Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy to see why we are looking at Aouar but I like Gundo, keeps things ticking over for the most part and we need a squad. We can't just have a strong starting 11.
I'm sure Pep would be delighted to have him stick around. But does Gundo want to be a squad player/super sub?

I'm sure Pep would be delighted to have him stick around. But does Gundo want to be a squad player/super sub?
Not too sure mate, he would likely get a starting gig somewhere but realistically he would be taking a step down.

I think Ilkay/Rodri is a brilliant pairing for DM with a different style of play and being picked for different opponents accordingly.

Aouar seems to be much more playing higher up the pitch on Davids position, no?

Thiago could be a competitor for Ilkay, but that would mean Ilkay or Thiago, not both.

Pep wants passing dominance and not many are better than Ilkay.

People who criticize Ilkay have to consider the players receiving his passes, too.
He can play ANY pass forward, we know his brilliant skills, but the receivers have to make the run!
Leroy often did it and David or Ilkay made the pass down the channel opening up deep sitting teams.

I often see Ilkay ready for a pass but the run doesn't happen. Just saying.

Marmite would be the best description for Gundo , love him or hate him on this forum , he pulls on the shirt gives 100% and invariably ends up on the winning side, and Pep appears to think he's a decent player , Joachim Low also rates him and picked him regularly for the national side .As an attacking player or a number ten he can get exposed he isnt quick enough , but playing the deeper holding role when possesion is required to calm things down there isnt a better player.

I think he’s a class player.
I much prefer him as our deepest lying midfielder as he’s got the composure and the balls to open up the play for others.
Makes me laugh when people say he’s gash. Not sure Pep sees it the same way !

and by the way - that first time pass yesterday, the one from the middle of the pitch out to the wing ......Wow

He's took a bit of stick and I've usually stuck up for him because I think he's a player (but no Fernandinho replacement - who is?) but he's been crap this season. Just passive and going through the motions too much. Against Liverpool after the first 20 he grew in confidence a bit and just looked a lot more 'at it'. It was good to see him getting pissed off when things didn't go right or passes from walker or whoever were astray. It was probably a relief for him to sign his contract last summer (after his big injury a few years back) and we've smashed it under pep so he might have thought he could get away with being a good player but not putting it on the line, whereas now he knows he can't and he looked like the penny had dropped the other day. He's 29 so he must know he's a more experienced player now in midfield with rodri and foden next to him and also that his career won't go on forever. He's capable of more if he wants it. He looked like he was up for it on thursday

He's took a bit of stick and I've usually stuck up for him because I think he's a player (but no Fernandinho replacement - who is?) but he's been crap this season. Just passive and going through the motions too much. Against Liverpool after the first 20 he grew in confidence a bit and just looked a lot more 'at it'. It was good to see him getting pissed off when things didn't go right or passes from walker or whoever were astray. It was probably a relief for him to sign his contract last summer (after his big injury a few years back) and we've smashed it under pep so he might have thought he could get away with being a good player but not putting it on the line, whereas now he knows he can't and he looked like the penny had dropped the other day. He's 29 so he must know he's a more experienced player now in midfield with rodri and foden next to him and also that his career won't go on forever. He's capable of more if he wants it. He looked like he was up for it on thursday

I think you used the wrong word there and meant to say excellent rather than crap !!

Great squad player who generally does his job really well especially when playing in a deeper position.

Really opened eyes when Dinho went down during our title chase.

Great passer of the ball. Good servant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.