It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Is this the let's trash the itks thread?. jeez the insider info is what keeps forums like this interesting personally I love the gossip in the close season i would not have it any other way.Some people aren't happy until there whingeing about something.anyway any news on mitoma just read Brighton have said they can't rule out him leaving. I reckon he would be perfect for us.

the one area i look at our team and feel unimpressed by is the wings. and to be honest it wasn't like it was our strong suit last year either. I am not buying the "pep only wants winger who can control" thing. I think he's just yet to find a more "expressive" winger that he likes. But I think we run the risk of being too predictable like that. I mean, you're not getting creativity from the fullbacks since we're now playing all CB's. And If kovacic were to occupy the position next to rodri, add to that grealish & bernardo on the wings, you have 9 players in the team whose role is to recycle possession. It could work if the the 10th and 11th are KDB and haaland, but take one and you get no one who can up the tempo or run a counter with. And I think relying on kevin at his age is too risky.

I think every 11 of us has to have at least 3 players who go more direct, so you either start haaland,kdb&foden or you get a direct winger in.

the one area i look at our team and feel unimpressed by is the wings. and to be honest it wasn't like it was our strong suit last year either. I am not buying the "pep only wants winger who can control" thing. I think he's just yet to find a more "expressive" winger that he likes. But I think we run the risk of being too predictable like that. I mean, you're not getting creativity from the fullbacks since we're now playing all CB's. And If kovacic were to occupy the position next to rodri, add to that grealish & bernardo on the wings, you have 9 players in the team whose role is to recycle possession. It could work if the the 10th and 11th are KDB and haaland, but take one and you get no one who can up the tempo or run a counter with. And I think relying on kevin at his age is too risky.

I think every 11 of us has to have at least 3 players who go more direct, so you either start haaland,kdb&foden or you get a direct winger in.
We haven’t had a direct winger since Sane, even Sterling was inverted.That’s by design not because we can’t find any. The other thing Pep doesn’t want his wingers doing is losing possession and most direct wingers are susceptible to that too. Add to fact we spend most of the game breaking down a back 6 or 7 sitting deep there is no space for direct wingers.

We haven’t had a direct winger since Sane, even Sterling was inverted.That’s by design not because we can’t find any. The other thing Pep doesn’t want his wingers doing is losing possession and most direct wingers are susceptible to that too. Add to fact we spend most of the game breaking down a back 6 or 7 sitting deep there is no space for direct wingers.

We have direct Haaland with his pace.. don't need a direct winger.

Hardest thing seems to be getting balls through to him!

We have direct Haaland with his pace.. don't need a direct winger.

Hardest thing seems to be getting balls through to him!
Yes, we get few opportunities to get in behind teams but when we do we do need players other than KDB that sees and releases that pass. It isn’t an ability thing though, I‘m sure Grealish, Foden, Kovacic, Bernardo ,Rodri, Stones and Gvardiol all have the ability to make that pass. In fact would have thought all our players including Ederson .

There is if they’re a great dribbler rather than out and our pace men

Yes, we get few opportunities to get in behind teams but when we do we do need players other than KDB that sees and releases that pass. It isn’t an ability thing though, I‘m sure Grealish, Foden, Kovacic, Bernardo ,Rodri, Stones and Gvardiol all have the ability to make that pass. In fact would have thought all our players including Ederson .
Which beggars the question, why aren’t we making those passes, are the lads under instruction?

Which beggars the question, why aren’t we making those passes, are the lads under instruction?
My guess is first these opportunities are very infrequent,teams rarely leave themselves open to us countering, Liverpool one of the few. So it’s almost ingrained and drilled into them that we build up slowly shifting the opposition around to create an overload and break through that way. To be fair it works well.
I just think KDB is quick enough thinking and brave enough / self confident to play that first time ball through. Others may be too worried about giving away possession and getting a bollocking from Pep. As I say it worked well enough last season so lets see.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.