In-swinging corner kicks more dangerous?

Freestyler said:
Joey Barton is the last player for city who i can recall, who could deliver a decent corner.

He used to just float them around the penalty spot, not too close to the keeper and also not enough flight on it for the keeper to come out and collect.

Richards, Dunne and Distin just used to run onto them and attack them.

Silva is good enough, we should just line Kompany, Nastasic and whoever else on the edge of the 18 yard line, Silva floats it and we attack the ball with Aguero and whoever else just hanging around the six yard line.

We used to do that, we're so powerful but we're not the biggest side ever.

We're naturally one of the best sides in PL for crosses and headers - lot of big guys, good in headers - Dzeko, Yaya, Kompany, Lescott, nastasic, Garcia, Rodwell, Richards.. it's just that crosses are not good.

MSP said:
Freestyler said:
Joey Barton is the last player for city who i can recall, who could deliver a decent corner.

He used to just float them around the penalty spot, not too close to the keeper and also not enough flight on it for the keeper to come out and collect.

Richards, Dunne and Distin just used to run onto them and attack them.

Silva is good enough, we should just line Kompany, Nastasic and whoever else on the edge of the 18 yard line, Silva floats it and we attack the ball with Aguero and whoever else just hanging around the six yard line.

We used to do that, we're so powerful but we're not the biggest side ever.

We're naturally one of the best sides in PL for crosses and headers - lot of big guys, good in headers - Dzeko, Yaya, Kompany, Lescott, nastasic, Garcia, Rodwell, Richards.. it's just that crosses are not good.
Exactly, we're actually good in the air when we get a decent corner in, but its sometimes few and far between.

I can not believe that we don`t pull a player short for our corners. It means the defence have to pull out 2 defenders giving more space in the box for the attackers. If they don`t pull 2 defenders you can play it short to get a better angle to the cross.
Likewise we should ALWAYS have 2 players over a free kick if there is to be a delivery into the box. A left footer and a right foot keeps the keeper/defenders guessing into the delivery of the cross.
And it`s not just City, but why don`t teams put a player deep at the back of the box. The number of corners these days that clear all the players in the box and go straight out for a thrown in/goal kick are a complete waste.
Simple tactics, not rocket science.

stonerblue said:
bluedan said:
Two stand out goals being Kompany v United and Dzeko v QPR last season were both from inswingers. So it could be easily argued that this is the best way.

Im sure the Prozone/statos department will look at the opposing keeper before every game and see which style best fits.

One thing that has surprised me is that when defending from corners city are not leaving anyone forward. Our attacking players on the posts. (Aguero and Tevez/or Silva) It has produced 8 clean sheets in our last 10 it has to be said.

Kompanys isn't an inswinger.

I could watch this vid all day. Doesn't get much better than neville whining, the close ups and nevilles 2nd half prediction.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=8Rm6UAEMxnA&feature=endscreen[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=8Rm6UAEMxnA&feature=endscreen[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rm6UAEMxnA[/youtube]

MSP said:
Stoned Rose said:
Our corners, free kicks and throw ins are fucking woeful.

It's perception we all have yet City scored most goals from corners in the league last season.

So what?

Doesn't mean we aren't shit at them and dont waste the vast majority of them.

-- Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:01 pm -
MSP said:
Someone mentioned van persie.. I find his corners and crosses better than his finishing. He's not specially clinical finisher at all but his corners and crosses are quality.

He's not specially clinical finisher

despairdemotivator.jpg

pominoz said:
stonerblue said:
bluedan said:
Two stand out goals being Kompany v United and Dzeko v QPR last season were both from inswingers. So it could be easily argued that this is the best way.

Im sure the Prozone/statos department will look at the opposing keeper before every game and see which style best fits.

One thing that has surprised me is that when defending from corners city are not leaving anyone forward. Our attacking players on the posts. (Aguero and Tevez/or Silva) It has produced 8 clean sheets in our last 10 it has to be said.

Kompanys isn't an inswinger.

I could watch this vid all day. Doesn't get much better than neville whining, the close ups and nevilles 2nd half prediction.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rm6UAEMxnA[/youtube]

thanks pomi.

fuckin google chrome

There is more chance of the goalkeeper getting an in-swinger but it is certainly more dangerous if you have a good corner kick taker WHO CAN ACTUALLY GET IT PAST THE FRONT POST!

No one has any respect for how good Kolarov's corners are.
He's our best corner taker, especially with an in-swinging cross.
But I don't think our crosses are the problem, a lot of the set-pieces that look like they've been rehearsed in training are complete duds.
Silva, Milner, Nasri, Kolarov, Barry and Tevez can all put in a cross good enough to score from.

Stoned Rose said:
MSP said:
Stoned Rose said:
Our corners, free kicks and throw ins are fucking woeful.

It's perception we all have yet City scored most goals from corners in the league last season.

So what?

Doesn't mean we aren't shit at them and dont waste the vast majority of them.

-- Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:01 pm -
MSP said:
Someone mentioned van persie.. I find his corners and crosses better than his finishing. He's not specially clinical finisher at all but his corners and crosses are quality.

He's not specially clinical finisher

despairdemotivator.jpg

Well, I've just saw you rating Wilshere's game vs Spurs as again being great so I'm not really worried :)

And no, he is not great finisher, his chance to goal conversion rate is not anything bigger than those of our strikers and many others in the league. He is good in finding himself in the chances and plays whole career in teams where he's focal point of their attacks and with lot of quality players around him to feed him with quality balls.

Scores quality goals often, yes, looks brilliant when he manages to hit it perfeclty but for me the great finisher is one who converts most number of chances to goals, couldn't care less if he does it with his arse, 7 deflections or with some wonder shot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.