Italy v England | Euro 2020 Final

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gutted we didn't win last night but nowhere near the pain and disappointment of our champions league final no show.
Happy for Bobby Manc who shown the waistcoat the art of good management.
That England performance mirrored the manager, dull and insipid, too scared to lose.
We didn't need 5 at the back with 2 defensive midfielders, we had zero threat going forward, Mount was shocking, Raz marked out if the game and Kane coming too deep to collect the ball leaving nobody up top. He hung Saka out to dry, he was having a shocker when brought on but to give him that penalty was wrong on every level.
The same manager who played a generational talent out of position in the first two games, then hid behind the fear of another booking to leave him out, but then in the quarter final played 5 players who were on bookings, the fucking hypocrisy.
We have some fantastic young forward players, but we won't achieve any success if we fail to utilise them, I don't know who is available to take the team to the next level, but it most certainly isn't the waistcoat, doesn't act quickly enough and is too entranched in his defensive ways, a manager who has mastered the art of subbing the sub.

England's problem is the lack of a Jorginho/Rodri/Busquets/Ruben Neves type of player. Without that, the system just doesn't work. Rice's inability to pass was completely exposed by Italy yesterday, they just backed off him and let him run, knowing he couldn't do anything but give it away.

They need someone in midfield who can defend but also keep the ball. Maybe Bellingham after another season, maybe Ward-Prowse will get a chance.

The other thing is Pickford absolutely killed England yesterday by kicking it back to the Italians after every attack. For all his penalty heroics, he probably wouldn't have had to save a single penalty if he'd done anything except punt it long to Donnarumma every time England got the ball.

Nonsense, he took off Rice because he was gassed. Rice was brilliant all tournament but he was running on empty with 20 minutes left.

rubbish. He was trying to do things . Like Foden was so they get hauled off. Southgate doesn’t like creativity. Don’t do anything to affect the back 7 set up.

if rice was gassed with 20 minutes to go. Mount and Kane must have been asleep from kick off .

Do you still think Southgate has us playing ‘the city way’?

I told you 4 weeks ago if he comes up against Mancini he’d have him on toast…

Give it up. Southgate isn’t good enough.
I sorry don't remember that, it obviously stuck with you.

But yes Southgate is good enough. You've just seen him achieve what no other England manager has. That Clearly says good enough.

What you're saying is you don't like him. For whatever hate filled illogical reason you guys have.

Jeez his success has caused you pain.

The biggest problem I have with Southgate and I'm sure many posters would agree on here is that he's far too cautious and defensive.

Now if we had limited attacking options that would be understandable but we have an abundance of attacking options criminally under used. Now don't forget he's seen these players develop though the England ranks during his time with England So it's not like he doesn't know how they play so just let they loose and play attacking football.

For me it's either he wants to play defensive football or he doesn't have trust in those attacking footballers and that begs the question why pick them in the first place?

Congratulations to the England team for making a final and giving us some great hope for an international cup. Southgate deserves praise for this, no matter your opinion on his football style, tactical decisions or run to the final. It seems very hard for some to recognise we made a final.

But alas, after reflection, i think Gareth Southgate is too limited for the squad, as opposed to the squad being too limited to play another way. The latter had crossed my mind, clearly the gaping hole of talent in central midfield was a concern to Southgate, which he overfilled somewhat. With the clear lack of a class holding player he decided to go for two to do the job, leaving him shy of numbers up top. I sympathise with predicament and respect the decision he made but i thought after Germany, Phillips should have been given the task alone after impressing throughout. I was consistently bemused by the selection of Rice game after game, only for him to play well in the final and get cruelly hooked for a formulaic switch for Henderson (further exposing Southgate's poor sub record).

Southgate only played one way which was conservatively and conceding few, hoping to nick one or two in ten minute spells. The team was conceding possession and authority for long spells in every single game, which had started to look intentional, which was weird. Last night's policy of waiting to sub after the conclusion of Italy's spell of dominance was mystifying in my opinion, the writing was on the wall in 6 foot letters from 45min to the goal on 67 min and i really think a sub had to be made on the hour, Mount being the obvious candidate for a ball retaining midfielder who could also bring more out of Sterling. Instead he waited..... and waited.... and then conceded, wisely changing the formation which was correct as England then got straight back into the game after 75 and throughout ET. This correct tactical change must not paper over the fact the 22 mins to the goal were an extremely slow car crash.

anyway, the pens were what they were. Perhaps those players were consistently best at pens, i dunno, it's really hard to know. Rashford's goes in and suddenly the confidence is lifting and who knows..... well done Italy, deserved. Southgate should move on.

Last edited:
Twice it was set up perfectly for us.

The World Cup: We come up against two good teams, first being Colombia and that went to pens. Then of course we know what happened against Croatia.

Euros: played the whole tournament apart from one match at home. Again we was on the more favourable side of the draw.

What is our identity under this man. Do you think a prime Spain, Germany, Brazil and all the other nations that produced great talent would bench the best players and play so negative?

Oh and you are the one being all Spursy, happy with failure.
Soz man but "Southgate has had luck for 4 years" just sounds ridiculous.

See the bloke who does the player ratings for sky sports app is at it again, either my old eyes have totally gone or he just watches a completely different game to me, think someone on here said he was a gooner??, unbelievable Jeff

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.