It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Yeah thats definitely true. In a way we have compensated our lack of a backup RB ( considering Cancelo as a LB) with have the Stones option there.
Preface: This isn't a personal attack against you please don't take it as such. I just see this as the latest example, thus I am using it for my comment.

John Stones is at the extremely low end, and that is in my opinion being generous, of competent as a RB. Those claiming he can fill in at that position will be in for a rude awakening if he actually plays there. He may,  may, be all right against a League Two side or lesser League One team in a cup match but I'd be worried about him playing against anyone with talent.

All this said, if there is an emergency situation such as the team all gets the flu/covid, food poisoning or some other such emergency then we'd have no choice and he could go out and give it his best.

Preface: This isn't a personal attack against you please don't take it as such. I just see this as the latest example, thus I am using it for my comment.

John Stones is at the extremely low end, and that is in my opinion being generous, of competent as a RB. Those claiming he can fill in at that position will be in for a rude awakening if he actually plays there. He may,  may, be all right against a League Two side or lesser League One team in a cup match but I'd be worried about him playing against anyone with talent.

All this said, if there is an emergency situation such as the team all gets the flu/covid, food poisoning or some other such emergency then we'd have no choice and he could go out and give it his best.
Yeah my point being his playing there or Ake playing at LB would only be in the scenario where Cancelo is injured and one of Walker/Gomez is injured. I definitely think we could have done with a back up RB rather than a backup CB if we are thinking of having Cancelo as our first choice LB.

He may,  may, be all right against a League Two side or lesser League One team in a cup match but I'd be worried about him playing against anyone with talent.

Look, I don't particularly want to see Johnny Stones lining up at RB every week, but how can anyone could write this when Stones was perfectly good at RB last season vs. Leeds, Brentford, Everton, Sporting (all 90 mins) and Real Madrid (for 35 mins).

We already have a body of evidence that proves he's capable of filling in against midtable premier league opposition and below. This League two sides in the cup bullshit is not just a bad opinion, we literally have proof it's not true.

Last edited:
Look, I don't particularly want to see Johnny Stones lining up at RB every week, but how can people write this bollocks when Stones was perfectly good at RB last season vs. Leeds, Brentford, Everton, Sporting (all 90 mins) and Real Madrid (for 35 mins).

We already have a body of evidence that proves he's capable of filling in against midtable premier league opposition and below. This League two sides in the cup bullshit is exactly that...bullshit.

Embarrasing post, and embarrassing that 2 normally sensible posters have liked it.
We disagree and that is ok. However, I'll choose to disagree without being disagreeable. Good day.

Spending £60m on rotational players (KP,Akanji) because we don`t trust the Academy (Lavia,Mbete) is disappointing.

It will probably take some time then people will understand that the primary importance of our Academy is to bring in revenue.
It is and always was an important part of the project.
The bonus is Foden has made it as a City player. An incredible feat when you consider the level you need to be at to play for us.
Palmer may yet do so, we will find out as the Season develops and he gets his opportunity.
Those continually calling for kids to be given a chance when our coach doesn't see them as at the required level are going to be disappointed.

We disagree and that is ok. However, I'll choose to disagree without being disagreeable. Good day.

I have no problem disagreeing over opinions, but it's a simple fact John Stones has been more than adequate against 5 teams that are miles above the level you claim he can play against. We only conceded 1 goal while he was playing RB in those 5 games, and that was when he pulled his hamstring vs Real Madrid and couldn't defend.

Your assertion we can only get away with playing Stones at RB vs. lower league oppsition is demonstrably false.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.