IF Yaya was to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless we find a suitable replacment, Milner. He said he likes playing in CM. He Ferd and if we bring in Fernando can be a rotating 3 in the CM. We would be a little more defensive mind you, but maybe we'd be good on the counter attack. I don't like the idea of Nasri much. Not as good at defending and I've seen him give away the ball deep in the midfield quite a few times.

MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Should be looking at these...

Auturo Vidal
Paul Pogba
William Carvalho
Ilkay Gundogan
Kevin Strootman
Axel Witsel
Sami Khedira
Lars Bender

I would say Fabregas but it seems very unrealistic.
I don't think a single one of those players plays the Yaya role, they are mainly holding midfielders or box to box runners? Of the Juve midfield, it's Pirlo who plays the Yaya role, Pogba and Vidal are his runners, but he's the one who dictates play, picks the ball up from deep and keeps the ball moving all the time. I think Yaya's physicality and occasional burst forward distract people from his actual role in the team. To me, he's our Xavi

BigOscar said:
MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:

Auturo Vidal
Paul Pogba
William Carvalho
Ilkay Gundogan
Kevin Strootman
Axel Witsel
Sami Khedira
Lars Bender

I don't think a single one of those players plays the Yaya role, they are mainly holding midfielders or box to box runners? Of the Juve midfield, it's Pirlo who plays the Yaya role, Pogba and Vidal are his runners, but he's the one who dictates play, picks the ball up from deep and keeps the ball moving all the time. I think Yaya's physicality and occasional burst forward distract people from his actual role in the team. To me, he's our Xavi

Plus
Gundogan has a career threatening Back Injury
Strootman has a career threatening ACL injury
Khadeira is not fit to lace Yaya's boots

Pogba and Vidal are the only 2 worth considering for me and Pogba is not a complete footballer yet although he most likely will be its wether you want to deal with the Agnellis of this world who want your players for peanuts and gold bars for theirs.

I would say Fabregas but it seems very unrealistic.[/quote]
I don't think a single one of those players plays the Yaya role, they are mainly holding midfielders or box to box runners? Of the Juve midfield, it's Pirlo who plays the Yaya role, Pogba and Vidal are his runners, but he's the one who dictates play, picks the ball up from deep and keeps the ball moving all the time. I think Yaya's physicality and occasional burst forward distract people from his actual role in the team. To me, he's our Xavi[/quote]

Very true, the runaway train impression is high profile of course, but the bread and butter work he does is very much Xavi- esque.

BigOscar said:
MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:

Auturo Vidal
Paul Pogba
William Carvalho
Ilkay Gundogan
Kevin Strootman
Axel Witsel
Sami Khedira
Lars Bender

Gundogan could do it, he would have been my choice to replace Yaya had he not a) screwed his back, and b) had he not screwed his back sounded like he was certainly off to Real Madrid. That was before there was so much noise about Barca getting rid of Fabregas though, which I still think would be one of the most stupid moves of the post Pep era.

Like you said earlier, we need a controller. It's not about replacing Yaya's goals or athleticism, though that would be great. Yaya's main asset to our team is his brain.

How much do you think we would get for him? Has to be a ton considering he was so amazing for us this year... I don't think we'd let him leave because he is too instrumental to our side but if we did I honestly think we'd give Milner a shot to work for the cm position he wants, and we invest the yaya money in Barkley which we would then loan him out for maybe until January to everton. Rotate Rodwell in as well if he stays. Also up javi garcia's playing time considering he played pretty well last season. Idk yell at me if I'm crazy but I could see yaya leaving turning out ok/ pretty well for us.

Ballertelli said:
How much do you think we would get for him? Has to be a ton considering he was so amazing for us this year... I don't think we'd let him leave because he is too instrumental to our side but if we did I honestly think we'd give Milner a shot to work for the cm position he wants, and we invest the yaya money in Barkley which we would then loan him out for maybe until January to everton. Rotate Rodwell in as well if he stays. Also up javi garcia's playing time considering he played pretty well last season. Idk yell at me if I'm crazy but I could see yaya leaving turning out ok/ pretty well for us.

I'm 100% positive the squad would still be as strong, or even stronger, if we decided to let go of Yaya, simply because we would not let it happen. However, relying on Milner, Rodwell, Garcia and potentially Barkley to do the job is not the answer imo.

Let'sdivide our midfield in two categories; a primarily defending and and an primarily attacking. Yaya has been playing in both positions, being a far better attacking midfielder than defensive one. The fact is he leaves us quite vulnerable when he storms ahead on his signature runs, often ending up sitting on the grass with a inconsolable expression, close to the opponents box with arms outstretched in the air.

Replacing Yaya and still be as strong/stronger, would take two players, one in each position. Now we already have Fernando coming our way, who together with Fernandinho will form a wall hard to get through. In front of those two holding mf's we need an attacking one. Silva, Nasri, Jovetic can all do a good job there, but that would mean we come up short on the wings (especially if we let Milner leave). So either get someone like Pedro or Sanchez in, or get Fabreagas to play centrally.

This hypothetical line-up would not be weaker one than what we had this season imo.

----------- Fernando ------ Fernadinho ------------
------------------ Fabregas -----------------------
---- Silva ------------------------------- Nasri ----
------------------- Aguero ------------------------

We'll do just fine without Yaya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.