Is Rodri better than Yaya ?

Thats a given but not at the expense of Rodri. An equally brilliant player but twice the man Yaya was.

I find it amazing how fans struggle with this frame of question.

I don't think it was "Who was less of a twat as a person"?!

I can't think of a former team mate that played with Toure that has a bad word to say about him.

So, sticking to [sorry, not great phrased] question is, I think, what matters.

Well, "coping without" is dependent on the members of the team around that missing player to have equal ability to whomever you're matching up.i.e., you would have to have like-for-like comparisons for that measure.

It's a false premise to work out from.
I don't think it is.

We had a team of champions back then and we have a team of champions now. Now though, if Rodri isn't in the starting lineup I think we all fear the worst, and with proven good reason.

I know Yaya had many, many, great games, but I don't remember ever feeling that way if he wasn't playing.

In fact - and I admit this isn't entirely fair on him - I remember in his last season Fern was more or less a one man midfield while Yaya jogged around. That has stuck in my head a little and I think if he'd have left a season sooner I'd maybe view things differently.

For me rodders is our most important player in our system more important than any other player in the last 15 years just my opinion, is he the best most gifted player no thats David silva.
And no he's not better than yaya but more important, work that out if you can.

I don't think it is.

We had a team of champions back then and we have a team of champions now. Now though, if Rodri isn't in the starting lineup I think we all fear the worst, and with proven good reason.

I know Yaya had many, many, great games, but I don't remember ever feeling that way if he wasn't playing.

In fact - and I admit this isn't entirely fair on him - I remember in his last season Fern was more or less a one man midfield while Yaya jogged around. That has stuck in my head a little and I think if he'd have left a season sooner I'd maybe view things differently.
For me if Vinny, Yaya or Sergio wasn't playing it was a big problem, no our only real problem is if Rodri isn't playing, that's how good he is...

I don't think it is.

I dunno about the first part of your answer. I seem to remember players like David Silva dropping in finding a different tempo and passing range to work with and finding way to slide Aguero into goal.

As much as I like Bernardo and Foden, both of them together never made up to the nous David S had, so there's no combination to work Haaland in when Rodrigo's not playing as De Bruyne tends to be occupied.

And yeah, I remember Touré ambling around. But the man charged around a LOT for us. So much so I forgave him him his off days!

Whilst that's true, one might as well ask who's the better player Kompany or Aguero, if it's not based on position?!

It is not quite the same. But yes one might indeed. Free country and what not.

They don't play in similar positions so I don't get why it's even being asked?

I think the real question since the takeover but still unanswerable should be Yaya or De Bruyne.
Then the other question should be more along the lines of Rodri vs Fernandinho.

To both it's completely team dependent could Rodri have done what Fernandinho did for us, I'm not sure because Ferny's mobility was much better. Then could Fernandinho have done what Rodri has done these past couple seasons I'm not sure, they're both different players who are suited to different play styles but both held the glue together for important teams in our history.

Same applies to Yaya and De Bruyne you cannot position either player into being better than the other individually or even for their teammates, both played the same role as chief game winning playmaker without one the chance of success for each team collapses.
Yaya's marauding runs were everything we needed his perfect passing dictating tempo was immense that's without the goals, Kev's pinpoint passing and crossing relentless energy and ability to create the non creatable with assists or even goals, both players are completely different despite doing a similar role both being the midfield match winner.

Personally I believe Yaya Toure had the single greatest season any City player has ever had or indeed any midfielder has ever had in the prem era, whereas De Bruyne has been consistently great throughout the years but both are as equally important to our history without one there isn't the other.
Many would argue David Silva was even more important than the two above there's always an opinion, we could be here all day debating it but it's not that important.

Same applies to Rodri and Fernandinho too there's so many players in the future that people will be asking similar questions about, it'll be Phil Foden in the attacking midfielder role in the next 7 or 8 years people will 100% be asking is Phil Foden our greatest ever midfielder if not player depending what he does.

And when people are asking is Phil our best ever midfielder others will shout Yaya for those 4 or 5 immense seasons, others will look back with purest affection for KDB's intensity and quality over a more prolonged period, others will clamour for Merlin David Silva's magical quality on the ball for a decade to allow not only himself but his teammates to excel... Then they'll be some older guys who are adamant Colin Bell is the greatest that they've ever seen.
I know a rag who says Colin Bell is the best City player they've ever seen, even openly admits Bell was better than any of bacon face's club produced midfielders.

These questions will always crop up they aren't too important for me I have my favourites, also I respect the history too there's been so many changes to my all-time City XI, I'm sure they'll be many in the future too...

Future thread on here:
Is
Ederson our greatest ever keeper? Many will say how can he ever surpass Bert Trautmann's legend, many will say Joe Corrigan is our greatest ever keeper consistency wise.
Some will love Joe Hart's contribution to our post takeover success, while some will admit Tony Coton was better than Hart whilst hating him for joining the rags. If any are interested in football history they might rightly throw Frank Swift's name into the mix, they then might argue that not only is he our greatest ever keeper but footballs best pre-WWII goalkeeper.

Comparing is never ending just enjoy the moment... these comparisons aren't that important they're always gonna have a split in opinions, especially when there has been at least 2 world class legends for the club in most positions.

Different types of players as others have said, so it's bit of comparing apples and oranges.

IMO though Rodri is a better overall player. Yaya had the greater peak (his 2013-2014 season) - but I believe Rodri has been the best midfielder on the planet for 2ish+ years now, and still should have several more seasons in his prime.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.