It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

i`m not entirely sure we will sign anyone higher than Haaland who in a sense can break or melt the internet? We start certain windows with reports we are going to smash it etc but a lot does depend on prices, players moving on etc?
Fair point. But I truly believe if there's a time to completely refresh our squad, the time is now. Also gives Pep a reason to stay longer.

I understand what you're saying but we already have a number of wingers who are more technical than fast. Grealish, Foden, Mahrez, Jesus. We need some upfront speed, something different. Besides, if a player has speed it does not mean that he lacks technique. Perhaps the correct definition is agile, quick rather than fast, someone who can beat players one-on-one quickly. Felix is really slow. Nkunku has it all.
Nkunku >>> Felix

Wouldn't mind running this squad next season... Still think there's a good chance we change our formation though.

View attachment 43477
I think having KDB, De Jong, Bernardo, Grealish, Rodri and Tchouameni all competing for 3 places might be a struggle. I also think Palmer would be better suited playing central. I'd guess it would be one of FDJ or Tchouameni and not both

I think some might well be forgetting the importance of what some of the more experienced players bring in terms of when they're not in the starting lineup.

Some of these players who are passed their best or who don't make it into the starting eleven are a vital part of what galvanises the team during big moments and when the pressure is on.

You only have to look down the road at the Cauldron of Piss to see that it's not as easy as saying "this player is better than our current one" and binning ours off for someone else's.

The winning mentality, willingness to show support to a teammate who is their rival in the starting eleven and all those other intangibles are not as easy to find as looking at a player for a couple of games and saying "he's got a nice first touch" or "he's much better defensively."

It looks like we're going to be losing various players who are important to the mentality of the squad as a whole and I think it's going to be harder to find adequate replacements than some seem to believe, even if the players we're after are in their physical prime.
I recall the season where we had a particularly bad start & Pep was questioning whether the dressing room was still responding to him.

Going into the Xmas, we had a defeat & a couple of draws, & when we were at our lowest, & when Pep believed his voice was having little effect, Fernandinho stepped in.

He gave the players his no holds barred thoughts during halftime in one match & during that week he had a Captain's meeting with the squad where he outlined what was expected from them & how lucky they were to be at City with the owners, management & coaching staff we had.

Pep also admitted it took him a while to realise the main thing which had gone wrong. It was players running with the ball, instead of our usual passing & moving into space. If memory serves me right, isn't that when we went on an 18-match winning run?

There's not a lot we can do if Fern still believes he has something to offer as a player, so now we'll lose his voice, experience, influence & the respect he has in the dressing room.

We knew days like Yaya, Kompany, Silva & Aguero leaving were going to come. I like most shit myself at the thought. We've never replaced like for like, but we've evolved into the club we are today.

We'll move on & different voices will become the dominant ones in the changing room. Most importantly our infrastructure is still firmly in place, & that's what's ultimately most important. It's evolution not a revolution once we pass Sunday. Fingers crossed all will be OK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.