Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

That's fair enough. I can think of arguments either way. I was on the very back row of the away end at Newcastle in the FA Cup when Keegan was in charge. I reckon I saw the patterns of play and formations developing better than anyone watching on tv. Then again, when Yaya Toure was sent off in the Champions League (I think against CSKA), a lot of people (myself included) around me in the stadium wondered what he'd been sent off for and were calling the referee incompetent and corrupt. Then I got home, switched BT sports on and saw Yaya deck the opposing player.

The person you spoke to about the ice hockey had one view of the incident, from his seat in the arena, with plexi-glass between him and the incident. You don't have to be a regular attendee at ice hockey to know that it is a fast game. Does he skate or play ice-hockey himself? Did he give his thoughts on why the player's booted foot was at least 4 foot off the ice?
His reasoning for it being a freak accident was that he was simply nudged by another player around the waist/hip area. That contact sent him way off balance and into a kind of spin was his opinion.

I questioned it by suggesting that it looked really suspect as his leg was so high. He said that the clips of the incident going about with slow motion don't do him any favours but the reality of the situation is that it happened at such high speed and that he really wasn't in any control after the nudge.

I've no clue personally and haven't took what he's said as case closed. I suspect that the only person who really knows is the bloke that's been arrested. So we'll wait and see what comes of that.

In terms of safety rules by the league any raised leg is a no no. For the reason you mention.
Thanks. I’m not an expert by any stretch. Just trying to piece it together.

The bloke sounds like a Souness type player.

It’ll be interesting to see how the process plays out.

Are neck guards available? If not, someone should be patenting one.

Kicks in Ice hockey are a major no no. its instant ban for x number of matches territory to use a foot.

There you have it then. That could well be what it ultimately comes down to.

There is also another clip of the same player doing a very similar move on another player in a different game, that adds another level to the thought that it was his intention to foul that player, I hope he lives with the consequences of his actions.
Also the classy fans gave that player a rousing applause in the last game he played in support of him.

Also poor imo

Re the fans, most would probably be going off the quite reasonable presumption that it was a horrible thing for him too, and that he might have had a tough time dealing with it. I would imagine the support is for that, and his emotional state rather than 'taking sides' in any of it. Whether it can be seen as insensitive is there, but I would like to think there was no malice in it.

Thanks. I’m not an expert by any stretch. Just trying to piece it together.

The bloke sounds like a Souness type player.

It’ll be interesting to see how the process plays out.

Are neck guards available? If not, someone should be patenting one.

yep. Lower leagues are making them mandatory. EIHL made the advisory but the coroner has advised making them mandatory too.

In terms of safety rules by the league any raised leg is a no no. For the reason you mention.

Which makes sense. But is it still not part of the game, in the sense it happens and there is a punishment for it? In a similar way that if a football player headbutts another on the pitch, he gets a red card and ban, rather than charged with assault. Obvious difference sharp skates of course, I get that.

I've seen two lots of opinions about this and it's come to this:

1st opinion: The guy obviously meant it and should be charged. This opinion is by anyone who knows nothing about Ice Hockey. A game played at speed.

2nd Opinion: Freak accident. An opinion taken even by JOHNSON'S TEAM MATES at the Panthers. All ICe Hockey fans who watch the game and those who were there have said it was an accident.

Petgrave plays close to the bone and is a Keane type player, hard hitting etc. But off the rink is an absolute gent according to those in and around the EIHL.

My conclusion is it was an accident and if you've never played or watched Ice Hockey then you're guessing with little info. This has happened a few times. Not often, but has happened.

I've seen two lots of opinions about this and it's come to this:

1st opinion: The guy obviously meant it and should be charged. This opinion is by anyone who knows nothing about Ice Hockey. A game played at speed.

2nd Opinion: Freak accident. An opinion taken even by JOHNSON'S TEAM MATES at the Panthers. All ICe Hockey fans who watch the game and those who were there have said it was an accident.

Petgrave plays close to the bone and is a Keane type player, hard hitting etc. But off the rink is an absolute gent according to those in and around the EIHL.

My conclusion is it was an accident and if you've never played or watched Ice Hockey then you're guessing with little info. This has happened a few times. Not often, but has happened.
Then he will get off with the charges then and everyone can move on. Right?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.