Is now the time to consider Mancini's tenure at the club

BillyShears said:
What happens next is anyone's guess. If we were to drop further behind over the next few weeks, I'd personally sack Mancini immediately. I don't think we're any less likely to win the league were even Kidd be placed in temporary charge until May. It would then be a clear signal of intent to all prospective new managers that there's a job going at City and that they can discuss it without fear of disrespecting the current incumbent.

This, for me, is the crux of the situation now. We fall behind any further over the next 3 games, Norwich (a), Stoke (h), Arse (a) and we'll be sat mid-Jan out of the title race and the powers-that-be will have a decision to make.

I'm sure having conversations with Pep won't be too tricky for our guys and if Jose is under consideration then having the hotseat freed up will be an easy way of having a message sent out.

At the end of the season it will be assessed unless we spiral down the table.

The players have to motivate themselves as well.

They have to do what is required to get three points on Saturday ,nothing more , nothing less.

moomba said:
chesterbells said:
But what would that look like in reality, "questioning" the players? The motivation and management of the players is the most important part of the managers job; it is the managers responsibility - that's how the organisation works, that's what he gets paid for. It's far more important than anything else.
So are you saying the owners should be summoning players to the Middle East for questioning?
To repeat myself, it's what they pay Mancini for.

It seems that when things go well it's all down to the players, when they don't it's all down to the manager.

I look at Chelsea. Players that under-perform at various times of the year, get rid of a manager and the players remain unaccountable ready to under-perform next year. Sure they won a cup last year, but it's the wrong way to run a football club IMO.

Mancini will be held accountable by results, but players have to take responsibility for their performances as well. Otherwise they've got a ready made excuse next time their personal standards slip below what is expected of them.

-- Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 pm --

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Spot on phil the 10 years argument is like a cancer that needs to be removed from some fans mentality
It's a mentality that has fuck all impact on the club.

-- Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:11 pm --

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I've always felt conviction comes from trust and respect, that someone has complete faith in what path they are on.

I suppose that's what separates the truly great manager and players, the ability to make them greater than the sum of their parts.

Being able to motivate yourself, and having pride and professionalism in your own performances is also what separates good from great players.

Chelsea "won a cup last year". Come off it mate, we're not talking Zenith Data here, it was the Champions League!

It's a point often raised, re who gets the credit. I'm not sure how much our recent successes were down to Mancini tbh, but even accepting it was, it may well be that his "ways" of managing the players are no longer working, and that it is time for a change. Primarily the game is of course about the players - maybe they are no longer responding to a management style that I rarely see praised.

117 M34 said:
If we don't win the league, which isn't looking likely at the moment, I can't see mancini being here come the start of next season

I think it might depend on how we do over the rest of the season. If we improve, and make a fight of it but fall short I think he'll be kept on.

If we limp to the end and finish a fair way behind the winner he's going to struggle.<br /><br />-- Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:10 pm --<br /><br />
chesterbells said:
Chelsea "won a cup last year". Come off it mate, we're not talking Zenith Data here, it was the Champions League!

I don't care what cup, it was a knockout cup and while I'm sure they are very happy to win it there is much less to winning a cup than winning a league IMO.

It's a point often raised, re who gets the credit. I'm not sure how much our recent successes were down to Mancini tbh, but even accepting it was, it may well be that his "ways" of managing the players are no longer working, and that it is time for a change. Primarily the game is of course about the players - maybe they are no longer responding to a management style that I rarely see praised.

If you're going to give blame to the manager when things go wrong, and credit to the players when things go right you'll never be happy with any manager.

Chelsea winning their game in hand puts them a point behind City. Going to be interesting to see how things pan out in this race. Benitez gets a lot of stick from many people, but he's a very very clever coach. I bet he fancies overhauling us, if not the rags. He has some excellent players at his disposal, and he seems to be getting that extra bit out of Torres.

This is something else which hasn't sat well with me the last couple of weeks. We're looking up as if all we have to worry about is catching United. After yesterday's result, I look at Chelsea as a big big threat. What's to say they don't overtake us in the next month. They have a better goal difference without having played that game in hand.

chesterbells said:
moomba said:
chesterbells said:
But what would that look like in reality, "questioning" the players? The motivation and management of the players is the most important part of the managers job; it is the managers responsibility - that's how the organisation works, that's what he gets paid for. It's far more important than anything else.
So are you saying the owners should be summoning players to the Middle East for questioning?
To repeat myself, it's what they pay Mancini for.

It seems that when things go well it's all down to the players, when they don't it's all down to the manager.

I look at Chelsea. Players that under-perform at various times of the year, get rid of a manager and the players remain unaccountable ready to under-perform next year. Sure they won a cup last year, but it's the wrong way to run a football club IMO.

Mancini will be held accountable by results, but players have to take responsibility for their performances as well. Otherwise they've got a ready made excuse next time their personal standards slip below what is expected of them.

-- Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 pm --

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Spot on phil the 10 years argument is like a cancer that needs to be removed from some fans mentality
It's a mentality that has fuck all impact on the club.

-- Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:11 pm --

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I've always felt conviction comes from trust and respect, that someone has complete faith in what path they are on.

I suppose that's what separates the truly great manager and players, the ability to make them greater than the sum of their parts.

Being able to motivate yourself, and having pride and professionalism in your own performances is also what separates good from great players.

Cups, plural. They also won the FA Cup, so not a bad season considering they changed their manager halfway through the season.<br /><br />-- Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:20 pm --<br /><br />
BillyShears said:
Chelsea winning their game in hand puts them a point behind City. Going to be interesting to see how things pan out in this race. Benitez gets a lot of stick from many people, but he's a very very clever coach. I bet he fancies overhauling us, if not the rags. He has some excellent players at his disposal, and he seems to be getting that extra bit out of Torres.

This is something else which hasn't sat well with me the last couple of weeks. We're looking up as if all we have to worry about is catching United. After yesterday's result, I look at Chelsea as a big big threat. What's to say they don't overtake us in the next month. They have a better goal difference without having played that game in hand.

We are only six points clear of teams below us in Everton etc.

Re Benitez, he has been very clever with Luiz. Never a defender, but screening the back four at the base of the midfield, plenty kudos.

BillyShears said:

its not just chelsea and the rags we should worry about.

in the last 9 matches in all competitions our record is
played 9, W3,D3,L3

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Cups, plural. They also won the FA Cup, so not a bad season considering they changed their manager halfway through the season.

True, but beside the point. It's not the way I want our club to act, and in the long term I think it will cause damage to Chelsea.

Let's take a hypothetical situation here for one minute.

I think we can safely say that the decisions of where Pep and Jose are going to manage next season are ones that are likely to be taken over the next month or so.

IF there was an imaginary date in place, a date where our top brass have said they are going to make a decision whether or not to retain Bob's services for next season, and let's say that date was now, then I think it would be fair to assume that they would be siding on the notion of replacing him.

It's difficult because with the quality we have then of course it's feasible that we could go on a hot streak however unfortunately I don't see us having the luxury of playing the waiting game when you have 2 managers of the ilk of Pep and Jose looking for a Prem club to be at for next season.

BillyShears said:

Benitez is indeed a very good coach (but not necessarily a good manager) and for the first time I think he might fit our current system with a DoF very well.

And yesterday was actually the first time I thought we might not even finish second this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.