Is the league cup enough for you?

robbieh said:
BillyShears said:
robbieh said:
Ancelotti a gamble. You do realise that apart from winning our league he has also won the CL twice. It's not just about losing the league, it's also about a man's past which is a good indication of his future. In Pellegrini's case his CV is nowhere near Carlo's.

Pellegrini's got a three year contract and is going nowhere this summer, which is all that matters right now.

I agree that it is unlikely he'll get the sack as that would reflect poorly on the guys who selected him, but contract's count for nothing as Mancini found out a year ago.

I think he won't get the sack because they'll have no cause to. We're a vastly improved club from this time 12 months ago as the league table shows. The title race isn't over, and Pellegrini's already won a trophy. Not even in cloud cuckoo land is it fair to say there's any reason to sack the manager.

If we don't win the League, I will be disappointed as we have the best squad

The top 4 has never been weaker, but the Premiership as a whole has never been stronger.

However, allowance has to be made for managerial change. It took us 2 months to sort out our away form. We dropped a lot of cheap points away from home which have made losses at home to Chelsea and away to Liverpool critical when they shouldn't have been. We have also been very unlucky with injuries at key games eg Champions League last 16, home to Chelsea and today. You need a bit of luck to win the League.

I think Pellegrini will have learned a lot about his players, and English football particularly the demands over a long season which are unique as far as I know

Pam said:
Look, I hate to point out the obvious but if we win our two games in hand, we are only one point off the pace with a further twelve to play for. Premature obituaries are pointless, which is what we found out in 2012, when we were in a much weaker position than now and still managed to pull it off in the end. This is a lost battle, not the whole war.

Spot on.

Marvin said:
If we don't win the League, I will be disappointed as we have the best squad

The top 4 has never been weaker, but the Premiership as a whole has never been stronger.

However, allowance has to be made for managerial change. It took us 2 months to sort out our away form. We dropped a lot of cheap points away from home which have made losses at home to Chelsea and away to Liverpool critical when they shouldn't have been. We have also been very unlucky with injuries at key games eg Champions League last 16, home to Chelsea and today. You need a bit of luck to win the League.

I think Pellegrini will have learned a lot about his players, and English football particularly the demands over a long season which are unique as far as I know

I agree with this as two of last seasons top 4 could be out of it this season which has been unheard of in the Premier League era.

What I do think is the top teams are weaker compared to that of the Arsenal, Chelsea and United teams of 5-10 years ago and that is why for me the Premier League seems stronger as it has become more competative all round.

Our first 6 months looks to have potentially killed our season with Pellegrini getting used to the league and being tactically naive underestimating the likes of Cardiff, Villa and Sunderland, plus the Chelsea away debacle only added extra wood to the fire.

I have loved watching City this season though and we might see a season in which we break Chelsea's goal record and even have a better defensive record than Liverpool yet still lose the league, it has just been that type of season.

My biggest fear is this City side going down as the great underachievers of the Premier League as we have had the best XI and squad in each of the last three seasons yet we could potentially be coming out of these three season with just one league and one League Cup which is simply not good enough.

I don't think we have that mentality and self belief that the likes of Bayern, Barca and Madrid have for example, these are established big names in world football and each player understands what is expected of them when they put the shirt on, for me our players don't seem to quite grasp what is expected of them and as a club I don't think our self belief can match that of those clubs I have mentioned.

If those players that played today had the heart and desire that we show as fans towards City everyday we would have won that game, infact we would have won the league by now.

This mentality is something that is going to take a while to implement around the whole club I reckon.

BillyShears said:
robbieh said:
BillyShears said:
Pellegrini's got a three year contract and is going nowhere this summer, which is all that matters right now.

I agree that it is unlikely he'll get the sack as that would reflect poorly on the guys who selected him, but contract's count for nothing as Mancini found out a year ago.

I think he won't get the sack because they'll have no cause to. We're a vastly improved club from this time 12 months ago as the league table shows. The title race isn't over, and Pellegrini's already won a trophy. Not even in cloud cuckoo land is it fair to say there's any reason to sack the manager.

As you yourself said we vastly underachieved last year. we should have been champions. Throw in 100 million and four very good players and you think this is an improvement.

robbieh said:
As you yourself said we vastly underachieved last year. we should have been champions. Throw in 100 million and four very good players and you think this is an improvement.

Unless you think that Negredo and Jovetic are better players than Balotelli and Tevez then we actually only strengthened two positions, centre midfield and right wing. But we've got a better manager in charge so we've more than made up the points and are in the title race. If you expected the title to be won by now then you were expecting too much. Some of us have been saying for a long long time that this one will go to the wire.

BillyShears said:
robbieh said:

Unless you think that Negredo and Jovetic are better players than Balotelli and Tevez then we actually only strengthened two positions, centre midfield and right wing. But we've got a better manager in charge so we've more than made up the points and are in the title race. If you expected the title to be won by now then you were expecting too much. Some of us have been saying for a long long time that this one will go to the wire.

Although we haven't seen much of Jovetic he does seem very talented. And both he and Negredo put in more of a shift than Balotelli. Negredo has also scored a shed load of goals. So I would say we have a better squad than last year and therefore should be champions which you obviously think we still can be.

Its more than enough for me. For a start off, I didn't spend the money. Secondly I don't buy players or select the team. Thirdly, I am old enough (47) and wise enough to remember a time until very recently, when the thought of a trip to Wembley, let alone a trophy would have found me creaming in my pants. So yes, the League Cup - if that's 'all' we end up with will be good enough.... and the Lord preserve us from the day when it isn't as well!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.