It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

But we don’t seem to want to spend the kitty let alone the sales! Lol
I hate to agree but it does seem that way. There doesn't seem to be any interest or movement whatsoever in terms of reinforcing our wide attacking positions even though all the talk is about Bernardo and Mahrez possibly leaving, Palmer going out on loan and Foden being moved into the middle. MacAtee and Oscar Bobb can't be counted upon to maintain that type of attacking level. We would need at least 2 legit wide attacking players along the lines of Diaby, Simons, Chiesa, Sane, Coman among others at a minimum.

If Tolmie is right and we're looking to exceed 200 mil it means we expect Bernardo to leave. Its simple math. We can't hit that number even if we sold Laporte, Walker, Mahrez, Cancelo, and a handful of youngsters...

Could it be that we're trying to prove some kind of point in lieu of the "charges"? This is the first window since that bullshit was brought forward.

Just asking...

I actually don't think we are weakened because I think that a ball carrier in the centre has a different skill to bring to the table than Gundo as it gives us dribbling in the centre, which we have not had. Bernardo has it but he uses it more to retain possession rather than spring attacks. We are not finished anyway and we don't know the roles planned for Phil, McAtee, Palmer and Bobb - this could be a big transition, especially because some are also reaching the end of their ability to play at their peak, game in and game out, and will need resting a bit more than we are used to.
He has a different skillset, I'll grant you. One thing Kova doesn't have though is that ability to pirouette and change direction in an instance the way Gundo did; that was probably his biggest strength and unlocked so much space in our final third. That one trait, I would argue, is more effective than being able to dribble through the lines. Like I say, I think Kova will be good for us, just can't help feel we're taking a timid approach going into next season. I honestly thought we'd blow the doors off after the season we've just had. The worst thing you can do when you're at your strongest is to rest on your laurels.

I hate to agree but it does seem that way. There doesn't seem to be any interest or movement whatsoever in terms of reinforcing our wide attacking positions even though all the talk is about Bernardo and Mahrez possibly leaving, Palmer going out on loan and Foden being moved into the middle. MacAtee and Oscar Bobb can't be counted upon to maintain that type of attacking level. We would need at least 2 legit wide attacking players along the lines of Diaby, Simons, Chiesa, Sane, Coman among others at a minimum.

If Tolmie is right and we're looking to exceed 200 mil it means we expect Bernardo to leave. Its simple math. We can't hit that number even if we sold Laporte, Walker, Mahrez, Cancelo, and a handful of youngsters...

Could it be that we're trying to prove some kind of point in lieu of the "charges"? This is the first window since that bullshit was brought forward.

Just asking...

There maybe something in that mate but I just think we lack the appetite to do another £100m plus transfer and propel the club really into elite level further as following up on last season and in khaldoons eyes being even better requires investment?

Gonna be a superstar on day
I know he's very young and it's not his primary role, but even with all that considered, from what I've seen so far he is absolutely the worst attacking wide player at pressing, tracking back, providing some resistance, etc. to come out of our academy in recent times. His awareness on the defensive side of things is extremely poor, almost non-existent. Again, I know he's a kid and he could potentially be coached up, but how else to explain his lack of opportunities thus far from Pep given his outrageous attacking acumen?

You would have thought so. I know it’s early days and City know what they are doing, but I’m mildly surprised that so far we are Kovacic in Gundogan out. Just seems a lot left to do.

That said I didn’t think our squad was big enough last season so I got that massively wrong.
I don't think you were massively wrong at all. We reached the mountain top but we enjoyed a good bit of fortune too in terms of injuries and player availability, especially in the midfield. With the exception of a few games here and there Rodri, Gundo, and Bernardo were available all the time. KDB was banged up here and there but nothing long term. Other than some late season appearances from Alvarez in a hybrid role and a sprinkling of Foden very late on we won a treble playing the amount of games that requires with basically 4 midfielders.

We also had Haaland available for 90+ % of the time and Alvarez always. Jack and Riyad were never not available. Foden was the only one of the 3 who missed any amount of notable time.

We did suffer the usual ins and outs at the back, including the Cancelo debacle, but that was the one area where we had depth in numbers in Pep's new system and as it turned out we needed it. We may well need the same type of depth in the other areas of the squad in the coming season.

I think what we were able to do with a squad that light in numbers was that much more incredible, a massive tribute to Pep and the boys, but it would be risky as shit to run it back with a crew that light in the midfield and out wide. Phillips has to either step up BIG TIME or be replaced. We need to add someone in an AM/wide forward spot with Bernardo and Mahrez staying. If either or both were to go it would require more than a little wall paper...I'm not in any way trying to be a flapper...JMHO

Until players leave either sold or loan we only have room for 1 more
Not at all true...we're light from the get go. We rob Peter to pay Paul with players like Bernardo, Phil, and to an extent Alvarez. I'm not complaining, just giving an honest opinion. Did we win it all? ABSOLUTELY!! Were we a bit fortunate in terms of injuries and player availability in light of that number and difficulty of fixtures? I'd say 100%. Compare man games lost to other teams in the Prem and around Europe and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Rico, Palmer, Gomez, Perrone, Bobb, etc. at the moment may be able to fill in and do a job but at a Champions of Europe level consistently over an extended period of time? And we have no idea if Phillips makes good or not. I'm rooting for him to do so, both for his sake and for ours...

I'm not saying him specifically, but could we use a Chiesa quality type of player who can play on either flank to mix in with Jack and Mahrez? Especially if Phil and Bernardo are going to be 2 of only 4 8s along with KDB and Kovacic...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.