It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so BIG if we sign him, all night there have been teams players etc who are not football related tweeting about messi. Hes a massive Icon, over 20 million tweets in 24 hours thats mental

I'd love to see the little guy play for us but certainly not if we have to undo 10 years of hard work, bringing wages to a sensible structure, nobody being 'bigger than the club', forward planning, not overpaying transfer fees etc. It stinks of a last chance at dominating Europe whilst we still have Pep which I get but I do worry about the negative long term affect this will have. Hell it wouldn't be City if we didn't put the fans through it!

I don’t think having arguably the best footballer of all time on more money than the likes of Sterling and De Bruyne for example will make one bit of difference personally.

The wage bill has dropped dramatically by the sales of Sane, Silva etc and salary differences apply in every football club or any organisation for that matter.

No negative long terms effects, I see quite the opposite and imagine how the players will feel on bringing him to our football club...imagine Phil Foden for example?

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity which we should grab with both hands.

What about the rumour going round messi is having 2nd thoughts?? apparently he’s seen our champs lg kit for next season!! ;)

How does this actually work I mean with a normal transfer you work out what a player is worth and work out what the club will accept and a deal is done how do you work out what Messi is worth ? How do you work out what Messi is worth with only a year to go ? How do you find out if you can have him for free before a potentially drawn out legal battle or work out what Barca might accept if they thought they might loose. His value is anywhere between nothing and nearly 700 million depending on what figures are used. @tolmie's hairdoo says we have everything agreed with Messi but that surely dependent on getting him at a reasonable price

Wow at those Instagram figures. You can’t even put a figure on the impact he would have on the club and brand - we would become exponentially more popular and bring in a new generation of fans and sponsorships.

You’ve worded it perfectly mate, this accelerates us at light speed.

Estimated £250m total costs (£50m wage a season and £100m fee) to have him here for 3 seasons would be the biggest a bargain in the history of the game. In a world where Dembele cost Barca £140m, Pepe cost Arsenal £80m (plus wages!) etc I’m not sure what anyone is smoking if they don’t see the incredible impact this will have and the value it will bring us over the next 10, 20, 30 years and beyond.
In a footballing sense, I still have my concerns about a 33 year old playing his first season in England (wet Tuesday in Stoke etc), but from a commercial perspective there's only 2 players who can do that. Mbappe may be a better long term bet as a player for someone, but is he as marketable, I doubt it

I'd love to see the little guy play for us but certainly not if we have to undo 10 years of hard work, bringing wages to a sensible structure, nobody being 'bigger than the club', forward planning, not overpaying transfer fees etc. It stinks of a last chance at dominating Europe whilst we still have Pep which I get but I do worry about the negative long term affect this will have. Hell it wouldn't be City if we didn't put the fans through it!
I get your drift and I must admit I’m not totally sold on the idea myself. However, I’ve decided to give my head a wobble and stop being a miserable twat. We’re talking about signing the best player that ever lived, or certainly one of them. Doesn’t seem that long ago I turned up ten minutes late at Edgeley Park and we were losing 2 nil. Bring it on!

In a footballing sense, I still have my concerns about a 33 year old playing his first season in England (wet Tuesday in Stoke etc), but from a commercial perspective there's only 2 players who can do that. Mbappe may be a better long term bet as a player for someone, but is he as marketable, I doubt it

Even age wise there’s a solid two years in him surely. Silva has just left who is a year older and I think we all would have agreed we’d have kept him another season, footballing wise he still would have contributed. Considering Messi has had a career of being kicked all over the show and battered each English side he’s come up against then there’s no footballing issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.