if your wtchn on the tv your a ****

found this at
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=264256&cc=5901

Manchester City are on the brink of a UEFA Cup quarter-final berth for the first time in 30 years after they cruised to a 2-0 first-leg win over Aalborg.

Such was the gulf in class between the two sides, it is difficult to see City's lead being overturned in Denmark.

Mark Hughes' men could have won by a huge margin. But in the end, the Blues had to settle for two, both coming in the first half, with Felipe Caicedo opening their account after just eight minutes before Shaun Wright-Phillips blasted home the second after half an hour.

It should be more than enough though, as City try to emerge from a difficult season by ending a trophy drought stretching back to 1976.

While City have been a model of inconsistency on the domestic front this season, Europe has tended to bring out their best form.

And so it proved again with a sumptuous performance that was far too good for an Aalborg side good enough to hold Manchester United at Old Trafford in the Champions League last December.

What a pity therefore that so many City fans have opted to turn their backs on the tournament.

The swathes of empty seats in a barely half-full stadium could be down to a number of factors, not least a third meeting against a Danish club in City's run to the last 16. But given England tends to provide UEFA with its most healthy crowds, clearly a change in format cannot come too soon.

Whether the Europa League is it remains debatable but Hughes has made it City's mission to be the UEFA Cup's last winners and on this evidence they could well emerge victorious in Turkey on May 20.

With record signing Robinho back from an ankle injury, Hughes had a joyous array of attacking weapons at his disposal, especially as in the absence of Vincent Kompany and Nigel de Jong, the Blues had more playmakers in the centre of the park than would normally be the case.

The contest was only eight minutes old when Caicedo opened their account.

The Ecuador striker has twice been tipped to leave City after failing to make much of an impact since arriving halfway through Sven-Goran Eriksson's brief reign.

But loan deals to Hertha Berlin and Fulham fell through during consecutive transfer windows and with so many forwards on the treatment table, Caicedo has proved a handy man to have around.

And there was certainly nothing shabby about his finish after he had collected Robinho's square ball and held off Michael Jakobsen before beating Karim Zaza.

If Caicedo is a relative newcomer in first-team circles, Wright-Phillips has been around for a long time.

Aalborg struggled to contain the England star from the first whistle and when Stephen Ireland provided the killer pass, Wright-Phillips left Patrick Kristensen for dead before beating Zaza with an almost languid strike that nevertheless had too much power to be prevented from ending up in the top corner.

Had referee Alain Hamer spotted a clear foul on Robinho by Michael Beauchamp, who had been flummoxed by half a dozen stepovers close to the six-yard line, the tie would have been over.

Not that it made much different to the Blues' attacking attitude as Nedum Onuoha was inches away from nodding home Elano's corner before a Robinho snap-shot brought the latest in a series of good saves out of Zaza, who had already bravely denied Micah Richards.

On home soil, against opponents incapable of exerting any pressure in the midfield area City might have been vulnerable, the hosts continued with their glowing brand of football, each individual producing a memorable moment to bring the fans lucky enough to witness it, to their feet.

Elano's influence was growing and the former Shakhtar Donetsk man provided Wright-Phillips with an excellent shooting opportunity when he split the Aalborg defence, only for the chance to be wasted as the winger fired wide.

Aalborg did manage one final flurry, during which Kasper Risgard floated a free-kick over and Caca screwed a decent opportunity badly wide.

But a goal at that stage would have been an injustice as City sense a place in the last eight.

Tonnights last 16 attendances

Hamburg v Galatasary - 50,000
PSG v Braga - 35,000
Werder Bremen v St Etienne - 30,116
Marseille v Ajax - 27,829
Manchester City v Aalborg - 24,502
Udinese v Shaktar Donesk - 20,000
CSKA Moscow v Shaktar Donesk - 19,700
Dynamo Kiev v Metalist Kharkiv - 17,800

EMBARRASING

de niro said:
jay_mcfc said:
Ducado said:
It was a Thursday night against a relativity unknown Danish team, Live on TV, have you not heard there is a Credit Crunch on!

Was there not a credit crunch last week against Villa? Was that a midweek game? Was there a credit crunch at old trafford or anfield?

The excuses coming from the no shows are getting worse.
spot on jay.

agreed

Was a good night, good performance and a good result.

Well done to all who turned up
A bad turnout but I was there to support my team, couldn't give a toss about the ones that don't turn up. Their loss :)

Tonight was my first European game, my tickets were fucked due to the lazy slag in the ticket office not listning to me (cards are with mate in finland need paper tickets, please do not put the game on my card) that led to me missing the first goal s, some Tw@t was stood in my seat (20000 empty ones!) and like a dick i booked in 216 next to the non exsistant away support so not the best night for me. But top result and 110, 111 well done in the second half you were ace!

Immaculate Pasta said:
Tonnights last 16 attendances

Hamburg v Galatasary - 50,000
PSG v Braga - 35,000
Werder Bremen v St Etienne - 30,116
Marseille v Ajax - 27,829
Manchester City v Aalborg - 24,502
Udinese v Shaktar Donesk - 20,000
CSKA Moscow v Shaktar Donesk - 19,700
Dynamo Kiev v Metalist Kharkiv - 17,800

EMBARRASING

whilst you collated that info...did you also come across what price match tickets were at each venue

GStar said:
mackenzie said:
I know of at least one poster on here who has been to every COMS game there has been, but I doubt he will feel the need to start a thread about those that didn't go tonight.

The whole thread smacks of immaturity and insecurity.

It hurts everytime i walk into the stadium on the nighht of a european game... watch Dunne, Robinho et al walk out and have empty seats starring back at them...

I do realise i'm at ana ge where i have, compared to others, very few priorities... however, 50%. 50% of those who made the midweek Premier League game against Villa made it tonight.

It the represcussions of our big names and future signings that worry me; we have a reputation of being a fiercly loyal set of pasionate supporters and we've earnt that in the past 10-15 years. But we're not currently setting an inspiring standard for the immediate future.

At least our manager put out a strong team. I am afraid everyone can't afford to go and have to think how to spend their money. I think if it was the Champions League then the stadium would be sold out has fans will then pay that money to see the very best. The UEFA Cup has come to be seen as a poor relation and that is why they are revamping it and calling it the Europa Cup.

GStar said:
It hurts everytime I walk into the stadium on the nighht of a european game... watch Dunne, Robinho et al walk out and have empty seats starring back at them...

I do realise i'm at ana ge where i have, compared to others, very few priorities... however, 50%. 50% of those who made the midweek Premier League game against Villa made it tonight.

It the represcussions of our big names and future signings that worry me; we have a reputation of being a fiercly loyal set of pasionate supporters and we've earnt that in the past 10-15 years. But we're not currently setting an inspiring standard for the immediate future.

It actually "hurts" you???

There is plenty in life that will hurt you more, believe me.

I didn't go because I chose not to. I don't like midweek games where I have to get back on my own on a tram, at night with dickheads who are boozed up.

If some go to the Villa game and choose not to go to the game tonight, then that is their priviledge.

As another poster has already said....who is the one in the right? The fan that has a season ticket and goes to every Prem match or the one that turns up just for tonight?

The answer is....neither. Each fan supports the Club as they see fit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.