Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

Weird that this has happened.

I was chatting with a bloke today who was at the game. He's got a season ticket with the Sheffield Steelers and sounded like he knew his stuff regarding ice hockey.

He said it was a definite accident. The player was off balance due to a nudge from another player.

However, there must evidence for him to get arrested surely?

I really hope it's a freak accident as that's some grim shit if it was intended (his leg being up that high) to hurt or scare the opponent.
I don't understand this logic. Whether the bloke you spoke to was there or not, his is only an opinion.

I was at the Young Boys home match last weekend but someone who didn't go but watched it live on TNT would almost certainly know more about the match than me.

I don't understand this logic. Whether the bloke you spoke to was there or not, his is only an opinion.

I was at the Young Boys home match last weekend but someone who didn't go but watched it live on TNT would almost certainly know more about the match than me.
He watches what is a minority sport in this country, live and on a regular basis.

Him having a better understanding of the game, it's nature, speed and the players than me or anyone else who doesn't watch it is pretty simple logic.

It's still an opinion yes but it's an opinion formed with more knowledge than most on here.

Can't say I agree with your 2nd statement either. From my own perspective anyway.

He watches what is a minority sport in this country, live and on a regular basis.

Him having a better understanding of the game, it's nature, speed and the players than me or anyone else who doesn't watch it is pretty simple logic.

It's still an opinion yes but it's an opinion formed with more knowledge than most on here.

Can't say I agree with your 2nd statement either. From my own perspective anyway.
That's fair enough. I can think of arguments either way. I was on the very back row of the away end at Newcastle in the FA Cup when Keegan was in charge. I reckon I saw the patterns of play and formations developing better than anyone watching on tv. Then again, when Yaya Toure was sent off in the Champions League (I think against CSKA), a lot of people (myself included) around me in the stadium wondered what he'd been sent off for and were calling the referee incompetent and corrupt. Then I got home, switched BT sports on and saw Yaya deck the opposing player.

The person you spoke to about the ice hockey had one view of the incident, from his seat in the arena, with plexi-glass between him and the incident. You don't have to be a regular attendee at ice hockey to know that it is a fast game. Does he skate or play ice-hockey himself? Did he give his thoughts on why the player's booted foot was at least 4 foot off the ice?

Does context not come into it?

i.e different kicking someone at the opera and in a hockey game where they kick the shit out of each other regularly.

Without this being a comment on this particular one.
Yes, for example an objective (reasonable person) test may conclude that kicking somebody whilst wearing a skate is highly dangerous. But of course it is a contact sport. Lots to unravel during the investigation.

@Coatigan you obviously didn’t read too far back. Nobody is saying the outcome is intentional but the intent to cause harm.
There is also another clip of the same player doing a very similar move on another player in a different game, that adds another level to the thought that it was his intention to foul that player, I hope he lives with the consequences of his actions.
Also the classy fans gave that player a rousing applause in the last game he played in support of him.

Also poor imo

There is also another clip of the same player doing a very similar move on another player in a different game, that adds another level to the thought that it was his intention to foul that player, I hope he lives with the consequences of his actions.
Also the classy fans gave that player a rousing applause in the last game he played in support of him.

Also poor imo
There’s no doubt that it appears he has used that technique more than once to obstruct his opponent’s movement.

I guess it is similar to a footballer stopping a promising attack by deliberately blocking their man. The dark art professional foul.

The difference is, is that the skater is wearing a blade.

Back in the day where players wore metal studs and deliberately sharpened them and they managed to sever an artery in making a professional foul is as close as we could get in football.

He’s meant to foul him, but unless he admits he was trying to cut him, it can only be manslaughter if it gets that far.

Kicks in Ice hockey are a major no no. its instant ban for x number of matches territory to use a foot.
Wouldn’t he argue that he was using a lifted leg to stop him and it’s unfortunate that the contact was with the blade?

Would that count towards mitigation, or is the use of a leg banned too because of the increased likelihood of contact with a blade?

Wouldn’t he argue that he was using a lifted leg to stop him and it’s unfortunate that the contact was with the blade?

Would that count towards mitigation, or is the use of a leg banned too because of the increased likelihood of contact with a blade?

In terms of safety rules by the league any raised leg is a no no. For the reason you mention.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.