Italy v England | Euro 2020 Final

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have just seen the footgage of the fighting in the concourse at Wembley, Italians being dragged around and kicked in the head.

Not sure whether it was before during or after the game, or whether the Italians were doing the same elsewhere, but this, along with the racism, means I'm washing my hands of the national team and national football.

Good luck to them as players and as a team, they've done well to get to a final but no way I want to be a part of that fan base. Whether it's alcohol, nationalism or more, I don't care. City and just city for me.

If you even have half a brain cell you’d want Southgate gone. This and the World Cup it’s probably harder not to get to these stages considering our opposition. Very common theme with the waste of space, England play average teams and do ok. England play a half decent team and fold like a pack of cards, World Cup it happened and now. You have Kane, Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Saka all at your disposal and continuously play ultra defensive football. You then get lauded for being hard to score against. Strange.
He fell into the job, not through any kind of experience is success in the past. There’s a good team spirit built but clearly that only gets you so far. He’s stupidly loyal to out of form players and he has zero in game management. Fuck off big nose

I’m not a fan but he did change the formation when Italy were all over us so that’s not exactly true.

Listening to the radio this morning, the narrative they're pushing is that its all Sterling's fault

Not that clueless clown Southgate, or the two rags who missed their pens... its Sterling's fault for not taking one

That didn't take long

If the FA designed a bot to manage the national football squad it would be Southgate.

I feel bad for the players and Southgate is obviously a nice guy but if you think he's going to change the way he plays for the world cup then you are blind.

Just glad it's all over and we can return to city and watch some actual decent football...

What a ridiculous and clearly uneducated thing to say. Full of arrogance too.
Southgate hasn’t just done what no other manager has on the pitch, he’s also changed the entire international team set up. No more cliques. Tireless hard work to ensure when they group up, it’s no longer a place where certain players take rank on the club scene. He’s created a club culture and it is obviously coming together.
It's just a pity that the club culture he's created most resembles spurs

As a Scot, I can reflect on last night without the gut wrenching reaction to a loss in a final.
Italy played the better football, they had the more technical players and were able to react to the early setback to go on and dominate possession. Mancini has done an excellent job on them.

England defended really well but the team is still unbalanced between defence and offence and it was notable that none of the front three had stand out games (albeit I thought Kane was pretty effective in the first half). England have the players to play in the way we have become accustomed watching City. Southgate just prefers a more cautious approach that makes this England team very difficult to beat. Its more in the style of Chelsea but Rice/Phillips are not Kante/Georginio. I have doubts you will ever win a competition playing this style, there will always be another team dominating the football better.

What I will say is Southgate (and the players) has done a fantastic job at making the England set up far 'nicer', more inclusive and a better example that kids (and the rest of the country) can look up to and be proud of. This golden generation of English talent is relatively new and has potential rather than being the finished article. It may well be in the next two years, he uses it better to develop the kind of football that will win the major tournaments. I think you need a goalkeeper that is better at distribution than Pickford and a little calmer under pressure. Rice looks good at his best but for me is still inconsistent. He carries the ball really well but would like to see improved distribution. A front five from Foden, Mount (not at their best this competition but more to do with the system rather than any failings on them individually), Kane, Stirling, Grealish is pretty mouthwatering with plenty talent in reserve.

England will be one of the favourites for the next world cup whatever happens. You have a national team to be proud of that is only going to get better and in Southgate have a coach that the players obviously trust and like. I just hope that he uses the run up to the wc develop a more balanced style that plays to the talent pool you have.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.