Is the league cup enough for you?

No it's not good enough but we need to stick together cope with the disappointment and come back stronger. Onwards and upwards.

bluemurray said:
Its more than enough for me. For a start off, I didn't spend the money. Secondly I don't buy players or select the team. Thirdly, I am old enough (47) and wise enough to remember a time until very recently, when the thought of a trip to Wembley, let alone a trophy would have found me creaming in my pants. So yes, the League Cup - if that's 'all' we end up with will be good enough.... and the Lord preserve us from the day when it isn't as well![/quote

That sums it up for me too, and I'm older than you are as well!

We can't complain. A win at Wembley, a trophy in the cabinet, and like you say, heaven help us when it's not enough.

34 years was it?

Something like that.

Some on here expect too much and are just being greedy.

Looks like the league cup will have to do.

If City don't win the league it'll be all their own fault.

The defeats to Cardiff and Villa were just ridiculous.

The defeats at Stamford Bridge and Anfield were against teams we outplayed for large sections of the game and lost by bad mistakes.

Realistically we should have got 8 points from those games, not none, and all the good paly for the rest of the season can't make up that much on other top teams.

Dont think you could say it would of been a succesful season if it is our only trophy,maybe below par or just abt acceptable
Will kinda seem worse if arsenal win the F a cup,dippers the title & chavs pull off an unlikely CL success
I just hope if we dont win it we have run the eventual winners to the last day at least

Anyway still think we have a good chance if we win our last 6 games....

coleridge said:
What's not good enough for me, and it's only personal opinion, is the systemic under-achievement over three years.

As we know, we scraped the league in 2012, ended dismally in 2013 and just about made second, and now seem highly unlikely to finish above third. That's backwards to me.

In those three years, there has been one title and a league cup against a side soon to be relegated in the final, together with a rather modest showing in the CL [although I accept that the latter takes time to achieve in, with Chelsea as the benchmark]. Oh, and losing to the mighty Wigan in the FA Cup TWICE!!!

Not good enough.

Yet we have had the best squad and players for those three seasons, have probably scored the most goals and certainly had the most creative midfield [and player in SIlva]. The defence has been our downfall. That and the lack of mental strength.

So, whoever is responsible for all the above, it needs to be sorted this summer or heads will roll, trust me.

If we are not top by Xmas, I do not expect Pellers to be staying around much long after that. One last chance next season or there will be wholesale changes.

Even iff, by some miracle, we win the title now, which I cannot currently see happening, then matters still need addressing. However, I've always thought that Chelsea would win it and see no reason to change my view now. CTID

You're being a bit harsh.

The premier league title in 2012 was our first in 40+ years and the weight of expectation on the club was evident. In the end, we did it and I, for one, don't care how close it was - in fact, due to it being the rags suffering behind us made it very special.

The following year we should have walked the league - but FFP rules (still unclear at the time) forced us into watching our purse strings and we didn't/couldn't strengthen as we should have done. The De Jong position was where we had big issues that year. The FA Cup final was a debacle from top to bottom - everyone knew Mancini was a dead man walking, and something went on before the game in that dressing room, or on the coach, that hasn't yet been fully disclosed AFAIK.

Before the start of a season, we can only ask of a new manager to challenge in all competitions and we have done, winning one trophy, albeit the least attractive, and proving we aren't far off at CL level. And the title isn't over yet, Liverpool have to win all their games and if they do so will have won 14 games in a row. If they do it, then they deserve to with a run like that. If we win all our games and end on 88pts, that's a good haul for a manager's first season. If it's not enough - so be it.

I doubt many predicted a City walkover this year, and it could have been if we hadn't had such a poor start - this mainly due to new players bedding in. With 3 or 4 good quality signings to come, Pellegrini will have the squad he needs to cover injuries. Plus we can ditch the League Cup for a few seasons and test the kids.

Next year will be the litmus test for MP AND the senior players.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
Well said.

Not only that but they are setting themselves up for a lifetime of disappointment. Winning is so transient. I wanted to wallow in our league win forever but 12 weeks later it started over again and our title was just history. Whoever wins it this year, and I'm far from writing us off, it will be the same.

would be slightly disappointed to not win the league but If the league cup is all we win and we likely finish 2nd by only a point I will take it, it's an improvement on last year with a new manager and new system, I've spent most of my life seeing us be average to bobbins and all I ask is that my team entertain me and play a decent game, This years been some of the best football I have ever seen us play winning any trophy each year will always be a bonus not a necessity to me

Why do people throw in the trial prematurely? Win our games in hand and we are a point off the pace. We're not out of it yet and there's still time for the dippers to bottle it and the Chavs to get distracted. Stop writing us off.

Wreckless Alec said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
Well said.

Not only that but they are setting themselves up for a lifetime of disappointment. Winning is so transient. I wanted to wallow in our league win forever but 12 weeks later it started over again and our title was just history. Whoever wins it this year, and I'm far from writing us off, it will be the same.

True that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.