Is now the time to consider Mancini's tenure at the club

peoffrey said:
citykev28 said:
I'm totally behind Mancini and wouldn't want the club to sack him now or at the end of the season. However, we need to adress our problems.

We have no width and so teams are happy to pack the centre of the pitch and we can't find a way through.

Without Barry, Yaya feels the need to stay nearer our area than the oppositions. This leads to Tevez dropping back to where Yaya should be and Aguero dropping out of the area. When we win the ball, there's no fucker in position.

Shooting practice. Why when the ball is at our forwards feet in or on the edge of the area, do they seem reluctant to pull the trigger? Why when 35 yards out with 3 players in front of them do they decide that a daisy cutter is going to beat a top goalkeeper?

Tempo. Our build up play is so slow it becomes boring. I can watch Arsenal, Barcelona and Spain play tiki-taki all day long because they do it quickly. Our idea is to lumber towards the opposition goal allowing them all the time in the World to get into position.

An inability to understand what kind of challenge we are likely to find at places such as The Stadium of Light, Goodison Park and Upton Park. We always seem to be shocked by the grittiness of the home team at these places.

Finally, if Joleon Lescott upfront was the only thing thought of on the bench then we are in serious shit.

How can you be totally behind the Manager when you've found so many problems that he's largely responsible for? Imagine if someone had told you that Lescott would be brought off the bench and stuck up front when we needed a goal during a match. You'd laugh in their face.
Imagine if you could pick 5 really obvious faults with your star centre half? Would you stick with him or would you try and obtain better?

Yes, pack your bags Mancini, we got packed packed raped in the CL, we are playing a shit style of Baathhelona football. Other teams have worked us out, they know how to beat us, Mancini has no creativity, the last 2 games have proved it.
Fuck him of at the end of the season.

Dzekos Smile said:
Yes, pack your bags Mancini, we got packed packed raped in the CL, we are playing a shit style of Baathhelona football. Other teams have worked us out, they know how to beat us, Mancini has no creativity, the last 2 games have proved it.

Get rid of that twat Dzeko and we will be fine. Replace him with a forward who has more than one trick to his name.

BimboBob said:
Dzekos Smile said:

Get rid of that twat Dzeko and we will be fine. Replace him with a forward who has more than one trick to his name.

But who spent 27 m on this player? Who cant get the best out of him?
Same can be said about Balotelli too.
(Nasri too.)

BimboBob said:
Dzekos Smile said:

Oh yes, that is the solution.

Dzekos Smile said:
BimboBob said:
Dzekos Smile said:

Oh yes, that is the solution.

It will mean you leave the forum and then stop posting rubbish...I have it all worked it.

bluesimon said:
Perhaps we might have to come to terms with the limits and boundaries that Mancini is really capable of. He is certainly a 'winner', as Khaldoon so boldly pointed out when he was appointed and in all fairness, he has achieved what he was asked to do - go win some silverware and get those Rag cnuts to take down their 44/45 year banner at the swamp! Job done.

But there is never any smoke without fire and Mancini keeps on repeating his own history. His mantra is one of looking around the corner - not looking or planning too far ahead. Yet again, his limits are as clear as day and I believe he has taken City as far as can be.

Exactly the same happened at Inter. Good league and Cup wins but in the Champions league, total continuous wipe out, which continues at City. For 7-8 years, he has had a real mental block and his inability to engage with his players on a one to one level and bring them onto the next level, is as clear as day. With the greatest respect to him, any manager of similar standing, given the additional £200m+ he spent would have achieved what he has done. Mancini was the icing on the cake - Aguero, Yaya, Nasri, Dzeko, Silva - came to plug the gaps and make up the difference. But going on from there, thats another story.

It would be very easy to critisize Mancini on many levels and at times, I feel like going on a massive rant about him on these forums. it would easy to pick holes and expose all the small flaws and wounds, but Manchester City and its fans have to be bigger than that. As a life long 49 year old fan and 14 years as a season ticket holder, the 'evolving' city is what continues to hold me glued to following our team. Since the Sheikh came in with his oil money, the 'ONE' true underlying strength that is now the vision of 'City' - is longevity. Just take a few minutes to google the Sheikh and what he is investing his money in - and a very large proportion of it is in areas even he is unlikely to experience the full benefit from in his life-time. A year (even a month) can feel like a lifetime in football, but for these guys, a lifetime is not 'their' lifetime. They want to be remembered for 100's of years, written and talked about in the history books. When you have more money than god, that is the way you can think. Money does not buy you anything immediate anymore because you already have it all.

Getting back to Mancini, I would be prepared to bet huge money that he will be gone at the end of this season. He has become their 'Mark Hughes' now and am sure they realise he has taken City as far as he can. The new back room team precided over the kind of change at Barcelona, never seen in footballing history before - and they are now at the top table with City. For them, it is a game of the mind - a game of cutting edge tactics, thought provoking diversity, border breaking decision making - something that Mancini clearly is not cut out for. He was once a good striker that never really made it in the national team and he has gone on to be a good manager at the upper levels of the game, but his mind is that of singlarity - formulas - training ground perpetualism - mantras - sound bites. But most dangerously of all, clearly displays a character of believing his own publicity. I do not see an evolving manager. He is the 'Nicky Shorey' of managers, digs his heals in and wonders why someone has climbed on his shoulders and gone 1 up. This is the man that has said, on 5 different occassions 'I know what the problem is - it is my fault and I know how to fix it'. This is the man that keeps on throwing the toys out of the pram because he cannot carry on buying anyone and everyone and then end up doing a Wenger and buys 5 players in a matter of days by way of petulance. This is the man that gets rid of the likes of Nigel DJ (who I thought was our Scholes) and then drops Lescott from the most successful defence in Premiship history (Baconface has never done that to the likes of Neville or Ferdinand). He then, despite all the wall of evidence, keeps on shoving his decisions in the face of reason, without a plan B. Nastasic might be a great defender in the future, but he is no Lescott. Lescotts experience, alone, is worth a starting place for every game. For example, take yourselves back to the first Champions league game against Munich. He inexplicably dropped Lescott to the bench and bought in Kolo (who had played in one league cup game in the previous 25+ games) and both of Munich's goals were scored with Kolo being within 3 yards of the scorer.

Apologies, this has now become the rant I said I would not do - but my point is Mancini has gone as far as he can. But like much of the squad, is happy to carry on taking the £7m a year, sign an extended contract (remember what Capello did before the last world cup?!) and not take the responsibility for his actions. Great managers know when their time is up (look at Guardiola and Mourinio as recent examples) and are prepared to look elsewhere for where they are best suited. Mancini, I thank you from the bottom of my pain ridden footballing heart for the gift of being the Permiership champions and you will always be a legend at City, but the time has come to move on. Just do it with some grace.
Excellent, articulate post. He strikes me as an ambitious manager who has read all the theses and is in touch with all the modern football theories, but who has no emotional intelligence. I've seen too many players shoehorned into roles they can't play. Too many players criticised publicly. Too many players inexplicably sent 'into the cold' and I've heard too many press conferences where he says nothing. "We must work harder" appears to be the limit of his problem solving ability.

Don't remind me of kolo in Munich. Or boyata at old Trafford. Or the rotation of full backs in the champions league. Or zab as left wing back. Or Johnson as playmaker.

Too many wrong decisions. I think his time is coming to an end now, barring an increasingly unlikely miracle.

Give him until the end of the season, if performances improve, fair enough, if not then maybe it would be time to look elsewhere. The concern is that I don't think he'll be getting money in January if there are any doubts in the boardroom about him being in charge next year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.