Is the league cup enough for you?

No - but only because I couldn't make Wembley due to health problems.

We have great players (Ya Ya, Sergio, Silva) but that isn't always enough. Need a couple more do or die players like Milner and Fernandinho. I always liked Tevez because he gave 100% every game
Also only had one striker Dzeko for parts of the season as for the last 10 or so games Negredo has been a waste of space for the last quater of the season

Not satisfied of course, but a whole lot has gone wrong this season, starting with an unbelievable crop of injuries. I think we have the most upside next season, providing we get a good holding midfielder, centre back and left back. The rest of the team is very solid.

Cross posting from another thread. Yeah, I think it's good post :D

The fact is that this is one extremely talented and expensive group of players that have definitely underachieved so far, and if title is not won this year that's going to be even more significant.

Club usually needs years to build a team and when it's finally done, then not making goals that are expected is bad thing. If you don't make those goals when generation is on it's prime than you might find yourself years behind while building another one.

Premier League, FA Cup and League cup so far is not good enough. Champions League campaigns were not good enough. That has to change very, very soon or we might come into the cycle of several years of generation replacement and we'll see with Barca in next 2-3 years that's not a great thing. There's no Silvas, Agueros, Yayas everywhere around, jsut as there's no Messis, Xavis and Iniestas. Making the best from such players while you have them is what it is important.

I don't really understand what's wrong with this group of the players. I believe there is no team in the world currently that can play better football then them at times. Those half an hour today at our peak was as good as you'll see in football. But yet, there's "always" one to fuck up some games and make things going a step back. Are they mentally weak, or are they not managed on the highest level, I don't know. But it is frustrating.

I think the hard thing to take is that we have done so well in all competitions and during the talk of the quadruple i would have had us down to win a double but tiredness catches up. I think the premier league should always be priority.

After last season, just the fact that we're still challenging for the league at this stage is enough to keep me happy. Last season was so deflating, because I finished the season thinking that we'd basically handed the title to a poor rags side by not playing to our potential. If Liverpool or Chelsea win it this season, I'll be satisfied that we pushed them all the way and they were simply the better team over 38 games. Whether we win it or not, we've made progress in the league, we've made progress in the Champions League, and we've won a trophy, so I'll be happy with the season. But equally, given the squad we've got and the ages they are, I think it will be a missed opportunity if we don't win the league a couple more times in the next few years.

cityboy5 said:
the talisman said:
Of course it's enough, whatever we win (if anything) is enough.

We're not fucking glory hunters are we? if we were there would be no fans left after what we've been through.
we're a big club now , you're thinking small time we should be aiming high like man utd always did

We were always a big club. I'm just saying we have always been here and always will, whatever we win.

Now we can challenge in every tournament we enter, of course we are aiming high, but no-one is entitled to anything, if we miss out this time we come back stronger.
Small time? we've never been small time, even when we were shit.

On the face of things we probably should have done a bit better,however..... our lack of squad quality and depth,coupled with the amount of games and injury situation,has unfortunately taken its toll on our lads.

We have simply run out of steam,at least another four first team players would have been needed in order for us to have imposed ourselves more,the management are aware of this problem and have tried their best to rectify it throughout this campaign,unfortunately again......despite best efforts,those players could not be recruited.

I think we will be much stronger next season when our deficiencies have been rectified,the spirit and feel good factor around the club is fantastic and i think our players have taken the club into their hearts.

I have enjoyed this season immensely,and,despite what the doom merchants and our detractors say,it isnt over yet...... our club has matured and stabilised and our football has been a joy to watch far more often than not,we are here to stay and we will improve!

Pellegrini will lead us to great success,of that I am certain.

What's not good enough for me, and it's only personal opinion, is the systemic under-achievement over three years.

As we know, we scraped the league in 2012, ended dismally in 2013 and just about made second, and now seem highly unlikely to finish above third. That's backwards to me.

In those three years, there has been one title and a league cup against a side soon to be relegated in the final, together with a rather modest showing in the CL [although I accept that the latter takes time to achieve in, with Chelsea as the benchmark]. Oh, and losing to the mighty Wigan in the FA Cup TWICE!!!

Not good enough.

Yet we have had the best squad and players for those three seasons, have probably scored the most goals and certainly had the most creative midfield [and player in SIlva]. The defence has been our downfall. That and the lack of mental strength.

So, whoever is responsible for all the above, it needs to be sorted this summer or heads will roll, trust me.

If we are not top by Xmas, I do not expect Pellers to be staying around much long after that. One last chance next season or there will be wholesale changes.

Even iff, by some miracle, we win the title now, which I cannot currently see happening, then matters still need addressing. However, I've always thought that Chelsea would win it and see no reason to change my view now. CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.