It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

You aren't going to find anyone who has the quality to play for us who is at best going to be 5th choice CB. We have just signed a very talented LB in Gomez. Rico Lewis is young but has already won plenty of attention from Pep.

Those moaning about the small squad and how it will come back to haunt us seem desperate for to be the case so they can be right at the end of the season.
Not at all. The reason people like myself worry about a small squad is that we have evidence of it biting us on the arse in at least the last 2 seasons where we have gone deep into 3-4 competitions and then fallen towards the end of two of them

Not at all. The reason people like myself worry about a small squad is that we have evidence of it biting us on the arse in at least the last 2 seasons where we have gone deep into 3-4 competitions and then fallen towards the end of two of them
It is impossible to have a big squad filled with the quality that people are expecting though. Would it make you feel better if we go and sign Phil Jagielka to sit in the stands in case one of the 4 senior CB's we have get injured?

In those competitions we were hardly playing 18yr olds because we had no senior backup. The players that played on that day just didn't perform. It happens sometimes and in cup competitions there is no way to recover. I think our management have proven their strategy is correct in the past 5 yrs simply because of the titles, semi finals and finals we have achieved. Several clubs around Europe have massive squads and have achieved nothing, so what is the best option?

I don't really understand what people think we are lacking. We have three senior keepers, four center backs, 2 left backs, 2 right backs, several midfielders and attackers and two strikers. 99% of our squad could probably play in any position on the pitch.
Never mind several youth talents desperate for game time and us as fans are desperate to see them given a chance.

Injuries happen to every squad. Every season. It's part of the game. Pep has spoken at length as to why huge squads are an issue, you end up with pissed off players and if they are pissed off they are not going to be putting in the performances.

You aren't going to find any players who are going to sign knowing full well that he's behind several other options who have been here several years and already have the trust of Pep.

What top class left back is out there. Never mind that signing one would piss off Cancelo and Gomez who has no doubt been promised some game time.
Your first paragraph was emphatically proven wrong by Gundo in the season finale v. Villa. He freely admitted afterwards that he was hoppin' mad about starting on the bench yet he responded with a title saving performance. Bernardo stepped in yesterday after not starting in the first 2 league games and responded with a goal and an assist. You can't make generic statements based on your own beliefs and expect them to be accepted as fact.

Your second paragraph is even less factual. Cancelo signed on knowing Walker was here and established. Phillips just did the same relative to Rodri. Grealish signed when Sterling and Gabby were still here and well established to go along with Mahrez and Foden. Your theory here may have some validity with some players, but I wouldn't want to sign a player not willing to back his own chances anyway. A guy with that mentality would not make it here.

Its a fact that we are a bit light in numbers relative to other big squads. Whether that winds up costing us or not remains to be seen, but your reasons for maintaining a smaller squad are unfounded. Just sayin'.

4 top quality CBs is enough for any squad. Injuries are part of the game. If we lose Dias or Stones then maybe we have to play Mbete, Rodri or Walker and make do with it until they are back. What CB is going to come when they know there are already 4 senior CBs here.
One like Kounde who can play outside just as well. Its one thing, for example, to play with "cover", but its an entirely different thing to play without any real competition for your job as is the case currently for both Walker and Cancelo. And that is not a good thing no matter how its spun.

We are not going to do another business, barring an emergency situation.

Our CB situation is still manageable, no need to bring another CB just because we have to. Wasting money while it can be used elsewhere in next summer.

Your first paragraph was emphatically proven wrong by Gundo in the season finale v. Villa. He freely admitted afterwards that he was hoppin' mad about starting on the bench yet he responded with a title saving performance. Bernardo stepped in yesterday after not starting in the first 2 league games and responded with a goal and an assist. You can't make generic statements based on your own beliefs and expect them to be accepted as fact.

Your second paragraph is even less factual. Cancelo signed on knowing Walker was here and established. Phillips just did the same relative to Rodri. Grealish signed when Sterling and Gabby were still here and well established to go along with Mahrez and Foden. Your theory here may have some validity with some players, but I wouldn't want to sign a player not willing to back his own chances anyway. A guy with that mentality would not make it here.

Its a fact that we are a bit light in numbers relative to other big squads. Whether that winds up costing us or not remains to be seen, but your reasons for maintaining a smaller squad are unfounded. Just sayin'.
I hardly think Gundogan and Bernardo are the best examples. Both of which are trusted by Pep and play a ton of games. Both are also capable of playing in several positions so are likely to find game time throughout the season.

If you are a CB then it becomes 10x harder to get in the team because you are in a specialized position and it will take an injury crisis to get in the team and stay there.

Rodri and Grealish did join the squad knowing they had competition but Phillips realistically has one person to compete with in Rodri and Grealish whilst he is fighting for game time with Foden, Mahrez and Bernardo for a position, is playing on the wing and there is more to go around there.

I agree we aren't going to sign someone who doesn't back themselves for obvious reasons but I bet you will struggle to find a CB in world football who would back themselves to beat out Stones, Dias, Laporte and Ake.

Ask a RW for example if they fancy battling Mahrez and the answer is completely different.

Anyway, its all a moot argument. We aren't signing anyone else unless someone leaves and CB will be bottom of the pile for a while I reckon.

Would be a good signing for them. Was hoping we’d follow up our interest from when he was at Sporting.

I’m sure it was rumoured to be fully done when he a youth team player wasn’t it? Before AC. Obviously the Portuguese media are known for jumping the gun, though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.