is there any friendship between city and another club

danburge82 said:
nigel said:
Toro !!!! For the obvious reasons

As stated earlier in this thread the friendship goes back quite a while. When I first went there I was amazes to see

a. A bunch of City fans on the number 4 tram on the way up to the game against Atalanta. They were from Lincolnshire and travelled over every year

b. Toro fans with City hats on

I have a flag with the Toro bull and the City crest on it and it has the logo underneath that says

"Manchester+Torino...Questro sono le NOSTRE Cittia"

This has been displayed on the Curva Maratona , home of Toro's Granata Korps Ultras.Nice guys who wouldnt let me pay for me beer !!

I've posted piccys on here before of this flag

Do we really have a friendship with Torino!? What do they think to the decades of (our extremely sick and stupid fans [although i used to sing the songs when i was younger, but have grown up abit now and after watching the derby last year and realising how bad it was and finding out about Frank Swift(City legend) etc - i dont sing them anymore! and dont use the word!) taunting United about the ****** air disaster!? Because in 1949, after the club winning 4 consequetive league titles, their plane cracshed killing 31 people, inc 18 players!
Do you think we really have a link with them!?

Myself I don't join in singing about the 58 disaster...I don't think the Toro fans (least the ones I have contact with) are avidly aware of the importance a minority of our fans place on the tragedy...As for the friendship/link then all I can speak is what I have seen, discussed and have heard from others....I think it's obvious to anyone who knows about the Citys of Turin and Manchester and the difference (team wise) between "lodgers" and locals will understand that there is some kind of common bond...My flag will be on the Curva Maratona at some stage next season...It was so popular that they wanted to keep it on permanent display...might let 'em keep it next year !!

nigel said:
danburge82 said:
nigel said:

As stated earlier in this thread the friendship goes back quite a while. When I first went there I was amazes to see

a. A bunch of City fans on the number 4 tram on the way up to the game against Atalanta. They were from Lincolnshire and travelled over every year

I have a flag with the Toro bull and the City crest on it and it has the logo underneath that says

This has been displayed on the Curva Maratona , home of Toro's Granata Korps Ultras.Nice guys who wouldnt let me pay for me beer !!

Do we really have a friendship with Torino!? What do they think to the decades of (our extremely sick and stupid fans [although i used to sing the songs when i was younger, but have grown up abit now and after watching the derby last year and realising how bad it was and finding out about Frank Swift(City legend) etc - i dont sing them anymore! and dont use the word!) taunting United about the ****** air disaster!? Because in 1949, after the club winning 4 consequetive league titles, their plane cracshed killing 31 people, inc 18 players!

Myself I don't join in singing about the 58 disaster...I don't think the Toro fans (least the ones I have contact with) are avidly aware of the importance a minority of our fans place on the tragedy...As for the friendship/link then all I can speak is what I have seen, discussed and have heard from others....I think it's obvious to anyone who knows about the Citys of Turin and Manchester and the difference (team wise) between "lodgers" and locals will understand that there is some kind of common bond...My flag will be on the Curva Maratona at some stage next season...It was so popular that they wanted to keep it on permanent display...might let 'em keep it next year !!

Nigel did you attend the pre-season tour of Italy in 1992 when we played Torino?

Eddie said:
That Celtic and Rangers thing really annoys me.

A very long time ago on the Kippax half of us would chant Celtic and the other half would chant back Rangers. It was purely out of boredom nothing to do with any link ups or friendships.

I have no idea where all these supporters of other teams get the notion that City have a reciprocal appreciation of their team. Individual City fans may look out for other teams scores (I know I do) but there is no wider City affiliation to anyone other than City.

As I said earlier, we have no link ups with any other club, just small groups of fans travelling through the footballing world spreading the gospel according to St Joseph of Mercer and making friends along the way.

It was, is and always will be City and City only.

Otherwise we would be best mates with every club that has ever played and beaten United no doubt.

Why should it annoy you, plenty of jocks moved down to Manchester over the years, my Dad (god bless) was one of them, he was a Celtic fan but when i came a long he took me to City, and another City fan was born. How many of us must have shared a similar experience..

blue jim said:
bluechris106 said:
I am sure we are liked with Glasgow Rangers and United are with Celtic!! There used to be scarves with both clubs on!
I have a City Celtic scarf ;) theres as many City fans with Celtic as their second team (me) as there are with Rangers tbh.

Celtic use to have some sort of link with United, maybe back in the 80s, most of them support Liverpool though I'd say. Most Celtic fans I know support Liverpool anyway.

I have both a City/Rangers one & a City /Celtic one. Only wear one of them though ;-)

Danamy said:
nigel said:
danburge82 said:
nigel said:

Nigel did you attend the pre-season tour of Italy in 1992 when we played Torino?

Sorry to say that I couldn't make the gig...

Will post a piccy on this thread when my proper networks running at home...currently operating from an office with free wi-fi...this being MacDonalds Walkden....home and gathering place of the "Welfare Mothers"

bugsyblue said:
nigel said:

Sorry mate realise you've posted the pic before but I'd love to see it if you could post it again?

Tried to post it on here but srtuggling at the mo...Billl Gates I ain't !!

PM me anyone with your e mail address and I'll send you the full set from my last visit..failing that the flag will be hung up outside Shambles next Sunday before the Bolton game

dont know if it has been mentioned but Cherry Orchard are linked with us. They are a team near Dublin of mostly young players and they wear a City crest on their shirts along with Cherry Orchard. A friend of mine plays for them and got trials with City! he had to mark Andy Cole's son, he also got me Thaksins autograph!=D

pedigreeblue said:
Eddie said:
That Celtic and Rangers thing really annoys me.

A very long time ago on the Kippax half of us would chant Celtic and the other half would chant back Rangers. It was purely out of boredom nothing to do with any link ups or friendships.

I have no idea where all these supporters of other teams get the notion that City have a reciprocal appreciation of their team. Individual City fans may look out for other teams scores (I know I do) but there is no wider City affiliation to anyone other than City.

As I said earlier, we have no link ups with any other club, just small groups of fans travelling through the footballing world spreading the gospel according to St Joseph of Mercer and making friends along the way.

It was, is and always will be City and City only.

Otherwise we would be best mates with every club that has ever played and beaten United no doubt.

Why should it annoy you, plenty of jocks moved down to Manchester over the years, my Dad (god bless) was one of them, he was a Celtic fan but when i came a long he took me to City, and another City fan was born. How many of us must have shared a similar experience..

Sorry, my bad and a somewhat hamfisted post!

The element that annoys me about Celtic/Rangers and the so called City/United connection is the inferrence the lines of demarkation between City and United are based on sectarian grounds when clearly, irrespective of what some bigotted elements will have us believe, it is not the case at all.

City have never been about anything other than football, afterall, we signed Bert Trautman at a time when Germany were still seen as untrustworthy and pretty much still the 'big' enemy.

As for anyone who is a City fan, they are absolutely fine by me! It is great we are the Manchester club, but I do not hold that you have to be from Manchester to be a Blue.

I suppose the thing I really fail to grasp is loving two mistresses. City and City only for me. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of results I look for after City's but I could never say "I support City and ........" because I don't.

Then again, I accept I may well be in a minority.

Eddie said:
Monkey Boy Blue said:
Is there not some historical link between City and Rangers?
None whatsoever.

This all stemmed from the fact Celtic seemed to get on with United. That in itself may have stemmed from the fact that Busby claimed some years back United were a Catholic club - despite George Best being a Northern Irish Protestant!

Bottom line is, as per earlier post, any tie ups are purely at the behest of small groups of fans and not necessarily representative of the majority.

From my own viewpoint, I loathe Celtic and Rangers in equal measure.

I also have diffiuclty, with my limited intellect, understanding how you can support more than one team - particularly if City are one of them given the stress and aggrevation they put us through!
i live and was born in the same town as matt busby our sports centre is named after him and there is a memorial thing 2 mins from my house

blue jim said:
I heard the link with Torino was that a couple of City fans went to a Torino match when in Italy and brought their City flag with them and had a laugh with the locals, who hadnt a clue what was going on.
I take my City flag to Eastlands, and most times I havn,t a clue whats going on either,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.