"I would rather lose a tournament than break my word to a player"

He looked assured all night to be fair, had a fair game in the semis aswell. He looks a good penalty stopper, dare I say it better than Joe.

Perhaps he's a keeper who needs a run of games like any player.
Nail on the head. The criticism he got after Chelsea was ridiculous and I think the tears he shed and the point he made about how difficult a week it had been for him spoke volumes.

Well done Willy!

Be it marriage, business, team sport or any other enterprise involving more than one human being, the biggest ingredient for success is trust. Ruthlessness is fine but it is a managers job to keep people motivated and on board. That involves having to accommodate everybody involved. If for whatever reason that promise is given, then that promise has to be kept. Not only if possible, or maybe, or if the circumstances are right, but at all costs. If not then that is the slippery slope of losing the confidence of everybody that has any dealings with you and you find yourself in the same situation that Mourinho finds himself in every 3 years at every club he goes to. It goes beyond football and to the core of what it means to be a good, decent and honest human being. Given the choice of a Mourinho and a Pellegrini, it'd be Pellegrini every time. I would be willing to bet that Pellegrini, whatever you think of his abilities as a manager, has the full respect of everybody at the club.
He certainly has mine.

Top, top post and I agree with you 100%

JJ

Hope this helps.

vindicate
ˈvɪndɪkeɪt/
verb
past tense: vindicated; past participle: vindicated
clear (someone) of blame or suspicion.
"hospital staff were vindicated by the inquest verdict"
synonyms: acquit, clear, absolve, free from blame, declare innocent, exonerate, exculpate, discharge, liberate, free, deliver, redeem;More
informallet off, let off the hook
"he maintained his innocence throughout the trial and has been fully vindicated by the jury"
antonyms: convict, blame, incriminate
show or prove to be right, reasonable, or justified.
"more sober views were vindicated by events"
synonyms: justify, warrant, substantiate, establish, demonstrate, ratify, authenticate, verify, confirm, corroborate, prove, defend, offer grounds for, support, back, evidence, bear out, bear witness to, endorse, give credence to, lend weight to;
rareextenuate
"I felt I had fully vindicated my request"

'Let off the hook' is the relevant one.
His position would be, imo, untenable if Willy had fucked up & the 'honourable' thing would have been resignation.

As it turned out, Willy played a blinder, so both City fans & Pellegrini are thankful this morning & it also makes for a great story & goes down in 'istree'.

I don't get the love of MP because he puts the feelings of one player ahead of the ambitions of the rest of the team and all of the supporters. I'm ECSTATIC for Willy and love that it was him who turned out to be the hero, but if it had turned out differently there would be a lot of people he'd have let down. Doesn't he promise the ownership that he'll do whatever he can to win trophies? Doesn't he owe the thousands and thousands of supporters who made the trek to Wembley the best possible team selection? Imagine if you played your whole career and never were on a trophy winning team and knowing that your best opportunity was flushed away by your manager because of a "promise"?

Some folk will never ever get it...

Never mind.

JJ

Didn't Mancini change goalkeepers for the FA Cup loss to Wigan after playing Panti throughout? I guess showing a bit of loyalty has its rewards...

And didn't the whole team more or less quit on him in that final as well?

Not saying one thing necessarily caused the other, but for my part I'd take an honourable manager every day of the week over someone like that.

Helps with recruiting too, I would think. Also one less reason for media cretins to slam the club.

He didn't say it and we didn't lose. Had we lost he would have been ridiculed for such a statement.
Task
Team
Individual

This is the correct priority according to pretty much every great military and sporting leader.

That's why we need to stick together and have faith. For me supporting City has always been about swimming against the tide. I'm gutted Manuel is leaving. He is perfect for City but I'm sure he feels Pep can continue to help the club grow. He takes so much crap in press conferences and at games and on these forums. I hope he wins 2 more trophies with us. People call him stubborn, boring and tactically clueless. For stubborn try confident. For boring try calm. For tactically clueless try 100% steadfast in his beliefs.
well said!

And didn't the whole team more or less quit on him in that final as well?

Not saying one thing necessarily caused the other, but for my part I'd take an honourable manager every day of the week over someone like that.

Helps with recruiting too, I would think. Also one less reason for media cretins to slam the club.

The club had actually quit on him, & Pellegrini was honourably taking his job behind his back. It's all bollocks from both sides imo. The team & manager were shit v Wigan & fucked up. Yesterday the team & manager were very good & won. I doubt they would have been worse if Joe had played but we might not have won the shootout so the gamble paid off.

But it was most certainly a gamble & he was willing to lose the cup final on the strength of it.

I don't believe many City fans would agree with that philosophy pre kickoff.

I suppose it comes down to whether you want to be everyone's best mate or win trophies. Unfortunately if you gave most successful organisations the choice of Mr Nice Guy, or the cut throat winner, most would opt for the latter. It's the law of the jungle.

No it doesn't. It doesn't do that at all.

It comes down to the fact that Manuel Pellegrini is the type of winner who forced himself to train and play at a high enough level to have a 20 year professional football career at international level, then took that will and determination into a management career where he went from a player in Chile to the manager of Real Madrid and Man City.

You don't fall into this with a cheeky smile and a firm handshake.

Pellegrini knows more about football than you do, Dribble. That is a 100% unarguable fact. He knows more about man management than you do. That is also a 100% unarguable fact. He is one of the top professionals in his field which is amongst the most competitive fields of employment that the entire human species has. He knows more about this City squad, the players and their reactions than you do. That is a 100% unarguable fact.

He quite rightly thinks that without trust from his players the entire idea of a squad falls apart and you can't tell someone that they should work hard towards a specific goal then take away that specific goal after they've held up their end of the bargain. Exactly like Pep Guardiola does, for the record.

I wanted him to play Hart. I was wrong, because I was thinking in terms of a single game and not how showing the squad that he can't be trusted no matter how much work you put in would affect our future chances in other competitions. If the manager's word is worthless then there's little reason to think that the people who aren't first choice will work hard thinking that they can get their shot. There's also little reason for the first choice players to work hard and keep their place because nobody below them is getting in anyway.

Turns out that Pellegrini is a winner and thinks that the trust of the squad is more important than a single League Cup game to his job.

I fucking hate people who can't hold up their hands when they get things wrong, and inside try to turn it into something else. Your ridiculous vendetta against Pellegrini where even after winning a cup final you have to slag him off marks you as exactly the type of person who could never achieve the things Pellegrini has.

No it doesn't. It doesn't do that at all.

It comes down to the fact that Manuel Pellegrini is the type of winner who forced himself to train and play at a high enough level to have a 20 year professional football career at international level, then took that will and determination into a management career where he went from a player in Chile to the manager of Real Madrid and Man City.

You don't fall into this with a cheeky smile and a firm handshake.

Pellegrini knows more about football than you do, Dribble. That is a 100% unarguable fact. He knows more about man management than you do. That is also a 100% unarguable fact. He is one of the top professionals in his field which is amongst the most competitive fields of employment that the entire human species has. He knows more about this City squad, the players and their reactions than you do. That is a 100% unarguable fact.

He quite rightly thinks that without trust from his players the entire idea of a squad falls apart and you can't tell someone that they should work hard towards a specific goal then take away that specific goal after they've held up their end of the bargain. Exactly like Pep Guardiola does, for the record.

I wanted him to play Hart. I was wrong, because I was thinking in terms of a single game and not how showing the squad that he can't be trusted no matter how much work you put in would affect our future chances in other competitions. If the manager's word is worthless then there's little reason to think that the people who aren't first choice will work hard thinking that they can get their shot. There's also little reason for the first choice players to work hard and keep their place because nobody below them is getting in anyway.

Turns out that Pellegrini is a winner and thinks that the trust of the squad is more important than a single League Cup game to his job.

I fucking hate people who can't hold up their hands when they get things wrong, and inside try to turn it into something else. Your ridiculous vendetta against Pellegrini where even after winning a cup final you have to slag him off marks you as exactly the type of person who could never achieve the things Pellegrini has.

An excellent post, if not a little harsh on dibble... I'd say the pride element you allude to, in us all, stays true in one form or other...

I agree 100% regarding manuel, I found myself doubting his abilities over the last 3/4 months, to the extent it becomes a crusade to shoot him down at every opportunity.. He's undoubtedly a brilliant manager, his cv speaks for itself, but the thing that really shines through and been paramount from day dot?? His ability to command respect without having to bite back at his snipers, the epitome of class and could teach a few, including myself, a lesson in humility....

Go and bring the title home manuel!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.