Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marmite would be the best description for Gundo , love him or hate him on this forum , he pulls on the shirt gives 100% and invariably ends up on the winning side, and Pep appears to think he's a decent player , Joachim Low also rates him and picked him regularly for the national side .As an attacking player or a number ten he can get exposed he isnt quick enough , but playing the deeper holding role when possesion is required to calm things down there isnt a better player.

gives 100% ?? Sorry but how can you say that?

Zabaleta gave 100%, Vinny gave 100%. Gundogan? Gundogan does not give 100%. Too many times I’ve seen him just jog back when the opposition are on a counter attack. Too many times I’ve seen him back out of a tackle.

Still think that's our best midfield in Europe. Gundo/Rodri sitting with KDB license to cause havoc
That’s what happened against the Dippers with Phil dropping back alongside Kevin. It looked like a 4-2-2-2 at times. Worked v well too and was necessary with them pressing so high up the field.

gives 100% ?? Sorry but how can you say that?

Zabaleta gave 100%, Vinny gave 100%. Gundogan? Gundogan does not give 100%. Too many times I’ve seen him just jog back when the opposition are on a counter attack. Too many times I’ve seen him back out of a tackle.

Giving 100% is not smashing into tackles , clever players rarely tackle , was it Pep who said i don't coach tackles ? , maybe that's why Gundo is one of the first on Pep's teamsheets , he can't tackle :)

Giving 100% is not smashing into tackles , clever players rarely tackle , was it Pep who said i don't coach tackles ? , maybe that's why Gundo is one of the first on Pep's teamsheets , he can't tackle :)
Isn't it interesting that for many on here and all over that for them 100% is conventionally seen as aggressive defensive workrate?

Last edited:
Guardiola watches Gundogan every day in training , his mentality , awareness , effort , and so many other attributes , he invariably picks him to start every game , perhaps he sees something his detractors do not , just a thought.

Giving 100% is not smashing into tackles , clever players rarely tackle ,

But when the tackle is there to be won then you expect a player giving 100% to put his body on the line and do everything he can to win it. That's what makes those players legends, just the refusal to back down. If Gundogan had that in his locker he'd probably finish his City career held in the same regard as those others.

He's a wonderful player and I don't expect him to run around like a headless chicken and flying into tackles all game every game but he tries to dance his way out of 50/50s and some of his chasing back (like the opener against Chelsea) is poor.

But when the tackle is there to be won then you expect a player giving 100% to put his body on the line and do everything he can to win it. That's what makes those players legends, just the refusal to back down. If Gundogan had that in his locker he'd probably finish his City career held in the same regard as those others.

He's a wonderful player and I don't expect him to run around like a headless chicken and flying into tackles all game every game but he tries to dance his way out of 50/50s and some of his chasing back (like the opener against Chelsea) is poor.

Gundogan will finish in the highest regard from me , no doubt , dont forget he played under Klopp at Dortmund and he would'nt stand for players shirking tackles with his tactics , but injuries have taken there toll on Gundogan and he has had to change his game.
There isnt a perfect all round player , they don't exist , Gundogan's issue is tackling , Rodri can't thread a ball through the eye of a needle ,Mahrez doesnt track back etc etc,.
Gundogan is good at what he was brought in the club to do , hold the ball , recirculate the ball , keep possesion the ideal Pep player and that's why he is one of the first on the team sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.