I still think we will win the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kompany and Aguero each start in at least 17 of the remaining games we will win the league. If they don't we might not.

History is completely against your optimism.
Everton lost 8 games in the 86-87 season but the league had 22 teams.
We have already lost 5 games and are likely to lose another 4-5 games before May. Very unlikely to win it.

As it stands we have 32 points from 17 games. If we achieved the impossible and won each of our remaining 21 games, we would win the title with a total of 95 points. Compare this with our winning season of 2012 where the 2nd placed team finished with 89 points, or our winning season of 2014 which like 2012 went right to the last game whereby we totalled the PL title winning average of 86 points, and it becomes clear that we have little leeway left. Of course Arsenal may blow up and not for the first time either but we can't expect it to happen, and it would also require Leicester to fall away but they are playing with belief so why should they collapse? In fact, I can compare them to our own team of 67/68 season in which we too were in the second tier only two years earlier, and after one season of struggle following promotion, we really took off and we surprised everyone by fighting right to the end and lifted the title with what was basically a mix of homegrown players and bargain signings, and who here can rightly claim that Leicester cannot do the same? I know it's still unlikely but they are showing belief and are fighting for each other rather than relying on the odd fancy flick of inspiration, and it's high time that our own squad found a similar level of belief and fight in the name of the club rather than some of those players who give the impression that club football is for warming up to the 'real thing', i.e representing their countries in major tournaments. Rant over, and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Leicester will get to 40 points then drop off, arsenal have a very strong squad, and wont drop off much, city have been quite poor for our standards, but now players are getting back to fitness, so I believe we will have a strong 2nd half of the season.
but we must draw 2-2 with sunderland to have any chance of winning the league

Fuck's sake, we're only 4 points behind Arsenal with half the season to go! Of course we can win the league, it's there for the taking.

We've been further behind with fewer games left and won it before. Leicester are flash in the pan and quite shit and flukey, they'll be lucky to finish top 6. Chelsea have left themselves too much to do, the rags are shite and Liverpool's honeymoon period with Klopp lasted one game (against us, unfortunately), before the inevitable 3-0 loss to Watford and no doubt similar results to follow.

So it's us or Arse. With players to come back from injury and Kun getting his sharpness back I think we'll piss it to be quite honest, by a clear 7 or 8 points by May.

We have already lost 5 games and are likely to lose another 4-5 games before May. Very unlikely to win it.
It doesn't bloody matter. What matters is how close to the top we are. This league is still there for the taking. Leicester will falter eventually, and the Tarquins will bottle it in spring as usual.

Funny thing history. In 98/99 United won the league with only 3 defeats, yet still only managed 79 points.

We're Man City we fight to the end, the Boys in Blue never give in. We will win the league, in fact I think we will do the quadruple. As I said in another thread they've annoyed me tonight but that doesn't mean that I will ever give up on them, just frustrated with them tonight. Come on City.

p.s. at least I had some good news tonight!!! I became a Great-Grandmother for the third time!! :-) So my Christmas is not entirely spoilt!!!

Congratulations and best wishes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.