I'm thinking it is corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't subscribe to the most extreme views that some posters have of an agenda. Only a few weeks ago many posters were praising Oliver for being a breath of fresh air - now one incorrect decision later he's in on it apparently.

There is no, doubt, however, that united get more than their fair share of decisions especially when it comes to penalties. This is mainly down to Ferguson and the way he has reacted to what he perceives as injustices (or at least pretends to) over the last 25 years. The spineless and totally inadequate way in which the FA has responded to some outrageous comments down the years has lead to a situation where referees are subconsciously scared of him - because they know fuck all will be done when he berates them on national television.

Ferguson is a bully but unfortunately one who seems to get his own way most of the time - the embarrassing manner in which the BBC fawn over him because he now is considerate enough to give them post match interviews is a case in point. Unfortunately this level of bias isn't going to change to any meaningful extent until he's gone.

In a sense it is a form of corruption, and it most certainly isn't fair, which is another reason why I won't view our failure to win the league this season (if it happens) as an unmitigated disaster. Our time will come and when it does, this is another reason why it's going to taste so much sweeter for us than all united's title wins put together have for them.

Clattenburg has also encountered contempt when officiating two fixtures between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United. In 2005 when Tottenham's Pedro Mendes had a long-range shot fumbled over the line by United goalkeeper Roy Carroll, neither Clattenburg or his assistants were in a position to award the goal. Five years later, in October 2010, he allowed to stand a United goal scored under controversial circumstances (although strictly correct under game laws) when Nani tapped the ball into the net while Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes believed his team had a free-kick.[29]

After the 2009 Manchester derby at Old Trafford, Atkinson was criticised by Manchester City's then-manager Mark Hughes for bad time-keeping after Manchester United had scored an injury-time winner. The fourth official had signalled four minutes of additional time, but Michael Owen scored a 96th-minute goal, handing United a dramatic 4–3 win

In January 2011 Webb officiated Kenny Dalglish's first game in charge of his comeback to Liverpool in their fixture against Manchester United. Dalglish criticised Webb for awarding United a first-minute penalty after deeming Daniel Agger to have fouled Dimitar Berbatov. Dalglish claimed that Berbatov dived, saying: "The penalty is a joke, I've seen the replay and unless the rules have changed it is no penalty". Referring to a red card that Webb later issued to Steven Gerrard for a two-footed lunge, Dalglish said, "I cannot see that as a red card". Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson countered by saying that Webb had got both of those key decisions card correct, claiming that for the penalty there was enough force to make Berbatov lose his balance, and that Gerrard's red card challenge was "two-footed and off the ground".[82] In response, Liverpool's Ryan Babel posted an image on Twitter of Webb in a Manchester United shirt after Liverpool's 1–0 defeat in the FA Cup, and was charged by the FA with improper conduct and fined £10,000.[83]

Webb was the recipient of criticism from Chelsea manager André Villas-Boas on 5 February 2012 after his team led Manchester United 3–0 but two penalty kicks and a third headed goal saw United salvage a 3–3 draw in a Premier League fixture at Stamford Bridge. Villas-Boas described Webb's second penalty award for United as "absurd" after the official adjudged Branislav Ivanović to have fouled Danny Welbeck, though television replays suggested contact was minimal. Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson said in his post-match interview that Webb should have sent off Chelsea debutant Gary Cahill in the early stages of the game for an apparent professional foul on Welbeck on the edge of the penalty area. Cahill later admitted he was "fortunate" to have not been penalised for the clash.[84]

The only time a ref will give the correct call against the scum is when bacon face is no longer around none of them has the bollocks to go against him shame on the lot of you your taking your expenses and pay by default

Thanks Edd for the info, True Blue.

Well it seems that another title is going to be decided not by football but by officials either bottling it or getting it wrong...same old same old..

Kun Aguero said:
There is no "agenda" just shit refs.

The question I would have for Oliver this morning: Did you genuinely think it wasn't a penalty or did the training you've probably had from OldMotherRiley just happen to kick in on the 89th min in front of the Stretford End?

Supplementary questions: Would you have given that penalty to any team had it happened midway through the first half? Would you have choked on yer whistle had it happened in the Fulham penalty area around the 89th minute?

I cannot subscribe to the notion that the refs are shit in this instance. If refs were shit they would be making a range of mistakes and looking like clowns for a good proportion of the match. They are only shit when it comes to certain decisions and when certain teams are on the receiving end.

No agenda, but the ref has seemingly folded under the pressure.

Just put yourself in his shoes, a young ref at Old Trafford, the man goes down. You get it wrong and you've got 70,000 people in the crowd beying for your blood. You have a split second to make an instinctive decision, so you follow the path of least resistance. It's easiest just to not give it, handle a small press shit storm and wait for it to be consigned to history. I can empathise, but there's no condoning the decision, it should have been a penalty and in another ground on another day it would probably have been, yes.

That doesn't mean there's an agenda though, it just means that some places and certain teams provide conditions which make it difficult for refs to be totally unbiased. This is one of those instances. The referees are human after all. I'm not saying that's right, morally or factually, but that's the way it seems to me.

SkyBlueFlux said:

Just put yourself in his shoes, a young ref at Old Trafford, the man goes down. You get it wrong and you've got 70,000 people in the crowd beying for your blood. You have a split second to make an instinctive decision, so you follow the path of least resistance. It's easiest just to not give it, handle a small press shit storm and wait for it to be consigned to history. I can empathise, but there's no condoning the decision, it should have been a penalty and in another ground on another day it would probably have been, yes.

That doesn't mean there's an agenda though, it just means that some places and certain teams provide conditions which make it difficult for refs to be totally unbiased. This is one of those instances. The referees are human after all. I'm not saying that's right, morally or factually, but that's the way it seems to me.
So, what you are saying that he isn't fit to do his job to officiate the game in a neutral way?

That's OK then, we won't see him ref'ing again will we!

The Future's Blue said:
SkyBlueFlux said:

So, what you are saying that he isn't fit to do his job to officiate the game in a neutral way?

That's OK then, we won't see him ref'ing again will we!

I think hes just saying the ref is human like all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.