Is now the time to consider Mancini's tenure at the club

de niro said:
SuperYaya said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
I'm holding on to the hope that now most pundits and some fans have written us off this season, we may go on a decent run - just as we did after the Arsenal game last year when the pressure was lifted off us.

Hopefully.

We're still in the FA Cup too, would be very happy with another one of those.

i'd snatch your hand off now for that and a top 4.
This although I would fear it would just paper over the cracks, Mancini stays and the same shit happens next year.

de niro said:
SuperYaya said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
I'm holding on to the hope that now most pundits and some fans have written us off this season, we may go on a decent run - just as we did after the Arsenal game last year when the pressure was lifted off us.

Hopefully.

Yep

Blumers Bloomers said:
There is a huge difference between losing at Arsenal to go 8 points behind with 6 games to go, and losing at Sunderland with 19 games to go.

The pressure was off the team after we lost to Arsenal, simply because it looked impossible to make up that ground. The team might as well go lout and play and see what happened, luckily united stuttered, maybe because the pressure was also off them to a degree.

The defeat yesterday however has put more pressure on, especially with our next 3 games, none of which are going to be easy wins. Its not impossible that we could be still be 7 points behind even if we win all three, and if we don't win all three, we could even be out of second place, and Cheslea have a game in hand.

I don't think Mancini has been under greater pressure during his time at City than he is now (apart from maybe 5-10 minutes from the end of the QPR game), it will certainly be interesting to see how he responds.

greasedupdeafguy said:
de niro said:
SuperYaya said:
Hopefully.

This although I would fear it would just paper over the cracks, Mancini stays and the same shit happens next year.

Would you classify 2 cups and at least one league title as "same shit"?

moomba said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
de niro said:

Would you classify 2 cups and at least one league title as "same shit"?
Getting knocked out of the CL in the group stages two years running, getting beat by teams like Sunderland without creating many chances etc
I would not classify just winning the Fa Cup as a successful season with the squad of players we have. Its almost January now and I can count the number of good performances on one hand.

Solihull Samba Boys said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
chesterbells said:
You don't rate what Chelsea have done but their trophy haul in recent years is not to be dismissed. I don't believe you need to keep a manager for decades to ensure success
I've been thinking about this and Chelsea is an interesting case. They spent a lot of money pre-Mourinho but he was the manager that put it all together and won two consecutive titles. He also established the basis for their system, which was anchored by an exceptional spine - Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba - and a good supporting cast. Even Avram Grant nearly won the CL playing the Mourinho system with those players.

Managers like Scolari and AVB tried to screw around with it and fucked up because the players knew the system that JM introdiced played to their strengths. They had to do something different at some point though and Di Matteo did that, plus it helped that they won the CL as they could attract decent players as the old guard started to move aside. However it took a bit of tactical tweaking from Benitez to get that little bit extra out of them and get them performing to the level they should be.

Mancini has half-done what Mourinho did for them but he can't seem to take it forward as teams adapt to our style. So while our worry is that Mourinho may not be interested in building a dynasty over 10 years, would it be worth getting him in for 2 or 3 years just to establish that winning mentality and system? Then let the next manager (Klopp, Guardiola or someone else) build for the long term on what JM might have put in place?

Interesting point about Mourinho building a dynasty. Granted, we all know he hasn't necessarily shown the intention to do that at any of his previous clubs. However, once he comes back to England (and he will), where else is there for him to go? He's 'done' Italy with Inter, and apart from Juve the established clubs are on their arses financially. Bayern - would the challenge there be enough? Ditto PSG. I think we can safely rule out Barcelona and therefore Spain, therefore I think his next job will be an extended stay, possibly before he goes to manage a national team. I don't actively want Mancini out but were Mourinho available I really don't think our hierarchy could say no to him. The 'challenge' to build that dynasty at our great football club is surely one of the most appealing in world football and I think he would be the perfect fit.

He dismissed the Germany as option once and said he couldn't work in a country where he doesn't speak domicile language.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Getting knocked out of the CL in the group stages two years running, getting beat by teams like Sunderland without creating many chances etc
I would not classify just winning the Fa Cup as a successful season with the squad of players we have. Its almost January now and I can count the number of good performances on one hand.

I'd count winning the FA Cup as a success. And I hardly think we can complain too much about how "bad" we've had it under Mancini. Disappointing at the moment but the "same shit" also includes some of the best moments we've ever seen as supporters.

sjk2008 said:
MSP said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Our next three games are Norwich (A), Stoke (H) and Arsenal (A). The rags have West Brom (H), Wigan (A) and Liverpool (H).

On current form we might only get 2 or 3 points. If we do and the rags get 6 or 7 then it's a double figure gap and I would say that's it for the title. Or we could get 6 or 7 and they could get 2 or 3. Then it's game on.

I'd be delighted if we'd keep this gap in that period and over the moon if we would cut 1 or 2 points.

A big moment of the season for you will surely be when the Toures go to the ACON.

Looking at the fixtures you, United & Chelsea have during that time...

City
Arsenal (A)
Fulham (H)
QPR (A)
Liverpool (H)
Southampton (A)

United
Liverpool (H)
Tottenham (A)
Southampton (H)
Fulham (A)
Everton (H)

Chelsea
Stoke (A)
Arsenal (H)
Reading (A)
Newcastle (A)
Wigan (H)

...I’d say that you actually have the easier set of games. QPR & Southampton are both relegation fodder and both are teams in which I don’t think are capable of pulling off a ‘park-the-bus’ gameplan. With Fulham being shit on their travels, I’d find it hard for you not to get 9pts out of these 3 games. Liverpool aren’t pulling up trees this season by stretch of the imagination and they don’t exactly have the most explosive midfield around so I don’t see that game causing too much trouble. It’s only the Arsenal game where I think you’ll come away with nothing.

United have a tricky run during this period. I can see Spurs doing them over at WHL and Everton can certainly pick up a point at least at OT. If Chelsea can come away from Stoke with 3pts, I actually think they can go on to have a good run here and probably picking up the most points out of the top 3.

What I’m trying to say is, that if you can keep the gap to what it is now (I can’t see United not getting 6 from WBA & Wigan), then the ACON wont provide such a big ‘obstruction’ as initially feared. Plus, Yaya hasn’t exactly been destroying opposition defences this season has he?

Yep, agree. We're on the very low now and all 3 next fixtures are tricky one. That's why I said I wouldn't mind to see gap staying same cause I'm afraid it could get even bigger.

moomba said:
greasedupdeafguy said:

I'd count winning the FA Cup as a success. And I hardly think we can complain too much about how "bad" we've had it under Mancini. Disappointing at the moment but the "same shit" also includes some of the best moments we've ever seen as supporters.
Ill always be thankful for him winning the league but we should be doing so much better with the squad of players we have. Ageuro, Silva, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Tevez etc these are perceived world class players and we're struggling to create chances against an awful Sunderland side.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Ill always be thankful for him winning the league but we should be doing so much better with the squad of players we have. Ageuro, Silva, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Tevez etc these are perceived world class players and we're struggling to create chances against an awful Sunderland side.

I agree we should be doing better. And if we don't improve changes will be made.

But just because we struggled to create chances against an "awful" Sunderland side that doesn't mean that we can't improve across the board.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.