Is This the end for De Jong?

Marvin said:
Soulboy said:
If I had to put my head on the block I'd go with de Jong being in his last season for us... unfortunately.

I think Mancini sees midfield differently now, and while Nige was top notch for us, my opinion is that he's now looking for a more progressive player and style ala Spurs on Sunday.

De Rossi next season? Or Iniesta... ;-))
I agree with this. If we can go to Spurs and win 5-1, why go back to playing with a defensive sitting midfielder? It's not the best use of attacking talents like Silva, Aguero and Nasri. We can monopolise games by keeping the ball, we don't have to play without it
Spot on.

Football is played in the future, not in the past.

It matters not a jot what a player offered in the past, only what he can offer in the future.

And in spite of me being a huge de Jong fan I suspect that Mancini is looking for a different style than last season's.

D.Villa said:
nige was underrated by opposition fans and the media and he was publicly slaughtered after breaking ben arfa's leg, as a result we all got behind nige to give him confidence. he developed a devoted following who vastly overrated and continue to overrate him and his contribution on the pitch as an antidote to the public negativity towards him.

he was underrated by everyone besides us and we overrated him, his stock has risen since then and he has gained the recognition he deserves. but he remains overrated by us.

we play much more coherent and fluid football without nige in the side. not only does he stifle the opposition's game, he stifles ours too. he upsets the balance in the side. i think our last two games have demonstrated that it isn't a necessity to have one outright one dimensional 'destroyer' in the side, we have a balance now, we attack and defend as a collective and the defensive responsibility is shared.

tbh i also think nige has shown himself unworthy of all the adoration, particularly in light of his contract dispute.

you don't unnecessarily tinker with a winning side, especially one playing as well as we are. as it stands he'll remain on the bench once he's fit, and he'll likely be staying there until we have an injury to barry or yaya.
And we have leaked goals in the two games he hasn't played. We do need a midfielder like him.

Breadsnapper said:
And we have leaked goals in the two games he hasn't played. We do need a midfielder like him.

8 for, 3 against. Not really a problem.

And if you look at the goals - one was from a cross for which Richards should have got closer, one from a free kick where Lescott was (possibly) at fault and one was from a corner (possibly Yaya's fault) so you might say he wouldnt have prevented any of them

citysince88 said:
I think if Nigel won't end his links with that prick Kia, then the club would consider selling him and although he's a top player who we all adore, I'd side with the club 100% no question.

The dirty dealing dick of a puppet master needs to be kept as far away from our club as is possible.
Looks like David Silva and Joe Hart are out next going off your logic!

-- Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 am --

Soulboy said:
Marvin said:
Soulboy said:
If I had to put my head on the block I'd go with de Jong being in his last season for us... unfortunately.

I think Mancini sees midfield differently now, and while Nige was top notch for us, my opinion is that he's now looking for a more progressive player and style ala Spurs on Sunday.

De Rossi next season? Or Iniesta... ;-))
I agree with this. If we can go to Spurs and win 5-1, why go back to playing with a defensive sitting midfielder? It's not the best use of attacking talents like Silva, Aguero and Nasri. We can monopolise games by keeping the ball, we don't have to play without it
Spot on.

Football is played in the future, not in the past.

It matters not a jot what a player offered in the past, only what he can offer in the future.

And in spite of me being a huge de Jong fan I suspect that Mancini is looking for a different style than last season's.
I certainly don't! Nigel de Jong would have started all three games had he not had an injured toe. In every game against the top sides he's City's beat player bar none! He's the bet passer of the ball in our team, and that includes Silva. I don't know what some people have in their heads, I think some people watch too many soaps!<br /><br />-- Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:46 am --<br /><br />
johnmc said:
Breadsnapper said:

And if you look at the goals - one was from a cross for which Richards should have got closer, one from a free kick where Lescott was (possibly) at fault and one was from a corner (possibly Yaya's fault) so you might say he wouldnt have prevented any of them
Not a problem for who? You? Go and ask Joe Hart and Mancini himself if it's a problem and they'd 100% say "yes, it's unacceptable!"

johnmc said:
I know people are entitled to overrate certain players, but saying De Jong is the best passer of the ball in our team is just taking it too far in my opinion.
Even though he has the best passing stat's in the team and doesn't give balls away in dangerous areas like Barry does nor does he give free kicks away in dangerous areas like Kompany Barry Lescott Richards Zabaleta...

johnmc said:
Breadsnapper said:

But we won't necessarily get 5 goals against United and Chelsea. He might have prevented them from getting the free kick or the corner in the first place.

kennycar said:
johnmc said:
Breadsnapper said:

But we won't necessarily get 5 goals against United and Chelsea. He might have prevented them from getting the free kick or the corner in the first place.
Exactly. And at 0-0 against Swansea when Seansea were ontop de Jong was the best player on the pitch. He was the one stopping their attacks, intercepting passes and even winning headers (he's got a great leap) and using a simple pass to Yaya or Silva to start attacks going.

kennycar said:

He is more likely to give away the free kick. You cant expect Spurs not to get corners at home whether he is playing or not.

We might not get 5 goals against United - who says we need to score 5 to win?

When De Jong is on the pitch we look less likely to concede, when he isnt on the pitch we look more likely to score. Good for last year, not needed this year, we have the players to make a out and out defensive midfielder unnecessary.

Cant think of any sucessful team with such a one dimensional player. Great job he has done but we have moved on.

We performed well against Swansea and a midfield consisting of Modric and Kranjcar and you lot want to drop De Jong? FUCKING LAUGHABLE!!!!!

johnmc said:
Great job he has done but we have moved on.
Maybe YOU'RE the one that's moved on, because Mancini clearly hasn't. All the quotes and videos of him say he really hopes he's back after international break.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.