Ireland Leaving - Absolute Disaster

GStar said:
BillyShears said:
What are the attributes other than experience which Viera brings to the team which the team itself doesn't already have...?

Are we talking about Vieria versus Ireland or Viera/Ireland versus the team?

They play different roles, Vieria fits into Mancini's preference of defence minded central midfielders, Ireland doesn't.

Thank you for making my point better than I did

I'd love us to keep him; when he is on song he is a fantastic player. I don't think there's too many who would argue with that However, his form at the moment doesn't merit a place in the starting XI, and if the lad is unhappy sitting on the bench and wants to move for first team football, it's difficult to see a solution to the problem.

StevieIrelandsPants said:
i wonder if stevie is looking through this thread.

last season he gave us everything, proved to us that he wasn't the waste of space that looked set to join sunderland. its hard to argue between sticking with him through his poor form, and forcing him out because of it. every season, someone has a season where they over-achieve, usually in a poor team. is this what happened to stevie, or is the old addage true, form is temporary, class is permanent?

Some of us, lots of us, didn't want him to join Sunderland.

For a "waste of space" he had lots of international caps, premier league experience and a good standing in the game, even then.

He's always been a player who seems to attract the worst in football fans, for some reason.

The Fat el Hombre said:
BillyShears said:
What are the attributes other than experience which Viera brings to the team which the team itself doesn't already have...?

What do you mean 'which the team itself doesn't already have...?'? You could ask the same about Stevie

Does Viera bring a defensive presence that was lacking before, does he bring experience the team was lacking, does he bring a passing ability which was lacking before?

I can understand our need for an extra body in midfield. I don't understand how Viera or Zabaleta could ever get into a midfield 3, ahead of Ireland...

last season he gave us everything, proved to us that he wasn't the waste of space that looked set to join sunderland. its hard to argue between sticking with him through his poor form, and forcing him out because of it. every season, someone has a season where they over-achieve, usually in a poor team. is this what happened to stevie, or is the old addage true, form is temporary, class is permanent?

Class is the ability to be in form more often than not. The game is littered with players who have had the odd great game, or goal but not done it consistently. The reason Gerrard and Lampard are rated so highly is their level of consistency.

Paolo di Canio was a player of great games, a bit like our own G Kinkladze, but he was not a great player.

As far as Ireland is concened the jury is still out.

The Fat el Hombre said:
GStar said:
Are we talking about Vieria versus Ireland or Viera/Ireland versus the team?

They play different roles, Vieria fits into Mancini's preference of defence minded central midfielders, Ireland doesn't.

I'd rather have Ireland playing a more box to box roll any day of the week. Again, just my opinion like. I don't see any value in Pat beyond being someone who we should be bringing on to see games out once we're winning...

Anyway, it's all about opinions...

That's one way of looking at it.

On the other hand you could say he was underachieving big time prior to last season. Honestly his composure and finishing in front of goal 2 seasons ago was just embarrassing. Last season he really came good, and now he's gone back to pretty much where he was before.

You could ask if he's just been a one hit wonder

BillyShears said:
Does Viera bring a defensive presence that was lacking before,
No
does he bring experience the team was lacking,
Yes
does he bring a passing ability which was lacking before?
Yes

Paulmcfc2703 said:
BillyShears said:
Does Viera bring a defensive presence that was lacking before,
No
does he bring experience the team was lacking,
Yes
does he bring a passing ability which was lacking before?
Yes

He also brings a leadership to the team that was currently missing!

BillyShears said:
The Fat el Hombre said:

I'd rather have Ireland playing a more box to box roll any day of the week. Again, just my opinion like. I don't see any value in Pat beyond being someone who we should be bringing on to see games out once we're winning...

Anyway, it's all about opinions...

Yeah I would rather have an Ireland playing a more box to box role but I'd much rather a Vieria than an Ireland who goes missing in away matches and big games and lets the game just pass him by any day of the week!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.