It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I hardly think Gundogan and Bernardo are the best examples. Both of which are trusted by Pep and play a ton of games. Both are also capable of playing in several positions so are likely to find game time throughout the season.

If you are a CB then it becomes 10x harder to get in the team because you are in a specialized position and it will take an injury crisis to get in the team and stay there.

Rodri and Grealish did join the squad knowing they had competition but Phillips realistically has one person to compete with in Rodri and Grealish whilst he is fighting for game time with Foden, Mahrez and Bernardo for a position, is playing on the wing and there is more to go around there.

I agree we aren't going to sign someone who doesn't back themselves for obvious reasons but I bet you will struggle to find a CB in world football who would back themselves to beat out Stones, Dias, Laporte and Ake.

Ask a RW for example if they fancy battling Mahrez and the answer is completely different.

Anyway, its all a moot argument. We aren't signing anyone else unless someone leaves and CB will be bottom of the pile for a while I reckon.
A player like Kounde would be ideal because he could also compete directly for either outside back position while providing extra cover for our injury prone CBs. By chance or bad luck we always seem to have at least one of our 4 CBs out injured and many times, 2.

I think we need to sign another full back.

Sundays game I thought that Kyle Walker might have been playing through the pain barrier as he seemed to be struggling to get up to speed. If he is injured or struggling that leaves us with Cancelo and a completely unproven Gomes as our full backs.

I, wrongly assumed, that Pep was hoping to have a combo of 4 full backs this season, 2 left and 2 right but with the option of an overlapping and inverted fullback on both sides. So basically exactly what we have now but with Zinchenko still there.

I think only have 3 senior full backs with 1 unproven leaves us short. Unfortunately our CB injuries now means we don’t have the luxury of using Ake or Stones should we need to.

The set up of our squad this year heavily relies on us having a good season injury wise I think.

Sundays game I thought that Kyle Walker might have been playing through the pain barrier as he seemed to be struggling to get up to speed. If he is injured or struggling that leaves us with Cancelo and a completely unproven Gomes as our full backs.

I, wrongly assumed, that Pep was hoping to have a combo of 4 full backs this season, 2 left and 2 right but with the option of an overlapping and inverted fullback on both sides. So basically exactly what we have now but with Zinchenko still there.

I think only have 3 senior full backs with 1 unproven leaves us short. Unfortunately our CB injuries now means we don’t have the luxury of using Ake or Stones should we need to.

The set up of our squad this year heavily relies on us having a good season injury wise I think.

well the rumour always was that City would get a senior left back even if they signed Gomez but that seems to have all gone quiet which seems strange and could be a bad decision by Txiki and the board imo.

Something that has never happened in living memory. Last season we went into the run-in with an ageing Fernandinho playing at centre half. Already this season, Laporte hasn't played a game, Phillips and Palmer were injured before a ball was kicked and now Ake and Grealish are injured. All before we move into the 2 games a week period.

Pep's a genius and pulled it out of the bag last year so, hopefully, he can do it again.

Something that has never happened in living memory. Last season we went into the run-in with an ageing Fernandinho playing at centre half. Already this season, Laporte hasn't played a game, Phillips and Palmer were injured before a ball was kicked and now Ake and Grealish are injured. All before we move into the 2 games a week period.

Pep's a genius and pulled it out of the bag last year so, hopefully, he can do it again.

i wonder if he`s getting a bit fed up of having to pull it out of the bag though? When asked last week he was asked were we done in the transfer market and he answered apparently yes? He didnt look happy about it either but it was a strange way to answer the question as if he was happy with the squad he would normally come out and say he was, outstanding this and that?

Your assuming that because Gomez may not have been the first choice or might not have been the most experienced option that he is not a senior player or cannot be trusted. The experts chose him over lots of other options. Why now spend money on those lesser options in order to some how replace him and his lack of experience but with inferior ability or at least ability to do what we want to do ?

Last edited:
A player like Kounde would be ideal because he could also compete directly for either outside back position while providing extra cover for our injury prone CBs. By chance or bad luck we always seem to have at least one of our 4 CBs out injured and many times, 2.
Well he's signed for Barca lol but I see your point. I agree that it seems that we have injury prone CBs but if that's the case then we should have sold them and replaced. You can't go and buy two more CBs just in case Ake or Stones get injured. Having 6 senior CBs is outrageous.

We have 4 senior, Mbete and in Rodri and Phillips another two of capable of doing a job I am sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.