It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I just cannot see Gvardiol, Pau nor Kounde being ok with a 4th choice spot before a World Cup. This oozes a classic City “sell and get a player next summer” - which would be a massive mistake.

Or someone from left field will be linked soon. Losing Ake is kinda hurting.
If we sign Cucurella then we can get by with 3 main cbs & 3 main fbs until after the world cup & assess our options in the January window.
If its basically on fitness & reliability the wouldnt it be better to replace Stones & Ake with someone who is much more reliable.
Its pointless having a ferrari if its constantly in the garage.

I’m not sure where you’re getting this ‘very clear’ position from. I’ve seen nothing credible to suggest that’s the approach we’re taking.

Ake didn’t get the minutes because he’s Ake - he simply wasn’t as good as the other three when they were available.

We sign a different player - it’s a different situation.

This is an opportunity to strengthen our position at the back, which I’m sure is how City will be viewing it - not to simply recreate the status quo.

I would hope players of the quality and mentality of Kounde and Gvardiol would see this as an incredible opportunity and back themselves to start - not come in accepting being 4th choice.
Spot on.

I'm sick of seeing posts saying he or he won't want to be 4th choice.

Damn, so we are losing 3 players by the looks of it, our bench could do with a boost only having these senior players left Ortega, Stones, Zinc, Phillips, Greelish, Gundogan, Alvarez. we need another CB with Stone & Laportes injury record and another winger to replace raz

First 11 is looking good though
Ederson

Walker - Dias - Laporte - Cancelo

De Bruyne - Rodrigo - Bernardo

Mahrez - Haaland - Foden

I really don't think that we paid £100m for Pep to use Grealish as a 'second string' player. I would think (barring injury etc) Pep will use him more often in the PL next session than Bernardo.

I also think that Alvarez is likely play a greater part than Mahrez in the PL.

An interesting season ahead for sure!

I’m not sure where you’re getting this ‘very clear’ position from. I’ve seen nothing credible to suggest that’s the approach we’re taking.

Ake didn’t get the minutes because he’s Ake - he simply wasn’t as good as the other three when they were available.

We sign a different player - it’s a different situation.

This is an opportunity to strengthen our position at the back, which I’m sure is how City will be viewing it - not to simply recreate the status quo.

I would hope players of the quality and mentality of Kounde and Gvardiol would see this as an incredible opportunity and back themselves to start - not come in accepting being 4th choice.
Players still have that difficulty of trying to adjust and with the World Cup being in the middle of the season and with the players ahead of them in our team they would probably not take the risk of uprooting this time around. There is a great chance all our 3 CBs will stay injury free and the new signing would only get the Cup games.

Last edited:
Spot on.

I'm sick of seeing posts saying he or he won't want to be 4th choice.
The players aren't willing to take that risk in World Cup year. That is the reason Ake is looking to leave. Chelsea don't have many CBs for this season he will get games

Any other centre back in Akes position in this squad would be first choice with Dias right now.

Ake has injury issues,but so does Laporte and Stones. To take that partner spot next to Dias all you have to do is stay fit. If Ake could stay fit he would've dislodged Laporte and Stones.

If we go into the season with 3 centre backs you'll see a similar situation to when the dippers beat us to the title. You can't rely on Stones and Laporte to be able to stay fit for an entire season.

Any other centre back in Akes position in this squad would be first choice with Dias right now.

Ake has injury issues,but so does Laporte and Stones. To take that partner spot next to Dias all you have to do is stay fit. If Ake could stay fit he would've dislodged Laporte and Stones.

If we go into the season with 3 centre backs you'll see a similar situation to when the dippers beat us to the title. You can't rely on Stones and Laporte to be able to stay fit for an entire season.
If that was the case Ake would be staying and then there wouldn't be the need to bring in a top class CB. If we did bring one in and then this discussion will come full circle when either Stones, Laporte or Dias (or new signing) would be looking to leave

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.