It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

I’m not sure Couto is the answer, as he’s a wing back really and we’ve shown that we are better with 4 centre halves in defence that false fullbacks.

However, we’ve adapted our system to allow Walker oceans of room on the right that a better offensive player could exploit more.

We still need a solid defensive right back when we need to defend against better sides. (Maybe Akanji is that answer)

The other player to keep an eye on is Alphonso Davies, who only has one year left in the summer and were reportedly monitoring.
Davies is more likely to stay at Bayern or alternatively move to Real Madrid. Good player.

Have we ever moved on a player after a season? I don't think we did in the last 10-15 years. We haven't even moved Kalvin after a year. Not a chance we do that with Nunes, who has shown glimpses of high potential despite being quite raw.
He doesn't even seem to be a serious option for selection. I think if we can cash in on him to get our money back more or less we'll jump at the chance. No doubt Mendes could put something together

Who do you see here?
The one player that I would definitely go for is Joelinton. For starters, Newcastle are in a well advertised financial pickle, so we could get him rather cheaply, which always appeals to niggardly me, and that would immediately weaken them, too. People will of course raise eyebrows and say that he’s not good enough for us, but I reckon that his versatility is exactly the quality that we need. Howe has pulled him back into midfield where he has been an absolute revelation. He’s physically imposing, good in the air, and probably stronger in the tackle even than Rodri, so I reckon he could be coached to fill in for Rodri when he’s absent or needs rest; I’d certainly be much more comfortable with him in there than Kovacic/Nunes or even Paqueta. The other attractive thing about him is that he can actually play wide on the left, much in the role that Gvardiol has recently been playing, though with a genuine attacking threat, and he can also be used as a spearhead in attack when Haaland is unavailable. As I say a comparatively low outlay could net three players, maybe four. The other player that I would go for is Paqueta, though that would depend on the investigation clearing him and whether Nunes remains in our plans. Both Joelinton and Paqueta know the League, know Ederson, and would immediately challenge for first-team berths, raising again both the overall quality of the team and squad.

Others might want more, but if Liverpool and Arsenal are under new managers next season, Arteta to Barcelona, then that’s 50% of the current top 4, so we might not need a handful of players to maintain our lead.

The one player that I would definitely go for is Joelinton. For starters, Newcastle are in a well advertised financial pickle, so we could get him rather cheaply, which always appeals to niggardly me, and that would immediately weaken them, too. People will of course raise eyebrows and say that he’s not good enough for us, but I reckon that his versatility is exactly the quality that we need. Howe has pulled him back into midfield where he has been an absolute revelation. He’s physically imposing, good in the air, and probably stronger in the tackle even than Rodri, so I reckon he could be coached to fill in for Rodri when he’s absent or needs rest; I’d certainly be much more comfortable with him in there than Kovacic/Nunes or even Paqueta. The other attractive thing about him is that he can actually play wide on the left, much in the role that Gvardiol has recently been playing, though with a genuine attacking threat, and he can also be used as a spearhead in attack when Haaland is unavailable. As I say a comparatively low outlay could net three players, maybe four. The other player that I would go for is Paqueta, though that would depend on the investigation clearing him and whether Nunes remains in our plans. Both Joelinton and Paqueta know the League, know Ederson, and would immediately challenge for first-team berths, raising again both the overall quality of the team and squad.

Others might want more, but if Liverpool and Arsenal are under new managers next season, Arteta to Barcelona, then that’s 50% of the current top 4, so we might not need a handful of players to maintain our lead.
Interesting left field choice! I’d be surprised if we went for Joe Linton, but he’s definitely better in midfield.

I‘d still be wanting another right back option in the squad and a versatile right winger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.