I'm thinking it is corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Corrupt' may be too strong. Bias certainly isn't.

I suppose it's not too surprising when in the Premier League era the FA / Barclays Premier League and its ruling bodies have been mostly bankrolled by a tv company that has a joint venture with mufc.

Liverpool get an incredible amount of favourable decisions for such a gash team (you need only look at "Chainsaw" Charlie Adam as an example), I rank them only behind United as getting away with murder and being gifted all sorts. Might be no coincidence that they are the two most successful teams in league history.

As for the penalty stats, if you correctly give up a penalty in every game of the season then you have less to complain about than the team that gives up one penalty a season to an incorrect decision.

The fact that United have given up a load of penalties means nothing in this debate except the Newcastle game.

The fact that people are using the number of correctly adjudicated penalties against United this season as evidence that they are being treated the same as everyone else shows just how weak their argument is.

This myth about only conceding penalties in unimportant situations... one was at home to newcastle in a 1-1 draw, another was at home to blackburn in a 3-2 defeat... can't remember the third, but this proves you wrong, regardless.<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:01 pm --<br /><br />moomba - just like the people who use the number of penalties conceded by Man Utd over the course of a decade, or similar, as evidence of bias.

I'm glad you agree.

Red_fan said:
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opi...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Why United don't get preferential treatment, despite penalty let-off against Fulham

Roberto Mancini and everyone associated with Manchester City will no doubt be seething over referee Michael Oliver's failure to award Fulham an 89th minute penalty at Old Trafford on Monday.

TV replays confirmed Oliver's decision to be erroneous - Michael Carrick had clipped the left heel of Danny Murphy, sending him sprawling to the ground, a penalty the only course of action.

But Oliver thought otherwise, waved play on and United held out to secure a nervy 1-0 win to establish a three-point lead over City in the title race with eight games to go.

Even Sir Alex Ferguson, the master of the smokescreen or obfuscation of the truth, could not dress the situation up as anything but a major let-off for United, acknowledging the legitimacy of Fulham's claim.

But was the decision compelling evidence of long perceived leniencey towards United from referees? Conspiracy theorists will suggest as much, citing the fear Ferguson strikes into officials as reason for Oliver's contentious decision.

Fulham boss Martin Jol certainly thought so, suggesting, in loose terms, that Oliver had bottled it, that the 27-year-old official had lacked the courage to make such a big call against United at Old Trafford.

Whataver the reason for Oliver's decision, the suggestion that United are dealt more favours by officials than other Premier League clubs is one that simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Statistics provided by Opta confirmed only West Brom, with four, have conceded more penalties at home this season than United, who have given away three, blowing out of the water the argument about preferential treatment.

United fans will also point to November 26, when Rio Ferdinand made a legitimate challenge on Hatem Ben Arfa to win the ball, only for ref Mike Jones to award a penalty.

Demba Ba scored from the spot and Newcastle secured a 1-1 draw, leaving Sir Alex Ferguson to describe Jones's decision as a "travesty".

Every team suffers from miscarriages of justice when it comes to refereeing decisions. Equally, every team benefits from fortune when a decision that should go against them ends up going in their favour.

The very nature of having referees officiating games, rather than relying on video evidence, means there will always be an element of human error involved in the making of decisions.

United enjoyed good fortune with the penalty decision against Fulham. Yet City have also benefited from wrong decisions, notably on Saturday when Gareth Barry poleaxed Stoke's Glenn Whelan yet somehow managed to avoid a caution and conceding a penalty.

Yet there is no merit in delving into an analysis of every contentious decision, for those with allegiances will always argue their particular team has it worse than others, when the reality is that every team has its fair share of dodgy decisions over the course of a season.

If United go on to claim a 20th title, it will not be because Oliver failed to award Fulham a penalty and so denied them the chance to claim a point at Old Trafford.

It will be because City have fallen within sight of the finish line and lacked the nerve to see out the title race while United, as they have done with relentless consistency down the years, know how to get the job done. It's that simple.
this has to be the most gutless piece of journalism ever written, a coward throwing west bromwich albion in between a terrified referee and the facts, a shithouse of a journalist.

re: Liverpool - I wasn't talking about them now.

I was saying that, in their heydey, lots of rivals fans - including United fans - were claiming that they were successful because of bias.

I wasn't one of those fans.

It's always the successful team that gets the accusation, and I'm sure City will get it soon enough - which, no doubt, the people on here will deny?

Re: Officials, Other teams and Corruption

chelseaaway84 said:
we could be 4 points behind if webb had seen the pen tackle by barry and they had scored it

eight games to go all winable

come on city let our ability win it

1. 2-2 Fulham (A) - Foul on Dzeko leading to the equaliser
2. 1-6 Scum (A) - Richards none penalty
3. 3-1 Wolves (H) - 66% possession for us (14 fouls made, 6 against)
4. 1-1 Liverpool (A) - Reina handball outside box, Balo sent off for Skrtel elbowing him
5. 2-1 Chelsea (A) - Silva none penalty, Lescott penalty given & Meireles persistant fouling no booking
6. 0-0 WBA (A) - Balotelli goal disallowed when onside
7. 1-0 Sunderland (A) - Their goal was 5 yard offside
8. FA Cup - Kompany red
9. Carling Cup - Richards penalty for handball
10. 0-1 Wigan (A) - Handball with Aguero clean through
11. 1-0 Everton (A) - Foul on Dzeko for their goal, Lescott none penalty and Drenth GBH
12. 2-1 Chelsea (H) - Foul on Barry for their goal
13. 3-0 Liverpool (H) - Barry sent off for Agger running into him

there's about 15 points we'll have back and a carling cup final, oh and we'll replay us vs liverpool in the FArce cup that utd got through to. and that doesn't even mention the 2 penalties we didn't get in munich.

add to that all the rags decisions and we're looking at a very different season.

MachestLinePA_468x319.jpg

warren_richards04 said:
moomba - just like the people who use the number of penalties conceded by Man Utd over the course of a decade, or similar, as evidence of bias.

I'm glad you agree.

There is more than enough evidence that refs have been scared of giving penalties against the rags over the past decade.

warren_richards04 said:
This myth about only conceding penalties in unimportant situations... one was at home to newcastle in a 1-1 draw, another was at home to blackburn in a 3-2 defeat... can't remember the third, but this proves you wrong, regardless.

I'm glad you agree.

Against Arsenal in the 8-2 but we were only 1-0 up at the time and van Persie missed. Clearly an important situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.