Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

Weird that this has happened.

I was chatting with a bloke today who was at the game. He's got a season ticket with the Sheffield Steelers and sounded like he knew his stuff regarding ice hockey.

He said it was a definite accident. The player was off balance due to a nudge from another player.

However, there must evidence for him to get arrested surely?

I really hope it's a freak accident as that's some grim shit if it was intended (his leg being up that high) to hurt or scare the opponent.

It’s noticeable that on the various threads on Twitter about it, the majority of people who’ve played the game seem to be in agreement that it was most likely a pure accident.

Whilst to most people who don’t know the game, and I include myself in that, it looks as clear as day like he’s lined him up, nipped behind the ref, and deliberately taken him out with a Kung Foo kick.

I've been out of the criminal game for 3 years now but for involuntary manslaughter my understanding is its an objective test whether the act presented risk of physical harm (so not serious harm even) rather than what was in the mind of the offender (in which case, a subjective test). The objective test is what a reasonable person would conclude.

Secondly there only has to be an intention as to the act. So here, the intention to kick the opponent.

Thus it may come down to whether there is sufficient evidence to determine if there was intent as to the act (actus reus) rather than an accident.

We are not privy to other evidence that may exist: has the player used this kick before? did anything happen between the players during the game or previous games? are we able to rule out the blades clashing such as to cause the leg to lift so highly?

When it happened I fully expected him to be interviewed, albeit on a voluntary basis under caution. His arrest is of note-perhaps it was needed so that officers could conduct section 18 searches? phones, other evidence?

Does context not come into it?

i.e different kicking someone at the opera and in a hockey game where they kick the shit out of each other regularly.

Without this being a comment on this particular one.

Cheers, seems like a tough one to judge. Even on here there’s a split between those who think it was an accident and those who believe that it was intentional.

I haven't seen anyone here think it was intentional. Every single person seems to think he did not mean to kill another player.

As a side question, does anybody else find it somewhat uncomfortable that so many people worldwide are rushing to watch online videos, of something that results in the death of another person? Something that wouldn't otherwise interest them. I can't help finding that a bit perverse.

It’s noticeable that on the various threads on Twitter about it, the majority of people who’ve played the game seem to be in agreement that it was most likely a pure accident.

Whilst to most people who don’t know the game, and I include myself in that, it looks as clear as day like he’s lined him up, nipped behind the ref, and deliberately taken him out with a Kung Foo kick.

To be honest I know plenty of people who play Ice Hockey and have been for decades who think he's in trouble. that it was intended to block the player in a reckless move rather than kick / hurt him, the thing is Petgrave has form. he's certainly not an angel and is renowned for playing rough and trying to wind up other players etc.

Personally, As someone that has watched Hockey for 8 years and can skate ( not to the same level by any stretch but Im comfortable on the ice ) I watched the video up to the point of contact a couple of times and its such a poor video its difficult to see what happened. for me there's 2 possible scenarios in that video. if its his left skate that contacted then its seems to be a move to block Johnson's run that went very badly wrong. Being bumped on your right side wont make your left leg raise off the ice like that, if he's spun around by the collision and its his right skate that contacted then yeah its 100% innocent accident.

Due to the really poor video quality im witholding any judgement till after the investigation. but the fact that players on the ice are backing him up its a good sign it really was an accident. all will come out in the investigation tho. I doubt Petgrave will play agin tho either way.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone here think it was intentional. Every single person seems to think he did not mean to kill another player

It did look like he jumped at him, karate style...

Having watched it a few times it does look like he left his foot hanging, probably didn't mean to kill him like

Charge the **** with murder, absolute shithouse

manslaughter is appropriate i think. Clear intent to cause serious harm

If that was a freak accident, then I'm Batman

Just watched it, no way is that an accident.. supposed to be playing ice hockey not fucking karate.

If you haven't watched it, go and do so, he meant the kick but not the outcome, unbalanced, my arse.
@Coatigan you obviously didn’t read too far back. Nobody is saying the outcome is intentional but the intent to cause harm.

@Coatigan you obviously didn’t read too far back. Nobody is saying the outcome is intentional but the intent to cause harm.

I stand corrected. With a couple of those.

I contest many of them, which to me are not arguing he meant to actually kill another person, which is how I read your post.

But as I did say nobody, you are right one way or the other, as just one is enough to prove me wrong.

I stand corrected. With a couple of those.

I contest many of them, which to me are not arguing he meant to actually kill another person, which is how I read your post.

But as I did say nobody, you are right one way or the other, as just one is enough to prove me wrong.
I wasn’t even arguing the point that anybody had said he intended to kill him, just the intent to kick him, which would probably be enough for the manslaughter charge to stick. I honestly can’t decide one way or another tbh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.