IF City were to get relegated

I think the thread is really asking if we miss the 70s and 80s. Or if we would like to see City score over 10 goals in at least 10 matches in one season.
Err, your timeline is awry.

What was wrong with the 1970s? It started with the League Cup, ECWC double in 1970. It continued with another League Cup win in 1976 and some heroic performances in Division One which City were unfortunate not to win another title. City were still competitive in the early 1980s and could have won an FA Cup.

It was 1983 when City were relegated but their downward spiral only really started in the mid-1990s after a half-decent spell in the early 1990s.

A bit of a reality check is need I feel: Pep saying he’s staying if we’re relegated is bravado; he’s calling the bluff of the decision makers. There’s no way he’d stay and the same goes for probably all of our existing first team squad. Let’s get that thought into our heads before we make rash statements about how we’re not arsed if we’re sent to league X, Y or fucking Zed. Then let’s realise that just because we’re a big club (massive!) that we’d piss promotion is a fallacy - history tells us that! We’d have to do it with a completely new squad and a new management team. If you think that will be a walk in the park then think again. The chances are any demotion COULD set us back ten years or more. It could be that we’d never recover to anywhere near the levels that we’re currently at.
Let that sink in.
The club is appealing everything the league has thrown at it - not just because it believes in its complete innocence - but it is also fighting for its life as we now know it.

They were just relegated to out of the SPL in effect, similar to the PL, and the PL can't decide what division a relegated team ends up in.

Rangers failed to get promotion in the Championship, nowhere near winning and losing in the play-offs.
Rangers weren’t relegated. The club ceased to exist due to corruption and were wound up. It was no more, it had ceased to exist, bereft of life, it was as ex-team.

A replacement NewCo (Sevco) managed to blag their way into the fourth tier rather than having to start in the West of Scotland League.

This was very different to Macclesfield and Bury who had to start from scratch and are years away from recovery.

Rangers weren’t relegated. The club ceased to exist due to corruption and were wound up. It was no more, it had ceased to exist, bereft of life, it was as ex-team.

A replacement NewCo (Sevco) managed to blag their way into the fourth tier rather than having to start in the West of Scotland League.

This was very different to Macclesfield and Bury who had to start from scratch and are years away from recovery.
So as a parrot they'd be a Glaswegian Blue?

Hence I put "in effect". The SPL could only say they were not starting in the the SPL but couldn't determine where they started.

The point was the PL can only relegate us from from the PL, not chose what division we end up in, but the latter is being reported as a fact that they can. The PL could ban us from the PL for a minimum amount of time though in theory.

Last edited:
Err, your timeline is awry.

What was wrong with the 1970s? It started with the League Cup, ECWC double in 1970. It continued with another League Cup win in 1976 and some heroic performances in Division One which City were unfortunate not to win another title. City were still competitive in the early 1980s and could have won an FA Cup.

It was 1983 when City were relegated but their downward spiral only really started in the mid-1990s after a half-decent spell in the early 1990s.
I didn't say we were crap in the 70s.

A bit of a reality check is need I feel: Pep saying he’s staying if we’re relegated is bravado; he’s calling the bluff of the decision makers. There’s no way he’d stay and the same goes for probably all of our existing first team squad. Let’s get that thought into our heads before we make rash statements about how we’re not arsed if we’re sent to league X, Y or fucking Zed. Then let’s realise that just because we’re a big club (massive!) that we’d piss promotion is a fallacy - history tells us that! We’d have to do it with a completely new squad and a new management team. If you think that will be a walk in the park then think again. The chances are any demotion COULD set us back ten years or more. It could be that we’d never recover to anywhere near the levels that we’re currently at.
Let that sink in.
The club is appealing everything the league has thrown at it - not just because it believes in its complete innocence - but it is also fighting for its life as we now know it.
I certainly do not agree with your assessment of Pep leaving. Since arriving he has shown to be an honourable man, if he says he is staying, I beleive him. The players I view differently, they have short careers and most of the present squad will be in the latter stages of their careers or indeed retired by the time a penalty is imposed and the improbable circumstance City are relegated. Mainly though I think you overlook the main thing our success is based on, our owner, management and plan. In my opinion, I do not think our owners and management will walk away. They will stay and plan City’s return to the club we are today of that I have no doubt.

In short and with utmost respect for your views, I do think you are a bit of a fanny wipe;-)

Dont get depressed by what the media say about the charges they know about the same as you and me about our evidence, in short, sweet FA.

Our chairman is confident about getting through this and so should we be. Standing strong and solidly behind the club whilst every section of the media, red top managers, red top boards, ex red top players and red top fans continually spew their bile at us in public and behind closed doors.

We will get through this together so stay strong and stand solidly behind our board and management.

We will overcome, thank you Joan!

Perhaps rules in Scotland are different but in the English pyramid you were always forced to start a minimum of two divisions down when reforming.

Hereford United were expelled from the Conference, joined the Southern League, wound up and then reformed for the Midland Alliance (or whatever it was called.)

Rangers in the fourth tier is about right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.