It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anything you've quoted is untrue? He's a bit of a laughing stock in the eyes of many and even though he's nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe he's also nowhere near as good as one or two on here like to think.
I wouldn't be unhappy to see him stay but if Madrid offered anything upwards of 30m I'd snap their hands off.

A lot of people's opinions of player from other clubs are formed of the back of match of the day "highlights". Otamendi is a decent defender but not a world beater we don't need any pundits to tell us that. I'm hoping that some new legs as full backs will help the defence and a whole season of getting use to pep will help

The conversation was about if other clubs would be willing to pay big money for him and if he was worth the same as Van Dijk.

I said no, one primary reason being his reputation since coming here has (1) gone downhill quickly. No longer the La liga TOTY highly praised CB chased by several clubs, he's now 2 (2) regarded as an awful signing and a very average player prone to dropping in a howler. Whether that's true isn't actually relevant as we all know public opinion and hype isn't always fair.

The clown I replied to has refused to accept that his reputation in this country is not good, despite it being obvious to anyone who watches or listens to any football media.

So he's started this little argument because...well actually who knows why.

(1) You said his reputation was "in the gutter" and when I pulled you up to explain, you introduced these imaginary friends (TV, Radio, non City fans - still LMFAO) that agreed with you. I have no issue with you not liking him, but making shit up just negates any argument. You believe he is shit, well he isn't.

(2) By whom exactly and by that I mean by whom that matters.

As for calling me a clown - grow up

(1) You said his reputation was "in the gutter" and when I pulled you up to explain, you introduced these imaginary friends (TV, Radio, non City fans - still LMFAO) that agreed with you. I have no issue with you not liking him, but making shit up just negates any argument. You believe he is shit, well he isn't.

(2) By whom exactly and by that I mean by whom that matters.

As for calling me a clown - grow up

"Grow up" from a user whose only response is "keep digging!" And uses "LMAO".

Jesus Christ, let's try this from another angle.

What do you think the general opinion of Otamendi is outside of Manchester City fans?

The opinion of other clubs fans, the media, pundits etc.

If you are looking as a gauge to what MNF,Garth fucking Crooks,5 Live and other media outlets think of our players and staff you are well and truly pissing in the wind,as not many if any have a good word to say about any of them.

This is City fans talking to other City fans,and although common ground won't always be shared,I don't feel any of our own players are a laughing stock,as other fans/media will say.
I don't even put Sterling into that kind of category,and that is a big statement coming from me

If you are looking as a gauge to what MNF,Garth fucking Crooks,5 Live and other media outlets think of our players and staff you are well and truly pissing in the wind,as not many if any have a good word to say about any of them.

This is City fans talking to other City fans,and although common ground won't always be shared,I don't feel any of our own players are a laughing stock,as other fans/media will say.
I don't even put Sterling into that kind of category,and that is a big statement coming from me

The discussion is about public perception outside City fans, so it doesn't matter if you think the media is bias or not.

Otamendi is seen as a failure of a transfer, a waste of £32m who failed to replace Kompany and adequately partner either Mangala or Stones in Vinny's absence.

Whether you think that appraisal of his abilities is fair doesn't matter (even I wouldn't say it is fair), only if that is the consensus.

And from everything I've read, watched and heard, it is.

The fact that some City fans can't even bear to acknowledge that people on the outside view our players as bad shows a shocking level of blue tinted goggles I'm genuinely staggered exists.

He's nowhere near as good but you think the back to back winners of the CL and current Spanish Champions would buy him?
Just to clarify, he might well be good enough for Real Madrid but he's not good enough for City? I just don't follow this logic, at all.
I'm not sure why you don't follow it as it's pretty straight forward. Certain players are better in certain systems and I think Otamendi comes under this category. The way we set up isn't going to get the best out of a player like Otamendi, we are far too open and allow opposition too much space in the final third which has left us exposed on far too many occasions.
He's more than capable of getting in that last ditch tackle thatblooks impressive but he's also capable of finding himself bullied and caught out positional wise. He's a good player and towards the back end of the season he was very impressive. I've not seen him do it enough on a consistent basis though to care if he's sold or not. Like I said, I wouldn't be unhappy to see him stay but I'd consider a bid which made the sale worthwhile.

The discussion is about public perception outside City fans, so it doesn't matter if you think the media is bias or not.

Indeed it is,but you are feeling so hung up about the public's perception of us,why ?

We have had stick for years off other fans,well I have,such and such is shit,and he's shit,and he's shit,and back in the day they were generally right,not that it can be said too much these days mind

Otamendi worth as much as VVD? Pack it in!

He can pass, but he's not a ball playing defender in the mold of Stones or Laporte. He can have good games, but he's not a leader. He can win headers, but he's struggled against the more physical centre forwards we've faced and he very rarely scores.

Basically he's good but he's not great. VVD is arguably better at all of these things and over the same two seasons Otamendi has been around is widely perceived to be a better player, thus he is worth far more money. We already ready have one hit-and-miss centre back in Johnny Rocks, we simply can't afford to have another and challenge for major honours across the board.

Plus Otamendi is already 29 years old and has another 3 years on his contract, it's likely Pep already doesn't trust him, frankly if we can offload him to a team that will suit his style more it would be best for both parties.

And as for pulling Madrid's pants down... They're not signing him to be the first name on a team sheet they're signing him to replace Pepe. £25 million and upwards would be superb business.

This VVD everyone now speaks of, who is he? Is he the decent yet unspectacular lad plying his trade in the mid table of the Prem?
We've seen many of these, and I dare say Otamendi would be earning rave reviews were he at Southampton. Off the top of my head, I've heard the likes of Scott Dann, Loveren, Shawcross, Gibson, Keane, Fonte's, Williams, Reid even Jonny fucking Evans all earn rave rave reviews. All be a pundits outside bet to improve club x or y.
VVD may turn out to be excellent. So far though he's had a decent season and a good 6 months, but lets be honest Southampton hardly fell apart in his absense did they? Southampton were still decent at the back with Yoshida & Jack Stevens.

Why we are so quick to denigrate our own players I've no idea. If he cuts out the mistakes and continues to learn the Prem he'll be a top draw defender.
He excelled at Porto was bought by Valencia, he excelled at Valenica and was bought by City, we're now led to believe he's wanted by Madrid. The lad is obviously doing something right.

Go figure.

He has good stats. Supporters tend to focus on the high profile errors but he does an awful lot of good work that gets overshadowed. Whoscored's algorithm is not without merit, the other players in the European and EPL teams of the season are very mostly players that you would expect: Messi, Neymar Hazard, Dzeko, Thiago, KDB, Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.