IAAF World Championships 2017

If they put the flags up to the roof it would ruin sight-lines for some. I was sat near the back for one of the sessions earlier in the week, and the roofing is so low anyway, there genuinely isnt any gap to put them there. Obviously flagpoles off the ground have the same problem.
It was my first visit, having never been for footy, and I have to say as an athletics stadium it is really impressive

They wouldn't need to leave them up their all night!

Well to hoist them up there to come straight back down, isn't worth messing about with imho! - flag bearers do the trick. Genuine question, and I haven't read the whole thread, but has some news emerged of podium athletes themselves being unhappy with the current arrangements??

Its a personal opinion but I always think the nationalistic aspect is the least appealing bit anyway - these athletes are all individuals, representing their country, no doubt with pride, but they are doing it primarily for themselves not for some reflected national glory. They are wearing their national colours and get their anthem trotted out (interesting how many sing/know the words!) - I always remember my hero Daley getting pelters from the Daily Mail / Express brigade for whistling through the anthem back in the day.

Whilst I'm here, think Toni Minichello puts every other commentator in the shade in terms of what he actually knows about athletics - a brilliant addition to the team.
(Whereas the united fan Oreo adds next to nothing with his 'humorous' asides and end of night summaries from outside the stadium

Its a personal opinion but I always think the nationalistic aspect is the least appealing bit anyway - these athletes are all individuals, representing their country, no doubt with pride, but they are doing it primarily for themselves not for some reflected national glory.

Without the nationalistic aspect though, there wouldn't be a full house for virtually every session.

The Diamond League doesn't draw these sort of crowds when the athletes compete as individuals.

The regular athletics fans might turn up regardless, but the general public needs a bit more incentive.

Without the nationalistic aspect though, there wouldn't be a full house for virtually every session.

The Diamond League doesn't draw these sort of crowds when the athletes compete as individuals.

The regular athletics fans might turn up regardless, but the general public needs a bit more incentive.

Yes, wouldn't disagree with that mate, and the crowds for this champs have been an absolute credit to the British public

Miller-Uibo doing a Devon Loch in the 400m final.

It must be a bit galling when you're still on the track and the stadium commentator is telling everyone how you f**ked it up with 5 metres to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.