It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

My argument regarding Barcelona B is to show how Pep sees things, not me. And I wasn’t really talking about McAtee either.
But since you mentioned him, claiming that doing well in the Championship means he is tested to work at our level is insane. The level of the Championship is weak. Look what happened when the run away champions Burnley played us. Sheffield United had one tough game in their FA Cup campaign, against Tottenham, which they won 1-0 with their pants in their hands. Against us he couldn’t play— would have been good for experience.
Do we ever sign Championship players for our first team? Does any big 6 team for that matter?
And we should clarify that it took McAtee a few months to start playing well in the Championship too. It’s natural, not blaming him. Also, have heard from SU fans who like him a lot and wish he’d stay because they don’t think he’s even ready for our bench yet.
Saying all this is to temper expectations. Don’t be shocked if the outcome of our preseason is that he doesn’t stay beyond
The English Championship is the strongest second tier in the World. Didn’t Beckham go to Preston for experience? They have to be tested somewhere. I’d argue that the ECL isn’t that much different, in average standard, to the Dutch top tier.

McAtee isn't unproven though, is he?

He was very good for a team who won promotion to the Premier League and reached an FA Cup semi-final.

The Championship is miles above the dross that Barcelona B play week in, week out.

So you're argument doesn't really stand up to any real scrutiny.

Ahhh, Gus, having said all that, I've missed your nonsense. Welcome back. ;-)
Doyle was better by all accounts and there's no calls for him to break through?

Not saying there isn't any potential or promise, but I think people need to calm down a bit with him.

Personally I'd prefer another loan for him, because the handful of appearances for us in the early rounds of the cup competitions won't do him as much good as a full season playing IMO.

My argument regarding Barcelona B is to show how Pep sees things, not me. And I wasn’t really talking about McAtee either.
But since you mentioned him, claiming that doing well in the Championship means he is tested to work at our level is insane. The level of the Championship is weak. Look what happened when the run away champions Burnley played us. Sheffield United had one tough game in their FA Cup campaign, against Tottenham, which they won 1-0 with their pants in their hands. Against us he couldn’t play— would have been good for experience.
Do we ever sign Championship players for our first team? Does any big 6 team for that matter?
And we should clarify that it took McAtee a few months to start playing well in the Championship too. It’s natural, not blaming him. Also, have heard from SU fans who like him a lot and wish he’d stay because they don’t think he’s even ready for our bench yet.
Saying all this is to temper expectations. Don’t be shocked if the outcome of our preseason is that he doesn’t stay beyond

Didn’t you spend months on here telling us we would all be underwhelmed with Alvarez and he was not at our level yet?

The coaches haven’t seen them against tough opposition either. I have seen more than a hundred players in my life that were supposed to make it after their Academy and just didn’t pull off the “jump”. It’s an uncertainty
Right you know better than Pep and or coaches. I’m out.

To put it in perspective. For arguments sake, let's say we have 30 players in the academy to choose from.
If each other top level team in Europe have the same number, that is approximately 100 other teams, so 3000 academy players. 1000s more if you look worldwide.
The odds that we produce the player needed with the specific skill set and ability level, and specific opening in the squad, is remote.
Academies are there for selling players to other teams who match the player, and vice-versa.
Sometimes, the pieces fall into place and lots of academy players get to progress at their academy club senior team, but mostly it's a player merry-go-round.
Getting academy players into the 1st team is the exception, NOT the rule.
Anyhoo, carry on with the "academy wishful thinking dream" if that floats yer boat...
Completely, pal.

Didn’t you spend months on here telling us we would all be underwhelmed with Alvarez and he was not at our level yet?
I argued he would be slowly introduced to team and there would be a difference in playing for the Argentinian league. Then what happened was we sold Jesus and he was forced into a more significant role, but he still played significantly less than Haaland, who happens to be younger than him, but had more experience than him. I also could not have predicted that he would have played as important a role in the World Cup as he did, which also was an injection of experience and confidence. What will happen is exactly what I predicted: in his second season is when he will get more consistent time and have adapted better

I argued he would be slowly introduced to team and there would be a difference in playing for the Argentinian league. Then what happened was we sold Jesus and he was forced into a more significant role, but he still played significantly less than Haaland, who happens to be younger than him, but had more experience than him. I also could not have predicted that he would have played as important a role in the World Cup as he did, which also was an injection of experience and confidence. What will happen is exactly what I predicted: in his second season is when he will get more consistent time and have adapted better

That’s not how I remember it. I just recall you saying he was pretty average and we would be underwhelmed.

That’s not how I remember it. I just recall you saying he was pretty average and we would be underwhelmed.
I do not remember myself ever saying he was average. I warned he was a good player within the context of South American football, which I know very well. I warned that because people here were setting very high expectations for him. Like I said, that was without knowing Jesus would be sold and he would have the WC he did.
I know it’s easier to have the “he was wrong about Alvarez” card to throw at me every time, but if you want to be intellectually honest, things aren’t that simple

I do not remember myself ever saying he was average. I warned he was a good player within the context of South American football, which I know very well. I warned that because people here were setting very high expectations for him. Like I said, that was without knowing Jesus would be sold and he would have the WC he did.
I know it’s easier to have the “he was wrong about Alvarez” card to throw at me every time, but if you want to be intellectually honest, things aren’t that simple

‘intellectually honest’. Deary me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.