It's Quiet.....a new beginning.

NoahCity said:
jake28 said:
Stoned Rose said:
To be fair to Bob he's 1000% right.

Without doubt. It was moronic not to back him when the club were in such a powerful position having won the league.
Problem with RVP is that he wanted to get more playing time than we would have been able to provide, United could and we couldn't offload any of our strikers. De Rossi didn't want to leave Roma. With Hazard we didn't want to pay agents fees. Mancini should have better plan B targets than what we ended up with.

Someone fucked up big time last transfer window. Had we signed just Van Persie last season we would have won the league. Had we signed all three we would have won it by 12 points.

This season it's a tentative so far so good but these latest striker rumours don't blow me away.

If we had an agreement in place with Persie and we fucked that up and he went to the rags then that is a shocker even by our standards.

Football politics and like any politics they are usually bent as fuck, used for self ambition and personal achievement and covered up by saying that it is in the interests of the club. Pah.

I believe that 2nd was more to do with Mancini not being able to get the most from his players against average opposition than to do with any lack of signings.

Sheik Mansour would not have let Mancini go if he had faith in him. Obviously he trusts Soriano more. Mancini should show some respect to the man who filled his bank account beyond his wildest dreams.

Mancini's yapping to the media is only showing himself up.

TonyM said:
I believe that 2nd was more to do with Mancini not being able to get the most from his players against average opposition than to do with any lack of signings.

Sheik Mansour would not have let Mancini go if he had faith in him. Obviously he trusts Soriano more. Mancini should show some respect to the man who filled his bank account beyond his wildest dreams.

Both sides of this argument are right - Mancini didn't do well enough with the players or address the concerns over his relationship or style of football. This meant the balance of power lay with the Spaniards - to leave him in charge having finished second would have been a tacit admission to their failure last summer. Trust me, I want Pelle to succeed, he is a cracking coach and we will see some good football.... it's just a bit bizarre that people are swallowing his targets as being lower than Mancini's failure. I think it's remarkable that the Spaniards have disassembled so much, the top brass might be a bit uncomfortable, as Txiki and co have now missed two key transfer targets that seemed nailed on (sure, there are reasons, there always are), in addition to failing to secure Pep (their primary target). They look a bit wobbly. I like how they talk but I can't see anything really amazing about what they have done - remember that they were saying the days of a squad of 20m players was not the way to go, it should be 10m players supporting megastars. So they are selling 10m players and buying non-star players for 20m+... hmm...
And the point about them being 27/28 is not that such players are over the hill, it's that they have minimal resale value in 3 years time. It's fair to say that FFP is around for the long turn, and these economics might curtail our spending when a real mega-star might be available to us.
Fernandinho looks a cracking player but was expensive. There must be concerns about spending that much on a player who hasn't proved himself in a major league.
Negredo, good player, should be a good fit. But you can throw the fact that we sold Balotelli and Tevez for less than he and Osvaldo would cost. They have a lower mean age and higher outright quality.
Having said that it is vital to remember it's about the mix of skills and characters. I would much rather cheer on a cheap, smartly engineered squad than one at which money has been thrown. The proof will be in the pudding... at the same time, my analytical mind is saying that strategy (usually the best long term strategy is buy young, and outright quality performs regardless of mix) clearly trumps tactics (implying prioritising short termism, counting pennies and prioritising this year's team performance) over time. Really all that matters is making sense out of things - like, Rodwell and Garcia were poor purchases in context - neither would ever be the magic bullet, you can't play more than one at a time, and now that money is gone.
Mancini might be unpleasantly bitter but he might be right to some extent. I hope there is more to this summer than meets the eye.
Truth maybe that we have to overpay to get the targets. There might be a long term game here, walking away is a powerful move, but it's undermined wholly when we make other mistakes. My advice to the brass - don't worry about what other's think of you - Win, and you become powerful and feared. When you are feared, other clubs walk away from your targets. I think we are feared a lot less in the market now, than since the takeover happened. I feel we have lost momentum, and I'd take some convincing that this is not the case.

A players resale value.

I hear this phrase quite a lot on the forum and a
I find it a bit weak, its almost like saying "yer I married the wife until some better bloke comes along". It's defeatism before we've even kicked a ball. Why would we want to sell a great player and why are we considering ourselves as a second rated team. Also who are these teams that will spend big on a city player or any prem player, I can only think of two or three players that went for biggish type money and that was before the financial problems.

I'm not arguing, I just find it baffling........answers please.

The problem was Marwood, he was indecisive, and took too long therefore missing out, the simple facts. Why he is still at the club mystifies me.
Still it's all in the past now, onwards and upwards with MP who, being a far superior man manager than RM may be just what is needed.

TonyM said:

It's kind of slimey the way he publically sucks up to the chairman & owner even now, then slaughters people such as Marwood & Soriano, who are appointed by the chairman & owner to do exactly what they have been doing. He knows that.

He is actually slagging off the owner but doing it in a shitty, sly way.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
NoahCity said:
jake28 said:
Without doubt. It was moronic not to back him when the club were in such a powerful position having won the league.
Problem with RVP is that he wanted to get more playing time than we would have been able to provide, United could and we couldn't offload any of our strikers. De Rossi didn't want to leave Roma. With Hazard we didn't want to pay agents fees. Mancini should have better plan B targets than what we ended up with.

Someone fucked up big time last transfer window. Had we signed just Van Persie last season we would have won the league. Had we signed all three we would have won it by 12 points.

This season it's a tentative so far so good but these latest striker rumours don't blow me away.

If we had an agreement in place with Persie and we fucked that up and he went to the rags then that is a shocker even by our standards.

At the risk of being slated there are similarities with the last window and this window. We were led to believe that the same mistakes wouldn't be repeated and that we would be making a big statement, getting players in early and making the football world take notice.

So far though :

We have missed out on top targets (Isco, Cavani etc) just like last year (Hazard, RVP etc).

We have acted early on a couple of squad improvements (Fernandinho, Navas) just like last year (Rodwell)

Now it has gone quiet just like last year (something changed again after all the proclamations??)

We are being linked with second best (Osvaldo etc) just like last year (Garcia, Maicon etc).

I know there is plenty of time yet but it feels like we again had the right intentions but once again things have stalled. This time there will be more teams in the mix for the PL and top 4.

PS : For the record, I am not flapping, just merely making an observation. I do believe that Pelligrini will get more out of the squad. I also believe that Negredo would be a good signing.

Big Dave Watson said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
NoahCity said:

At the risk of being slated there are similarities with the last window and this window. We were led to believe that the same mistakes wouldn't be repeated and that we would be making a big statement, getting players in early and making the football world take notice.

So far though :

We have missed out on top targets (Isco, Cavani etc) just like last year (Hazard, RVP etc).

We have acted early on a couple of squad improvements (Fernandinho, Navas) just like last year (Rodwell)

Now it has gone quiet just like last year (something changed again after all the proclamations??)

We are being linked with second best (Osvaldo etc) just like last year (Garcia, Maicon etc).

I know there is plenty of time yet but it feels like we again had the right intentions but once again things have stalled. This time there will be more teams in the mix for the PL and top 4.
So far, it's absolutely nothing like last window.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.