It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

If you go by TH there could be a few surprises staying home
Not to disparrage the great TH but isnt he only right about 60-70% of the time
A disaster in City terms atm would be not making top 4 (feels strange not saying relegation) and the way other teams are strengthening if we remain with such a small squad it could definitely happen.

Although I don't think it will, IMO I think we'll sign 2/3 players or at least I hope.
I keep on seeing this about other teams strengthening and i asked the question yesterday same as today, out of all the teams around us which ones have signed players that would make or improve us as a team?

£15m isn’t a penny pinch though is it. It buys you an Akanji for example! Successful business’ don't stay at the top by wasting money for the sake of it or because they can.
This argument is exactly why the right people are running our club, look at Barça, they have had your attitude for years and now find they can’t buy who they’d like as they can’t register them. They are also now facing questions from UEFA, something we’d like to avoid.
£1-2m I get, £5m I’d see an argument for, but again that’s not how good business’ run and regardless of how we as fans feel, Manchester City Football Club is a business foremost.
It is a penny pinch though. For an organisation the size of ours, it's cutting your nose to spite your face. We've taken a principled stance but ultimately, what is that saved £15mil going to be spent on that will benefit us more than a decade of Rice's services would have?

If we did it for every player I’d agree with you, or if we paid about £50m over the odds, BUT, look at the income we generate, compared to clubs like Arsenal - and for one player Pep wanted, after such a good season, perhaps sometimes the club need to push the boat out a bit. Given the prices of even average players these days, plus our prize money this season alone, £15m isn’t a huge amount to us I wouldn’t have thought.
We do it based on our valuation, sometimes we’ll lowball knowing we’ll have to put up or shut up. We deemed Grealish worth a £100m punt and this last season it looks like it was a great call. Rice was never a £100m player though and never will be let alone £105m plus add-one. We also don’t have to push the boat out as you say, we stick to our guns and do our business how we see fit, a treble and 3 titles in a row suggests our model is pretty much spot on and working.
Id also point out that nowhere has it been proven Pep wanted Rice, Bellingham possibly but Rice? I think the world and his wife could see Rice only really wanted Arsenal so City put in a cheeky bid and it didn’t pan out.
Potentially by the end of this window City could have near £600m sat in the transfer kitty, it doesn’t mean we have to spend it though and if Pep does decide to leave in two seasons that banking that money up for a new manager to rebuild isn’t a bad think. It’s not about the past or now, it’s about the future and the club may be privy to new rules that may require spending based on money banked etc? I’ve no idea but we won’t ever just splash £5m+ let alone £15m just to get a deal done.
Every season a new superstar arrives on the scene, every window there’s a talent, players come and go and some join City where others don’t. It’s the nature of the beast and I’ve every confidence the club will pluck out a gem from absolutely nowhere like we did with many before them.
The moment we cave on a deal, we’ll be fucked over by every club in the future we deal with. It’s not the amount, it‘s the principle and professionalism that stop us doing it.
I do fully get the frustration, I feel it too, but I understand the reasons behind it, I run my own business’ and see the same situations come up.

It is a penny pinch though. For an organisation the size of ours, it's cutting your nose to spite your face. We've taken a principled stance but ultimately, what is that saved £15mil going to be spent on that will benefit us more than a decade of Rice's services would have?
ffs. It is pretty clear Rice didn't want to be here. Maybe for a few days he flirted with the idea which is why we put a bid in but its pretty obvious to me that he turned round and said he wants to go to Arsenal and so we pulled out and moved on.

Rice looks like he didn't want to move and even then probably didn't back himself enough to get into our midfield so he took the easy option. Doesn't even have to move house.

A disaster in City terms atm would be not making top 4 (feels strange not saying relegation) and the way other teams are strengthening if we remain with such a small squad it could definitely happen.

Although I don't think it will, IMO I think we'll sign 2/3 players or at least I hope.
Aye

I posted the squad as some here seem to think we have only 5 players when they panic over anyone possibly leaving

Walker goes we will replace
cancelo has been replaced by lewis
laporte goes - gvadiol
gundo - kovacic
mahrez and berny, I do think McAtee will be promoted to more game time and not a loan, and we will buy a replacement for at least one of them if either goes.

The drama queens though of bluemoon crack me up

Last edited:
£15m pays the wages for the staff behind the scenes, pays the women’s team wages, pays the youth players wages etc etc… money saved in one area funds another meaning less outlay all together.
MCFC as an organisation are the business model, not just the men’s first team! See my reply to someone else a few posts above this though.

Not to disparrage the great TH but isnt he only right about 60-70% of the time

I keep on seeing this about other teams strengthening and i asked the question yesterday same as today, out of all the teams around us which ones have signed players that would make or improve us as a team?
It's not just about the team it's the squad we're looking at losing another 4 players and linked with absolutely nobody. I'd have signed the 2 midfielders Liverpool bought I'd have signed Rice, Tonali maybe Maddison but I don't see Spurs as a threat.

Anyway by the end of Sept we'll be sorted this club isn't stupid :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.