It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

SUMMARY: For any visitors who look in on this thread and want a quick update but no more…

1 Out

Zinchenko to Arsenal

2 In

Cucurella to CITY
Full Back to CITY

Quite a 24 hours for the forum. One of our ITK’s going full on Neymar sending the board into meltdown for a while. No other reports yet though but one to keep an eye on.

Ake is now staying after Chelsea did not come up with the asking price meaning we aren’t now signing a centre back.

Fairly even split as to if City will start the season with 3 full backs or 4 but most reports suggest Cucurella is a Mendy replacement and Zinchenko will also be replaced if he leaves. No new Cucurella news today.

I’ll post one of these most evenings around this time on this thread

You are welcome.
Legend. I had to start back about forty pages today before I saw this

So young? He is 20. Not 17, not 18, 20.

That is the age for significant minutes in a side, even a top one, for someone that is meant to be a huge talent. Sane at that age already had a big move and was playing relatively regularly, as was Sterling, and Walcott and other similar players. He's hardly the kid he is made out to be. Talented, sure. Ready to have a meaningful role with us, I really struggle to see it.

So? He turned 20 in May. He was a teenager, scoring and assisting on his debuts etc. He played 11 times last season by January, and then sadly got injured for ages. He clearly would have reached about 20 appearances last season without that. An undeniable trajectory. He was 19 years old throughout the season trying to break into one of the best teams this league has ever seen, in a position we're stacked in, and Pep was clearly prepared to use him a fair bit. It was understandable that Pep didnt use him at the end as it was too late to ease him back in... but its as clear as day that Pep rates him. He's had more football than the likes of Delap, McAtee and Lavia combined.

As for Sane and Sterling. Well, its a lot easier to break into Schalke's side or that old Liverpool side then itll ever be for Palmer to get into City's side. He'd have got into those sides too IMO. Lol at Walcott. Irrelevant.

But we have had youth players who had performed at that level before who we all thought were the next big thing.

1. Angelino
2. Rony Lopes
3. Denis Suarez
4. Kelechi Iheanacho
5. Jason Denayer
etc.

All these guys have gone on to have good careers at varying levels who tore it up in our youth teams but weren't necessarily good enough to jump to the first team and nail down a spot. I feel Cole may be in that category (albeit better than those mentioned), a guy who is a good player but not necessarily a great one.

The setup and standards that City have now in the first team, and even in the academy sides, is way above the levels it was back then for any of those players. The coaching is miles better, the football they play much more intelligent. Palmer has done miles better things at youth level than all of them, other than perhaps Iheanacho, who looked just too good. Iheanacho the best one who coincidentally basically made it as a good first team squad member at City. Probably a bit mis-managed too actually at City and Leicester. Either way, Palmer clearly rated by Pep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.