It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Fernandinho was brilliant. I remember in 2018/19 against the dippers at home, he was 50/50 to play and I went from panicking to being confident as soon as I saw him in the line up. He was fantastic.

Now, though, we have Rodri who is top 3 in the world in his position IMO and only going to get better. We’re not going to sign somebody who is on par with prime Fernandinho because it’s 1. not really fair for them to play back up and 2. they won’t be happy playing back up anyway.
Yeah that season he was absolutely immense, the one player on the team sheet that I'd need to see for every crucial game to settle me down. I know keep telling myself that, just 50 mil seems quite excessive for that up role, which in part is because he's English, Bissouma would have been my preference or of a similar mould and younger maybe from a league abroad. I'm still getting over us signing Grealish for 100m. Maybe our worst piece of business under Pep IMO. We'll give Phillips time though peps a genius at making players better

All fair points, but the Fernandinho of last season was far from a peak Fernandinho. His legs had gone and in some games he was a bit of a liability sadly. Kalvin Phillips will replace last seasons playing version of Fernandinho no problem and will give us much needed legs and energy in midfield. He is a very viable option to rotate with Rodri and play alongside him too and that's what we need. I douvt ehs the type of player that would rock the boat either if he didnt play every gane. I also think Phillips has got improvement in him too and we'll see that over the next few years should he sign.

What we can't replace with Fernandinho is his leadership skills. That aura around the dressing room will be missed and its where other players will need to step up just like when Kompany left the void in the dressing room.
Yeah completely just gotta remember the Fernandinho were replacing is the player of last season which is a 37 y/o for a player in his prime

I think I'd be happier with Rice for say 80m than Phillips for 50m. Pity that the price tags are as they are.

I think I'd be happier with Rice for say 80m than Phillips for 50m. Pity that the price tags are as they are.

i imagine the price of £50m for Phillips will be the final price including bonus/success related add ons? I`m sure if the club are paying the add ons then we will have been successful and no one will care about the fee. Rice would be a minimum of £120m plus add ons imo and no one is paying that for him.

something doesn't fill me with too much confidence on the Phillips signing, I guess its because he seems to be replacing the outgoing Fernandinho which is pretty obvious he's nowhere near the standard of him in his prime. I know we have Rodri who's the direct replacement but I dont think Phillips is even anywhere near that standard. I hope im wrong on this and he elevates his game 10 fold otherwise he's just gonna be a squad player on the fringes. I trust the clubs signings as we've been an absolute beast in the transfer market over the last 7 years but doesn't feel right Fernandinho leaving and Phillips coming in. Fernandinho will go down for me as the greatest ever box to box/defensive midfielder to ever play the game?
Much as I love Fern the best DM ever is another thing.

Matthaus
Rijkarrd
Vierra
Davids
Souness
Dunga

Just 6 that spring to mind.

In modern times I would love Kimmich at City who was ironically a lower league player spotted by Pep And imho better than Fern.

If you were Rice, would you join City to battle Rodri for minutes?

We are looking for an experienced, good enough DM (to cover Rodri) who is accepting bench time but is happy to be part of a title winning team (for a change).

Taking workload from Rodri means playing the bottom PL half at the Etihad, domestic cups and more should Rodri be unavailable.

We don't get such a player for 20m. Leeds know Phillips is nearly a perfect fit. And I think we have the budget.

It’s the biggest fallacy on here that he was as poor as claimed tbh. Phenomenal man marker. Unfortunately he looked poor when teams got behind him and clichy. Nowhere near as poor as some think.

Yeah definitely not someone to defend against a false 9, but relished battling forwards with a physical presence.

It’s the biggest fallacy on here that he was as poor as claimed tbh. Phenomenal man marker. Unfortunately he looked poor when teams got behind him and clichy. Nowhere near as poor as some think.
I try to stay out of any Mangala debate as I have quite extreme opinions about him suffice to say at his worst I couldn't even see a footballer there. There were quite a few on here who said he would go on to be a success elsewhere..he didn‘t. Brilliant at own goals and giving penalties away though. So I respectfully disagree!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.