Is now the time to consider Mancini's tenure at the club

moomba said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
Getting knocked out of the CL in the group stages two years running, getting beat by teams like Sunderland without creating many chances etc
I would not classify just winning the Fa Cup as a successful season with the squad of players we have. Its almost January now and I can count the number of good performances on one hand.

I'd count winning the FA Cup as a success. And I hardly think we can complain too much about how "bad" we've had it under Mancini. Disappointing at the moment but the "same shit" also includes some of the best moments we've ever seen as supporters.

Most semi-decent managers who could have been at City for the past 3 years and had the financial spending clout that Bob has enjoyed would probably also have enjoyed the 2 major trophies in 3 years.....plus it is unlikely that they would have done as poorly in Europe as we have in the last 2 seasons.
With the money that City as a club have spent in the last 3/4 years I'd have bloody hoped that we'd have had "some of the best moments" as you put it. We've also had some pretty shite moments under Bob, losing painfully to Utd with some very late goals on several occasions so it's not all been sweetness and light and getting hugely embarrassed in this seasons CL campaign
The facts are that we have played 26 competitive games this season and won 11 of them, less than half and in quite a few of those we have looked pretty guileless at times.
From memory, I think we've only won 2 or 3 times this season by more than one goal and most of our games, even against mediocre opposition, have gone down to the wire...we were hanging on against Southampton at home, scraped a fortunate win over Swansea, needed late goals to beat giants of the game like Fulham, Reading, WBA....every semi-decent team we've played this season we've generally failed to beat.
I don't especially want Bob sacked but I would imagine that the people who have spent so heavily in this club are going to be looking at the way this season is going and will not be particularly pleased. If we are down to 3rd by mid January and 10 points plus behind Utd, which is not unfeasible unfortunately (although I anticipate we will actually be closer to them by the end of january), then I wonder what will happen then.
The next few weeks and games against Norwich, Stoke and Arsenal will be crucial.

IcriedwhenTueartleft said:
moomba said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
Getting knocked out of the CL in the group stages two years running, getting beat by teams like Sunderland without creating many chances etc
I would not classify just winning the Fa Cup as a successful season with the squad of players we have. Its almost January now and I can count the number of good performances on one hand.

I'd count winning the FA Cup as a success. And I hardly think we can complain too much about how "bad" we've had it under Mancini. Disappointing at the moment but the "same shit" also includes some of the best moments we've ever seen as supporters.

Most semi-decent managers who could have been at City for the past 3 years and had the financial spending clout that Bob has enjoyed would probably also have enjoyed the 2 major trophies in 3 years.....plus it is unlikely that they would have done as poorly in Europe as we have in the last 2 seasons.
With the money that City as a club have spent in the last 3/4 years I'd have bloody hoped that we'd have had "some of the best moments" as you put it. We've also had some pretty shite moments under Bob, losing painfully to Utd with some very late goals on several occasions so it's not all been sweetness and light and getting hugely embarrassed in this seasons CL campaign
The facts are that we have played 26 competitive games this season and won 11 of them, less than half and in quite a few of those we have looked pretty guileless at times.
From memory, I think we've only won 2 or 3 times this season by more than one goal and most of our games, even against mediocre opposition, have gone down to the wire...we were hanging on against Southampton at home, scraped a fortunate win over Swansea, needed late goals to beat giants of the game like Fulham, Reading, WBA....every semi-decent team we've played this season we've generally failed to beat.
I don't especially want Bob sacked but I would imagine that the people who have spent so heavily in this club are going to be looking at the way this season is going and will not be particularly pleased. If we are down to 3rd by mid January and 10 points plus behind Utd, which is not unfeasible unfortunately (although I anticipate we will actually be closer to them by the end of january), then I wonder what will happen then.
The next few weeks and games against Norwich, Stoke and Arsenal will be crucial.
top post

It's easy to say that knowing that you can never be proven wrong. Personally I think the cup, and league titles were huge achievements for the manager.

Europe has been disappointing and will need to be sorted next season. This season may still turn out to be a very successful one so I'm not going to get carried away with that just yet.

But this is the problem with many on here, they refuse to give him any credit for the good things he has done. But allocate 100% of the blame to him when things don't work out. They will never be satisfied with any manager.

Most semi-decent managers who could have been at City for the past 3 years and had the financial spending clout that Bob has enjoyed would probably also have enjoyed the 2 major trophies in 3 years....

I don't agree with that tbh, they may have but they may not have.

I think your underestimating how hard it was to win titles and establish ourselves at the top table.

moomba said:

It's easy to say that knowing that you can never be proven wrong. Personally I think the cup, and league titles were huge achievements for the manager.

Europe has been disappointing and will need to be sorted next season. This season may still turn out to be a very successful one so I'm not going to get carried away with that just yet.

But this is the problem with many on here, they refuse to give him any credit for the good things he has done. But allocate 100% of the blame to him when things don't work out. They will never be satisfied with any manager.

This is right. How many come on here to praise Mancini after a good performance ?

Also "any manager could have done it" - well Hughes didn't look likely

Danielmanc said:
moomba said:

This is right. How many come on here to praise Mancini after a good performance ?

Well there hasn't been many this season.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Danielmanc said:
moomba said:

Where were the boo boys after we beat Villa 5-0 ? Regardless of how many the point still stands. Too many are quick to criticise but aren't around to praise where it is due

I tend to think that my opinion about him is not affected by result in one particular game.

I'm not exclusively for replacing him but I do not think he is first class manager and do allocate some of his success at City to quality of squad he had. For any trophy he won, there's one Cl where he utterly failed. It's not a sign of extra quality manager, good one yes, but top class - no.

And I wouldn't mind too much if he would be replaced on the end of the season if he fails to win the league nor do I think than any sentimental stuff should be a part of decision making in that case, just like in nay other business one.

He doesn't manage City for sentimental reasons but for money so if analysis make it that it's better to bring someone else for money of those that provide it then it's Goodbye Bobby, we can have emotions on family dinners, not in business.

Danielmanc said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
Danielmanc said:

Where were the boo boys after we beat Villa 5-0 ? Regardless of how many the point still stands. Too many are quick to criticise but aren't around to praise where it is due
Oh come on seriously any member of this forum could set out a side from our squad to beat Villa at home.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Oh come on seriously any member of this forum could set out a side from our squad to beat Villa at home.

Don't be silly.

You just illustrate what an impossible job it is for any manager of ours to be seen as doing a good job.

100% criticism for the bad, 0% praise for the good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.