Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaineRoadBlue said:
Beginning to think some players like the idea of being on the sick.

No need to attend international get togethers or long hauls to the North East.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice Pellegrini try to tell us than VK's initial assessment was 5 weeks and he's only 3 weeks in with 2 weeks to go!

WTF! Kompany was injured against Everton; exactly 5 weeks ago tomorrow!

Whatever happened to playing with a niggle or toughing it out? And before anyone tries to come and tell me different, let me tell you this; In 1977-78 Forest won the League and only 14 different players made an appearance during that whole 42 game season that was played on crap pitches against opposition that were trying to break your legs!

In short, today's players are mentally weak and almost programmed into thinking that every time they have the slightest ache they are seriously injured by physios, who almost appear to be generating their own reason for being!

"Long hauls to the North East". The players won't be thumbing a lift to play a match in Siberia.

MaineRoadBlue said:

Incidentally, did anyone else notice Pellegrini try to tell us than VK's initial assessment was 5 weeks and he's only 3 weeks in with 2 weeks to go!

Whatever happened to playing with a niggle or toughing it out? And before anyone tries to come and tell me different, let me tell you this; In 1977-78 Forest won the League and only 14 different players made an appearance during that whole 42 game season that was played on crap pitches against opposition that were trying to break your legs!

In short, today's players are mentally weak and almost programmed into thinking that every time they have the slightest ache they are seriously injured by physios, who almost appear to be generating their own reason for being!
This comment poses more questions about your own mentality.

MillionDollarDream said:
MaineRoadBlue said:
Ducado said:
Are you being serious? Because if you are that has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read on here

Deadly serious, and it's no surprise to see that already we have people trying to undermine what is clearly the case with nothing more than a McEnroesc 'You cannot be serious'

Anyone who can attempt to argue against the fact that footballers today are medically molly-coddled is having a laugh and it is you that cannot be taken serious.

We have gone from a game that saw a player continuing to play with a broken neck to a game
that sees players declared as having gastroenteritis if they so much as break wind!

Remember this, an empty treatment room might be an idealistic objective, however longterm for a physio's continued employment it is not really in his interest to achieve it.

Almost like asking Turkeys to vote for Xmas I suggest.

The amount of money these players cost now compared to then is the answer as to why players aren't rushed back or just playing with nagging injuries that could hurt you in the long run. These football clubs are still a business and they must protect their assets until they see fit to get rid of them.
This to an extent is the problem although the club are insured how could you seriously replace Kompany or Silva. Also footballers today are highly tuned athletes. I have never been injured in a football match or a season but I also dont run 10km 3 times a week and run 100M in somewhere between 11 and 13 seconds. Footballers of today would absolutely annihilate players from the 80's. It would be embarrassing to watch if it was at all possible which it isn't

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Pablo1 said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Well said mate.
Why is it well said? Or to be clearer, who is that even aimed at? I imagine some people cope with the day to day shit that life throws up by taking their minds off it at a weekend watching football. If that's the case then surely it isn't a stretch to see that us losing a vital player at a time when we're already without our captain will worry some fans?
Seeing as this is a City forum it shouldn't be too surprising that people will discuss an injury and it's potential effects on the season.
There's always the cellar for those who want to get into real life issues..
Well I won't try to speak for erast fandorin when I answer to whom it was aimed at, but to my mind it is aimed at those who follow a football club who regularly seem incapable of accepting the realities that are associated with that.

One of those realities is that football is a physical, contact sport and players, even key ones unfortunately, get injured. It is part of the landscape. It always has been and always will be. There are some posters on this thread who appear surprised at this turn of events. Not unlike shoppers who seem unaware of the expectation that they will have to pay for their wares at the supermarket, who seem taken aback when asked for money at the checkout, upon which they seem to spend five minutes looking for their wallet in their bag.

As you say, football (like life) throws difficulties our way with some degree of regularity. Some people seem ill-quipped to cope with that. That is not just based on this thread and I would be astonished if, upon reflection (and reading the matchday thread, for example) you arrived at a different conclusion.

Hope that helps :-)
I read the match day thread once - it's not something I want to put myself through again...
I understand that there are a few not rights who preside in fora land, we certainly attract our fair share on here. One quick glance at the Spurs thread or our very own Dzeko thread confirms that.
I think Silva will be a big miss, along with Kompany he's our most important player and I'm a bit gutted. I won't be jumping from any bridges or twatting my dog anytime soon, but on a football level it's a blow. If nothing else because I absolutely adore watching him play.

Obviously I don't go along with maineroadblues view on the subject, that does seem a tad extreme.. :-)

BringBackSwales said:
MaineRoadBlue said:

so you are saying that David Silva is skiving, is feigning an injury, and should be playing? You are basically calling him a liar and someone who is unwilling to play for his club? What complete and utter garbage

My point is more aimed at physios completely dictating rates of return from injury to the point where the manager must feel like a motorist taking their car for a service, knowing full well, that even routine maintenance is going to be costly and time consuming!

I'll give you an example;

Post Everton, Mr Pellegrini takes his 1986 model VK4 to the garage (physio bay) after once again it cut out whilst running!

'What's the prognosis' says innocent Mr Pellegrini to the Garage Physio.

'Well' whilst shaking his head, 'It looks like a bad one' says the Garage Physio.

'Oh' says Mr Pellegrini, 'When do you think you'll know?'

'I'll need to run some diagnostics, and consult with the Belgium FA for a 2nd opinion, but it won't be cheap' ........

Later in the following week, Mr Pellegrini receives a call.

'Is that Mr Pellegrini?'

'Yes'

'It's the Garage Physio here, just an update on your VK4 that you have in for repair'

'Yes, what can you tell me?'

'Well, it appears the same old fault we never fixed properly last time is back again'

'Right, how long this time then?'

Well you're looking at 3 weeks diagnostics, around 2 weeks to order the parts and then you need to add 2 week PAT!'

'PAT, what's that?'

'Well it's like V.A.T. but it's called Physio's Added Time, and it's inclusion allows us to get the player back to you even slower than you feared!'

'OK, Any good news?'

'Yes, we have managed to surgically remove Jack Rodwell from one of our bays to make room for VK4, so you can potter about in him for a while'

At this point Pellegrini puts the phone down!

Now, I agree there is a fine line to be found about protecting assets, however the othe side of the line is called getting value for money.

We saw with RSC that our physios were ready to declare him dead, yet the same player can leave us and play uninjured for almost 18 months.

Then there is the case of Rodwell and excuses of how he sleeps or drives his car as the reason for his constant occupation of the Physio's table! Have you ever heard such crap!

I'll return to an earlier post of mine on this thread in which I exampled a good friend of mine who was insistent and determined enough to report back to work after having his lower leg amputated less than 2 months earlier.

Yes, the circumstances may be different, but players seem happy to be pigeon-holed as injured for the timeframe the physio says and make no attempt to get on the pitch earlier.

Ask yourself this, When was the last time you can recall a City player travelling to a game as borderline and going out on the pitch early to carry out a fitness test?

MaineRoadBlue said:
Ducado said:
MaineRoadBlue said:

Are you being serious? Because if you are that has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read on here

Deadly serious, and it's no surprise to see that already we have people trying to undermine what is clearly the case with nothing more than a McEnroesc 'You cannot be serious'

Anyone who can attempt to argue against the fact that footballers today are medically molly-coddled is having a laugh and it is you that cannot be taken serious.

We have gone from a game that saw a player continuing to play with a broken neck to a game
that sees players declared as having gastroenteritis if they so much as break wind!

Remember this, an empty treatment room might be an idealistic objective, however longterm for a physio's continued employment it is not really in his interest to achieve it.

Almost like asking Turkeys to vote for Xmas I suggest.
Don't agree with that mate.
Players are players because they WANT to play.
I have never come across a player who is happy sitting out games, particularly in teams where there is competition for places.
The problem is usually stopping the guys from playing and doing themselves further harm in the process.
You could however argue that at our club's level the threshold for bringing a player back from injury early is higher given that we do have good backup players across the squad. I see nothing wrong with that especially if it means allowing the injured player to recover fully rather than being rushed back and risking re-injury.
As far as your argument of physios and medical staff purposely keeping players on the Injured list goes, that is plainly ridiculous.
The medical staff are judged by how quick they get players back, not by long they keep them out!

MaineRoadBlue said:
BringBackSwales said:
MaineRoadBlue said:

so you are saying that David Silva is skiving, is feigning an injury, and should be playing? You are basically calling him a liar and someone who is unwilling to play for his club? What complete and utter garbage

My point is more aimed at physios completely dictating rates of return from injury to the point where the manager must feel like a motorist taking their car for a service, knowing full well, that even routine maintenance is going to be costly and time consuming!

Post Everton, Mr Pellegrini takes his 1986 model VK4 to the garage (physio bay) after once again it cut out whilst running!

'Well' whilst shaking his head, 'It looks like a bad one' says the Garage Physio.

'I'll need to run some diagnostics, and consult with the Belgium FA for a 2nd opinion, but it won't be cheap' ........

'Is that Mr Pellegrini?'

'Yes'

'It's the Garage Physio here, just an update on your VK4 that you have in for repair'

'Well, it appears the same old fault we never fixed properly last time is back again'

Well you're looking at 3 weeks diagnostics, around 2 weeks to order the parts and then you need to add 2 week PAT!'

'PAT, what's that?'

'Well it's like V.A.T. but it's called Physio's Added Time, and it's inclusion allows us to get the player back to you even slower than you feared!'

'OK, Any good news?'

'Yes, we have managed to surgically remove Jack Rodwell from one of our bays to make room for VK4, so you can potter about in him for a while'

Now, I agree there is a fine line to be found about protecting assets, however the othe side of the line is called getting value for money.

We saw with RSC that our physios were ready to declare him dead, yet the same player can leave us and play uninjured for almost 18 months.

Then there is the case of Rodwell and excuses of how he sleeps or drives his car as the reason for his constant occupation of the Physio's table! Have you ever heard such crap!

I'll return to an earlier post of mine on this thread in which I exampled a good friend of mine who was insistent and determined enough to report back to work after having his lower leg amputated less than 2 months earlier.

Yes, the circumstances may be different, but players seem happy to be pigeon-holed as injured for the timeframe the physio says and make no attempt to get on the pitch earlier.

Ask yourself this, When was the last time you can recall a City player travelling to a game as borderline and going out on the pitch early to carry out a fitness test?
Your last point is not really valid because as a team we basically have 2 starting 11's. Why risk a borderline player when we have perfectly adequate cover who wont go down after 20 minutes waste a substitution and then be out for another 6 weeks because we played them on a pre existing injury that we already knew they had. Its all well and good when you are on a shoestring budget with only 12 fit players and he is your talisman otherwise its a waste of time
Anyway the answer is Milner played after being ill the day before and lasted about 30 minutes.

We have to accept it and deal with it albeit dissapointing as merlin was performing at a level again which was fantastic. Hoping it will only be a short lay off.

Re the injuries..Elite athletes and sportsmen are much more prone to injuries than me you or any other none professional.That's just the way it is.

MaineRoadBlue said:
BringBackSwales said:
MaineRoadBlue said:

'Is that Mr Pellegrini?'

'Yes'

'PAT, what's that?'

'OK, Any good news?'

Fuck me that made me dizzy

put it this way.

These physios have worked their life to get to a nice job like this, and managers, coaching staff etc. are no mugs, and neither is a guy like Txiki, these guys have to protect the players but return them in the shortest possible time frame or they end up getting treatment similar to Mancini gave a few of our fitness staff.

If physios and fitness teams don't do their jobs well they get replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.