Is Zabaleta the weak link?

FFS...

When we're playing 4-2-3-1 the full backs push up alternately. We have one DM (Yaya) who brings the ball out and distributes play and another screening the defence and helping them out with counter attacks when one of the full backs pushes up. That player is Barry, who has been out injured so far this season.

The opposition are taking advantage of breakdowns in forward play on our right (their left) where they are immediately past Zabba and playing cross field balls, sometimes via a deep lying striker over to someone in the old inside right position, who is then making mincemeat out of Kolarov, who is the weak link. When Barry is there, particularly with him being left footed, that side is protected more. On the right side Kompany usually reads the game well and this buys him time until Yaya ambles back to pick the ball up.

Rodwell still has to learn this role, he did okay against Southampton and better against QPR. De Jong was always better in a midfield battle than dealing with counter attacks, as our style evolved he lost out to the Barry/ Yaya partnership

You can't expect the full backs to retain the ball going forward in the same way that you'd expect Silva or Nasri to do so. We will look vulnerable at the moment because Barry is not there to mop up when the opposition are on the counter attack.

So, I'm not blaming anyone, it's something that other teams have picked up on and is working for them as we're missing Barry to shutter the defence up.

Liverpool was a different matter. We will only learn to play an attacking 3-4-1-2 game by playing it, but Bobby chose to try this approach against a team that we have always struggled against away from home when we weren't ready against a side as competitive as Liverpool were.

The thread should NOT be deleted. Whatever you think of the OP, he has expressed his opinion and we are debating it - exactly what a forum should be n'est pas?

Looking forward to Monday when DD comes back on (as he claims!) as I'm interested to hear his rebuttals of the various points subsequently raised.

This has to be the most ridiulous topic post ever. Zab is a brilliant right back and would start for any other premiership team. I don't know how some people think Micah is better. Micah's entire game relies on pace and strength which is good now but he will stuggle towards the latter stages of his career when his pace declines. Zab is good at all aspects of the game, not spectacular but good. His positional play especially and IMO he has a lot better ball control than Micah. I feel sorry for Zab as IMO he has been excellent at right back and looks like he won't play there with a fit Micah and Maicon. I just hope this does not affect his status in the Argentina squad.

And the point on blaming Zab for most of the goals this season is ridiculous. I think Kompany hasn't looked convincing yet nor Silva (untill y'day) however it was a mistake from Silva (which i thought was a foul) that led to the goal not Zab

samharris said:
kippaxchris said:
Citizenhill said:
I think its a bit much to pick on Zaba here, the whole defensive set up of the team of late has been rusty and I think game practice will help us get back into the swing of things. All of Zab, Kompany, Lescott and Kolarov at times looked off today, a lot of attacks came down the right too, towards Kolarov so no need to pick up only on Zabaleta.

Kolarov dealt with them tho!

Kolarov ball watching allowed Zamora to nip in and get the rebound header..

No! Silva losing possession and Zabaleta being too far forward allowed the attack and the cross to come into the box!

city91 said:
This has to be the most ridiulous topic post ever. Zab is a brilliant right back and would start for any other premiership team. I don't know how some people think Micah is better. Micah's entire game relies on pace and strength which is good now but he will stuggle towards the latter stages of his career when his pace declines. Zab is good at all aspects of the game, not spectacular but good. His positional play especially and IMO he has a lot better ball control than Micah. I feel sorry for Zab as IMO he has been excellent at right back and looks like he won't play there with a fit Micah and Maicon. I just hope this does not affect his status in the Argentina squad.

And the point on blaming Zab for most of the goals this season is ridiculous. I think Kompany hasn't looked convincing yet nor Silva (untill y'day) however it was a mistake from Silva (which i thought was a foul) that led to the goal not Zab

Yes it was Silva who lost posession but Zabaleta was already too far forward when that happened when really he should have sat back till the attack unfolded! As for blaming Zab for goals this season just watch the highlights of the goals i mentioned on the first post! Th 2nd in the CS the 2 at Southampton (2nd given away by Rodwell at first tbf) and the one yesterday where he was higher up the pitch than Silva!<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 pm --<br /><br />
Bluemoonbaldboy said:
I must have been watching a different game i had Zab down as a man of the match contender

This thread isn't just about yesterdays match! I was at the game and yes he was brilliant but he was too far forward when Silva got caught in possession.

kippaxchris said:
city91 said:

Yes it was Silva who lost posession but Zabaleta was already too far forward when that happened when really he should have sat back till the attack unfolded! As for blaming Zab for goals this season just watch the highlights of the goals i mentioned on the first post! Th 2nd in the CS the 2 at Southampton (2nd given away by Rodwell at first tbf) and the one yesterday where he was higher up the pitch than Silva!
Zabs being that far forward maybe shows the level of trust he has in Silva's ability to get the ball out to him to mount the attack? I understand what you are saying, but a little harsh to blame Zabs for that.

Zaba is suppose to be playing as a wing back ,,hence caught up field ..now to blame him for the goal is just straw
Zaba is the man

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.