Is Mancini adapting his Inter tactics? [Tactics talk]

To me we had three issues today:
* Full backs
* SWP
* Tevez

*Richards didn't offer much offensively and time after time his passing isn't good enough for an offensively laid full back. Defensively Bale had him in his back pocket but I don't know if had anyone more fitting in our squad anyway. Zab isn't fast enough for Bale.

This resulted in us threating from the far right was non-existant, they didn't have to worry about crossing. Kolarov did at least try to go offensively, and even though he didn't wip in many good crosses today we all know what he's capable of.

A fully fit Kolarov and Boateng will hopefully solve the full back issue, but I fear what happen the days they are injured.

*SWP somehow took the role as lone striker today for some reason. Tevez (more on that later) kept going back to pick up the ball, with Silva doing the playmaker role it forced SWP to make the runs. I really wish the Balotelli transfer was finished 10 days earlier, because seeing him in SWP's role would be glorious. We played so narrow that we never had any use of SWP's crossing abilities, he spent the most of the match doing runs in the middle.

I Really wish we would have played Adebayor together with Tevez and Silva today, but I guess Mancini had his reasons to play SWP today. Would be interesting to know why though, anyone have an idea?

*Tevez, as mentioned above and in other threads, kept going back to pick up the ball. That's what he does and no one can stop him from it. I Just don't understand, as mentioned, why we then played a player like SWP together with him. It felt several times like the opportunities SWP had would have been bagged by a normal striker, like Ade or even Jo.

BlueBoy93 said:
I really like this thread , I cannot wait until our players settle into this style of play that mancini has in mind, itl look mint, i think balotelli might be the pivocal point that some people are talking about with silva and tevez running around looking amazing

I recommend anyone to read this, it give some clues about how Balo can be used:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2010/08/13/2047390/goalcom-special-mario-balotelli-the-premier-leagues-new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editor ... eagues-new</a>

I think the following points show that he would do very well in SWP's role today, together with Silva and Tevez:
-"As he is both footed – like Ronaldo - Mario can go right or left when taking on opponents which makes him very difficult to read."

-"Balotelli has a fantastic footballing brain, and the awareness to spot situations that others can’t. His decision-making is generally good, and his delivery cannot be faulted."

-"Balotelli has those explosive qualities that most of the top modern attackers such as David Villa, Fernando Torres, Lionel Messi and Ronaldo possess. "

Two negative's though:
-"His main problem up until now has been an unwillingness to get into the box in areas where he can score with his head. The starlet prefers to do his damage outside the area, so this is something that will need to be worked upon to make him more complete. "

Obviously the striker at top would need to get in the box more often. Many of the goals he has scored was from near the goal so I'm not sure if they got that right.

-"Balotelli’s preferred position is as a support striker, but he is very flexible and has the tactical ability to interpret a number of different roles. These include as a first striker, on the right or left of a three-pronged attack, as a trequartista, a winger, or even as a wide midfielder."

Like Jo he apparently doesn't have lone striker as his natural position, but on the other hand that doesn't have to mean that he's as poor as Jo as lone striker. At at 20 he still has tons of things to learn, and he would always have support from Tevez.

I felt today that since we didn't have any tall, strong lone striker we couldn't hold the ball up. That forced Tevez down and he didn't get the time to run offensively since we couldn't hold the ball up. With Balo, we might do that better. That way he can hold up the ball, while Tevez run up to support him. That won't leave him as alone as Adebayor was in Hughes' 4-5-1.

^^ Outrun ^^

Yeah I agree with you, Kolarov and Boateng seems to be only true attacking full backs we possess. But then again we can't do "an FM" and sign 15 players and stick 10 old players in the reserves can we ;)
Hopefully Richards will improve further under Mancini.

I agree about Balo - we seriously need someone who can lead the line and hold up play as Tevez seems to be unwilling/incapable of doing so. Not criticizing Tevez by the way, I love the guy, just saying it doesn't appear to be a part of his game. I think he's just dying for the ball and can't stand to stand still on top, he has to be right in the action at all time :)

I don't know why Ade didn't play... I think Mancini felt as we were away to Spuds we had to set out quite defensively - which I guess proved to be correct as they came flying out of the traps.
Perhaps he was unsure about our match fitness and felt going attacking Spurs would leave us tired and slow at the later stages of the match?
Perhaps also Mancini felt a need to play with wingers? Exploit their full backs, would be too congested in the centre with a diamond midfield? I dunno really...

We got a draw for the first time in eons at WHL so credit due to Mancio I think!

I totally agree with you on SWP, he was made to play a role which he can't master. Not because of tactics but it was just how the game panned out.

That goal.com article I ridiculous though, like it's been written by Balotelli's mum! ;) Nice to read praise about one of our players but come on... You have to admit it's a bit biased/one-sided...
I've never seen Balotelli play as a lone striker, can he actually play that role?

To summarize I think whatever reason Mancini to play a 4-3-2-1 with wingers turned out to be a decent decision as I said earlier we gained a point.
If it was me though (with my limited tactical knowledge) I would have been quicker to put on Ade when we started "dominating" possession in the 2nd half. I think if we played Ade and Tevez on top for a longer period in the 2nd half we could have won.

I do think Mancini was cursing the fact that Balotelli couldn't play though. Instead of AJ (yes we all love AJ but bear with me here) he could have subbed SWP for Balotelli.
The team could then have dynamically merged from a 4-3-2-1 into a diamond 4-4-2. Silva shifting to centre and Balotelli moving forwards and centrally next to Tevez.

Shame about Kolarov getting injured, but I've heard its not bad so he should be back soon. Defensively I thought he was excellent, I can't remember any hugely threatening plays coming through lennon/the right. Offensively he struggled because midfield and and upfront weren't all together. He got down the wing well (even beat Lennon for pace one time) but when he'd normally cross there was noone in the box so he had to hold the ball longer than he would have liked, letting the defender get back.

Another bugbear of mine (which we'll hear all season) is that we play 3 DEFENSIVE(SHOCK! HORROR!) midfielders.

Y. Toure is more a complete midfielder who can defend excellently but he's also got some stunning passes and he can really drive the team forward.
Barry (or Milner?) aren't purely defense-minded either, more all-round worker ants...
De Jong IS defensive of course, but we need some one to sit back and protect the back four.

Conveniently when commentators and pundits slags off City they forget to mention we often effectively will play with three attackers - any three of Tevez, Ade, Balotelli, Silva!

Effectively we play 3 "bands". Defense, midfield and a attack (as most teams do). It's just very important that De Jong links defense to midfield and Silva (or someone else) links midfield to attack.
This is really basic tactical understanding. Just shocking then commentators and pundits, or indeed even some of our own fans, fails to completely understand this...

mancini has stated that kolarov can play midfield and chris kamara said today there will be 2 more signings at city luiz and milner .luiz is solid and can play left back i wudnt be suprised if some games kolarov rotates with barry for left side of defensive mid because i cant think of another player we have who can play left side defensive mid.i think ballotelli will come in on right for s.w.p with siva left and tevez central .the signing of milner will allow yaya toure to adopt more defensive role and milner to play make.todays result was a good point and the team is slow taking shape what pleased me most today was how we kept our shape even when we was under real pressure.we looked miles better defensively and with boateng to come in and milner and ballotelli we should be more creative as well so all things positive and roll on thursday.

birchwoodgingerste said:
mancini has stated that kolarov can play midfield and chris kamara said today there will be 2 more signings at city luiz and milner .luiz is solid and can play left back i wudnt be suprised if some games kolarov rotates with barry for left side of defensive mid because i cant think of another player we have who can play left side defensive mid.i think ballotelli will come in on right for s.w.p with siva left and tevez central .the signing of milner will allow yaya toure to adopt more defensive role and milner to play make.todays result was a good point and the team is slow taking shape what pleased me most today was how we kept our shape even when we was under real pressure.we looked miles better defensively and with boateng to come in and milner and ballotelli we should be more creative as well so all things positive and roll on thursday.

Have you read this thread? We will play a diamond most games, we didn't against spurs as it would allow their wingers to flourish more.

And it is obvious to me why SWP played - his defensive duties, simple.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.