ireland wants out (merged)

Re: ireland wants out

Fanzone Danny said:
Wrote a blog for Sky Sports when we were taken over saying I hope we dont turn in to the Harlem Globetrotters and things like this make me think we are losing the soul of our club and replacing them with over payed mercenaries ....
Haven't you got that the wrong way round?

IF the report is true it's Ireland who wants to leave after one poor season. Where's the loyalty there?

He's had a poor season and he wants to look at himself for an explanation / solution. I hope the report is wrong, but if it is true then my last memory of Ireland will be his role in Scholes's goal at City

Danamy said:
BillyShears said:
Classic Bluemoon!

The Sunday Mirror writes - "Tevez Wants Out!"

We all scream "Bollocks!"

The Sunday Mirror writes - "Ireland Wants Out!"

We have 11 pages of Ireland bashing.

Don't tar us all with the same brush Billy

I'm not mate...not at all. But lets face it, the overwhelming majority of posters are of the opinion that we can afford to let him go. It will be interesting if he does go, where he goes, and how soon the decision comes back to haunt us...

BillyShears said:
hgblue said:
To be fair, there's quite a few on here sticking up for the lad. I fear he's going and I wish him well. I reckon he will prove a few wrong in the coming seasons (including the current manager), but a move seems to be the best option for him unfortunately. It pisses me off no end that some fellow blues won't even bat an eyelid, but I suppose they're entitled to their opinion.

I think anybody who would "happily" let him move is in-fucking-sane. But hey, that's just me...
yes lets keep paying him 80 grand a week to play like a tw@t. Now that makes perfect sense to me.

IF(!) this story is true I think it shows a huge reflection of what Stephen Ireland's personality is like and what will be his downfall throughout his career.

He's been unfortunate with injuries, was ill for a while and struggled for form with a lack of games this season. The lack of having a player in his position this season is a major factor for why we didn't finish in the top four, and all of our rivals have very good players in this position (Cahill, Gerrard, Milner, Modric, Fabregas) whereas it's as though we've had a hole in our team. So for us to be looking at strengthening in this area is an absolute must for next season (the Milner offer shows this, I really think we should be looking at better though!) and it is encouraging to see Mancini being proactive in that already.

However I would expect Stevie to look at this and say "Right, fuck this! Nobody is gonna take my place in this team!" and he should pull his socks up and work to make that place his own. But no, he's decided (possibly!) that he's off. Fighting for his place isn't good enough for him, he expects that about 25 good games out of 138 (that's just under 20%. Not even a fairly good stat, it's actually distinctly average!) in his professional career so far equates to him being an absolute starter in a team who will be pushing for 3rd place in the Premier League next season. I think he's shit as often as he's good, and is average most of the time (even last season, I thought everyone went WAY over the top on how well he played!)

So Steve if you do read this site, I'm afraid you're way off the mark here fella! There could be 50 better players than in your position and it will be easy for us to get one of them, so if this is your attitude then it wouldn't bother me if you went to your boyhood team in Stretford!

I certainly don't want to see him go just yet, and I also want Mancini, if he does stay, to give him a proper run out because I don't see what Barry's done to justify his place over Ireland because they both had a poor season. My belief that Ireland is worth at least one more season is only made surer by the apparent interest of Wenger, who, quite frankly, is unparalleled in his transfer sensibilities. That said, people who are waxing lyrical using words like 'legend' are very OTT. He had one brilliant season. He's got to replicate it consistently before he's anything like as good as you think. I think we should give him the chance but I also think, regardless, that someone else need to be brought in of a similar mould. We can't stall the project over sentimentality towards Ireland. We can't gamble one season of the entire club on the basis of one good season from one man. However, Ireland will then have the chance prove his worth by earning that position on merit - which I believe he is capable of doing. If he doesn't, and isn't content being a squad player or an impact sub, and wants regular first-team football elsewhere, then he leaves with my sincerest best wishes and I hope that he does well elsewhere (rags excepted).

I've just read the 'story' and the following is the only line in it that pretends to have any substance

'A City source confirmed: “It has been a difficult year for Stephen and he feels that he needs a move to refresh his career.”

BillyShears said:
Danamy said:
Don't tar us all with the same brush Billy

I'm not mate...not at all. But lets face it, the overwhelming majority of posters are of the opinion that we can afford to let him go. It will be interesting if he does go, where he goes, and how soon the decision comes back to haunt us...

There's no getting away with it the lad is a real talent.........talking to a few of players some of them think he's the best player they've ever trained with and they should know.
The thing is i wouldn't want to see the lad unhappy so if he needs to move on to be happy then sobeit.

Just to add to that my personal opinion is he'll end up at Liverpool..........they play the sort of football that would be perfect for his style.

BillyShears said:

The ideal for us is that we can afford to let any player (or manager/staff etc) go and continue to move forward as a club. It's got to be what we aim for, personally I think we're there already in that regard and the days have long gone where I see the departure of any player as a disaster for the club.

I'd love it if Ireland can work with Mancini and vice versa, and he returns to his form of a year ago, that's got to be the best for the club.

But if it isn't going to happen what more can we as supporters do other than bid him farewell, wish him the best of luck (or worst depending his destination on your own perspective on these things) and look forward to whoever the club chooses to get as his replacement.

hgblue said:
Why do I think this? Simply because I believe form is temporary, class is permanent.

I really wouldn't try and use that particular cliche as a defence of Ireland - in his case, good form has been most definitely temporary throughout his career!

stonerblue said:
I've just read the 'story' and the following is the only line in it that pretends to have any substance

'A City source confirmed: “It has been a difficult year for Stephen and he feels that he needs a move to refresh his career.”

Whenever you get a "source" quoted like that in a tabloid, you can pretty much guarantee it's made up bollocks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.