It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

The setup and standards that City have now in the first team, and even in the academy sides, is way above the levels it was back then for any of those players. The coaching is miles better, the football they play much more intelligent. Palmer has done miles better things at youth level than all of them, other than perhaps Iheanacho, who looked just too good. Iheanacho the best one who coincidentally basically made it as a good first team squad member at City. Probably a bit mis-managed too actually at City and Leicester. Either way, Palmer clearly rated by Pep.
I suspect a lot of people are going to be surprised by how much game time Palmer gets next season

I've been banging this drum for months. Not because of any inside info, but because if I look around the PL as a person who fits the exact mold of what a City player looks like then it's Saka. It just seems to fit perfectly.
Technically shit but can run fast?

The setup and standards that City have now in the first team, and even in the academy sides, is way above the levels it was back then for any of those players. The coaching is miles better, the football they play much more intelligent. Palmer has done miles better things at youth level than all of them, other than perhaps Iheanacho, who looked just too good. Iheanacho the best one who coincidentally basically made it as a good first team squad member at City. Probably a bit mis-managed too actually at City and Leicester. Either way, Palmer clearly rated by Pep.
I don't disagree at all, but at the same time, as the standards in the academy have improved, so have the standards of the first team as well.

We expect to win the league every year, we also expect to compete in every single competition that we are in. When guys like Rony, Angelino, and Denayer were here, the standards were not nearly as high, the jump is still the same, and there would be players that aren't able to make it, I just feel Palmer maybe one of them

So let me get this straight, some blues think we should bring Saka in and ditch Palmer?

It's a hard pass for me.

Saka isn't at the level either, talented but a long way to go in my eyes. So what would be the point in spending whatever inflated fee it would cost, whilst ousting one of our own to give him the chance instead? Where is the rush, Palmer has only just started being eased into the first team and the signs have been encouraging.

As for comparing Palmer to other players who came through. Some of them don't belong in the same conversation but of those that do, how many of them bar Foden were given a real chance? Maybe City as a club, have needed to improve their approach to it. I also don't think it's as simple as some are making out anyway. You never know how much of their potential a player will reach, until you give them to chance to prove themselves(a proper go at it, not just a couple of cup games). Predicting whether they will continue to level up or plateaux soon after they turn pro, is like trying to predict the weather years in advance, impossible. The second law of thermodynamics, chaos theory, the butterfly effect all follow a similar train of thought, the smallest of things can make a huge difference long term. That's why it's so hit and miss with bringing players through IMO.

How many times have we heard some of the greats talk about how they weren't the most talented in their age group but they went the furthest? Breakout seasons can happen at many different ages too, granted the club has to have a cut off point(sell with a buyback clause) but 20 seems excessive.

Pep clearly sees something in him. He was showing signs of having the right attitude(unfazed, surrounded by and competing against, seasoned pros too). He was being picked, then got unlucky with injuries and the end of the season was really close, which was a real shame for him.

Last edited:
So? He turned 20 in May. He was a teenager, scoring and assisting on his debuts etc. He played 11 times last season by January, and then sadly got injured for ages. He clearly would have reached about 20 appearances last season without that. An undeniable trajectory. He was 19 years old throughout the season trying to break into one of the best teams this league has ever seen, in a position we're stacked in, and Pep was clearly prepared to use him a fair bit. It was understandable that Pep didnt use him at the end as it was too late to ease him back in... but its as clear as day that Pep rates him. He's had more football than the likes of Delap, McAtee and Lavia combined.

As for Sane and Sterling. Well, its a lot easier to break into Schalke's side or that old Liverpool side then itll ever be for Palmer to get into City's side. He'd have got into those sides too IMO. Lol at Walcott. Irrelevant.

At his age, Sane and Sterling were playing for us, and in meaningful roles. Lol, at Walcott? Aye ok, that's a pretty clueless remark.

I respect you more than to get equally pissy back at you, let's see how he does this season. His injury was unfortunate, but he with 3 months our, he still only managed 4 league appearances. only 1 stary in total, if I remember correctly. I did actually feel bad for him, that since his return in April Pep didn't get him on for even a minute when he had 3 substitutions to use, just so he could qualify for a PL medal.

Really hope he proves me wrong, and shows he can play a part this season. But the expectation on him to have a significant contribution are way over the top.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.