"I would rather lose a tournament than break my word to a player"

I've always had the impression that this promise was part of the inducement to sign on to be a non playing backup to Hart.

If so, it's right to keep his word and great for Willy to transform into a City legend in a few minutes.

Whether it's a good idea to fill a foreign squad slot with a non playing goalkeeper instead of some 30+ Decent HG who is happy to get one last good pay day, or an Academy player, is a question for the next regime.

Great going, Willy.

Be it marriage, business, team sport or any other enterprise involving more than one human being, the biggest ingredient for success is trust. Ruthlessness is fine but it is a managers job to keep people motivated and on board. That involves having to accommodate everybody involved. If for whatever reason that promise is given, then that promise has to be kept. Not only if possible, or maybe, or if the circumstances are right, but at all costs. If not then that is the slippery slope of losing the confidence of everybody that has any dealings with you and you find yourself in the same situation that Mourinho finds himself in every 3 years at every club he goes to. It goes beyond football and to the core of what it means to be a good, decent and honest human being. Given the choice of a Mourinho and a Pellegrini, it'd be Pellegrini every time. I would be willing to bet that Pellegrini, whatever you think of his abilities as a manager, has the full respect of everybody at the club.
He certainly has mine.
I can't argue with that, great post

He looked assured all night to be fair, had a fair game in the semis aswell. He looks a good penalty stopper, dare I say it better than Joe.

Perhaps he's a keeper who needs a run of games like any player.

if we would have lost yesterday I'm sure most would be saying pellers should not have promised willy anything in the first place, but we win so we can say it's great to have a manager who values trust so highly

He looked assured all night to be fair, had a fair game in the semis aswell. He looks a good penalty stopper, dare I say it better than Joe.

Perhaps he's a keeper who needs a run of games like any player.
So let's drop joe, unless pellers promised him something too

if we would have lost yesterday I'm sure most would be saying pellers should not have promised willy anything in the first place, but we win so we can say it's great to have a manager who values trust so highly

Bollocks to this, you never here people use the opposite of this to back pellegrini, numerous times this season we've been unlucky due to refs and poor finishing, what about "if we had won those".

Give the man credit. His dignity adds to the occasion

Only on this site do we see City fans criticising the manager , who has just won his 3rd trophy in 2.5 seasons, for picking the team that won a cup at Wembley.

"I'm happy we won (hmmm) but he should have picked a different team that might not have won" seems to be the prevailing wisdom from some.

Only on this site.

Mods/Ric can we do something about this rising tide of absolute negativity on here. Its been steadily increasing now for months if not years and is spoiling what is an otherwise brilliant site.

fans saying he was wrong to say are wrong,he was talking on a personal level, and to him he wouldn't of been able to look willy in the eyes if he had dropped him,willy most probably came here as a no2 to joe with the promise of the cup games we kept our side of the bargain and to willy credit he kept his side with a match winning performance.

Only on this site do we see City fans criticising the manager , who has just won his 3rd trophy in 2.5 seasons, for picking the team that won a cup at Wembley.

"I'm happy we won (hmmm) but he should have picked a different team that might not have won" seems to be the prevailing wisdom from some.

Only on this site.

Mods/Ric can we do something about this rising tide of absolute negativity on here. Its been steadily increasing now for months if not years and is spoiling what is an otherwise brilliant site.

Its not negativity. It is the fact that he said he would rather lose a cup final than break his word with Willy. The only thing that is important here is Manchester City winning, not Pellegrini's honour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.