It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Neville Kneville has a tendency for these strawmen statements.

Not only didn't it refute the claim you made, it is also exaggerated and borderline false.

Fernandihno was not "doing an unusual amount of defending"... For fuck sajes, City possessed the ball at a higher rate than any club in the world. So no one at City (and that Includes Fernandihno) was doing that much defending.

I mean no City player.... I repeat no City player was in the top 100 in any of the following categories.

In tackles attempted, tackles made, double teams, ariel duels won and Interceptions.

The reason why this is true is because we had the ball so much that none of these situations occurred enough against us for any of or players to be relevant at it.

So, No! Fernandihno wasn't running up and doing an unreasonable amount of defending. That belief is equal parts false and laughable.

Busquets has spent more time running around trying to defend than Dihno has this season. These are just verifiable facts.

The reason why being great defensively as a DM isn't that important to how we play is inherent in the facts and stats from this season.

Dihno is fantastic and did a supremely good job this season. But one of the weaknesses in his game, is technical comfortability under pressure, and movement under pressure.

TrufT is we won't see enough of it often all season, but in 6-7 games a season (and a majority in the CL final stages) these pressure styled teams will crack us every now and again if Dihno is the DM for those games.

Fernandinho has been covering the defence whilst others haven't.

You would miss most of it because your tv doesn't show it.

And anyone who uses the term 'strawman' is a yuppie ****.

Yes he hasn't needed to shake up things because 1) there were more pressing needs and 2) for the better part of his time here Dinho has been very solid. Even last year, we had Yaya sharing the job with him who did fairly well but whose legs are now gone. We cannot wait for Fernandonho's legs to give up before we shake up things. I'm fairly certain that Pep will bring in a DM this window but your guess as to who is as good as mine.

The fact that he hasn't had to bring in a DM doesn't automatically suggest that he wouldn't need one now.

I know that Pep played with Vidal and Alonso at Bayern (sometimes individually and sometimes together) and so he may not be uptight about the player needing to have a great passing range but if we can find one who excels I'm the defensive aspects and yet has that extra weapon of a better passing range, we will do well to go for such a player rather than say Fernandinho can do the job. Afterall Fernandinho should not be made to do it all alone all season long at his age.

I want us to sign a dm & would be completely happy for him to play alonside Fernandinho in some games.

I don't think we need some smararse there spreading the ball around in most games as we have a team full doing it. But I'm also happy to have one of those to have the option if we need it.

But irrespective, Fern is fucking great with or without the ball & if he didn't have a role of babysitting our cbs & covering for a team full of attackers he'd be much better creatively, & be able to go forward as he used to before we signed him.

it's appeared to me in the past few games that the seriously tight marking of Silva and Kev whilst allowing Fern to run out or pass out from the back in space has become a tactic for the opponent, and it worked as he did give the ball away or make poor passes at points which immediately put us back into a defensive transition which is something we've increasingly become poor at.

I don't have the answer to have a rampant clinical, creative, quick transition and attacking side that has a near foolproof defensive shape and system that has a mighty defensive transition and is rock solid and snuffs out attacks in the biggest of games. The back door tends to get left ajar with us and it's been exploited in the past 2 weeks. We need someone with an expert passing range who can find double-marked players 99/100 times yet is energetic and astute enough to be back in the correct covering position to snuff out attacks. Fern's ability to do both has declined as the big games have come in recent weeks, and he's on the wrong side of the age spectrum for there to be a long-lasting rejuvination.

As Pep dropped in about Dave earlier, these stalwarts need to be squad players and forced onto the bench by the stars of the next generation who give us that added edge to overcome a Klopp Liverpool and win the big ties. It's a conundrum as we have experience, just not Ronaldo, Messi or Ramos experience in big CL games. No-one's turned up in the past 2 weeks and laid claim to be the man, and looking at Ronaldo carrying Real and how many times Messi has (albeit he failed this week for once), it's something we lack. Sane, Kev, Jesus are capable, but they're too inconsistent at the moment, whereas Salah isn't.

A technically gifted DM is not a luxury for a system like ours though. Whenever we have someone who is limited in the ball playing deep, our quick transition to attack is somewhat stifled and because most teams would stay deep and tight against us, it becomes increasingly difficult to break them down. You want a new DM to partner Dinho in some games, I'd say it wouldn't be out of place (or better still in our best interest) if we looked for someone who at the very least would rotate with Dinho 50/50 next season.

Fern is one of the better players in our team but passing in the ilk of Alonso, Busi, etc has never been his forte.
I want us to sign a dm & would be completely happy for him to play alonside Fernandinho in some games.

I don't think we need some smararse there spreading the ball around in most games as we have a team full doing it. But I'm also happy to have one of those to have the option if we need it.

But irrespective, Fern is fucking great with or without the ball & if he didn't have a role of babysitting our cbs & covering for a team full of attackers he'd be much better creatively, & be able to go forward as he used to before we signed him.

Fernandinho has been covering the defence whilst others haven't.

You would miss most of it because your tv doesn't show it.

And anyone who uses the term 'strawman' is a yuppie ****.
Does your brain hurt when trying to figure the meaning of the word strawman? It's a pretty freakish and weird thing to insult someone based on the usage of this word.

A technically gifted DM is not a luxury for a system like ours though. Whenever we have someone who is limited in the ball playing deep, our quick transition to attack is somewhat stifled and because most teams would stay deep and tight against us, it becomes increasingly difficult to break them down. You want a new DM to partner Dinho in some games, I'd say it wouldn't be out of place (or better still in our best interest) if we looked for someone who at the very least would rotate with Dinho 50/50 next season.

Fern is one of the better players in our team but passing in the ilk of Alonso, Busi, etc has never been his forte.

Yes i'd be happy for a dm to play 70% of games instead, if he was as good.

I've just seen KDB fail under a press in several situations & he's supposed to be better.

Does your brain hurt when trying to figure the meaning of the word strawman? It's a pretty freakish and weird thing to insult someone based on the usage of this word.

No.

I just think it's a fucking ****'s disrespectful, easy way out of a discussion & it makes me want to fucking throw up & afterwards they deserve no tolerance whatsoever.

No.

I just think it's a fucking ****'s disrespectful, easy way out of a discussion & it makes me want to fucking throw up & afterwards they deserve no tolerance whatsoever.
Then fucking imagine the frustration of those who get strawman arguments such as the ones you make which don't relate to what the original poster said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.