It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
like the ones he just mentioned. zouma for 25m?! abraham for 35m?! crazy prices for thes 2 when you're quoting bernardo for 40m.
I think the issue there is Bernardo’s valuation. Zouma and Abraham seem about right to me

like the ones he just mentioned. zouma for 25m?! abraham for 35m?! crazy prices for thes 2 when you're quoting bernardo for 40m.
Abraham has scored consistently (when given the chance) in the Prem, Championship and even has CL goals to his name. 35m is hardly a crazy fee.

Zouma, experienced defender with plenty of apps at the top level. Again, 25m is about right.

I think it was likely City who pulled the plug rather than Kane. From his message yesterday it was clear he still wants out.
I agree hihosilva.

Moreover...

Levy has stated that he doesn't want to sell Kane - maybe City thought that was a bluff, or that with Kane dead set on leaving Levy would cave, and thus we'd be able to buy Kane this window eventually.

But was the pursuit of Kane well thought out?

Levy might sell Kane, but only if he could find a suitable replacement. And even then, he'd drive a very difficult transaction - we'd end up paying north of £120M for a 28 year old striker! Honestly, that's ridiculous!

Levy seemingly couldn't find a replacement for Kane and the deal fell through.

And unless we were prepared to play without a replacement for Aguero this season - then I think that the pursuit of Kane was a botched concept from the start.

And, if we are willing to play without a replacement for Aguero - why then did we pursue such an expensive 28 year old replacement? Yes he's extremely talented - yes Pep admires him - and yes he wants to play for our side. But face reality. He's owned by a side that doesn't want to trade him, he's 28 years old, if we were, in fact, successful in buying him, he'd cost literally an arm and a leg, and Kane's current contract with Spurs runs until 2024 - and thus Kane has little leverage to drive a trade.

For me it is City showing our strength again. We won't be held ransom for a clearly over market value price. We're in this for the long haul and having a selling club like Spurs extort us serves us trouble in the future any time we come for a target.

Everyone talked about how City always splashes cash for the most expensive squad ever... but at the same time they would all agree that City surely wouldn't spend 100M for a player because it isn't what they do. (Until we went and did it)

Everyone talked about how many 50M fullbacks we'd sign and how ludicrous it is that we're able to do so on the likes of a Kyle Walker... but nobody thinks that City overspent for him anymore now, do they? (They can point at the failure of the Mendy signing if they like, but I still think that serious injuries robbed him, and us, of his highest potential)

Yes, I think that Kane was absolutely our transfer priority and we were unable to get him. Yes, I'll be disappointed if we don't bring in who is capable of being our man at the point of the spear. But making a deal that weakens our future transfer positions is just bad. And we aren't just in this for now, we are attempting to win our 6th title out of the last 10. (And our Owner and Chairman seem determined to keep the trophy haul a'coming)

But the other side of this is that the Champions of Europe have strengthened, have had a training season with an excellent manager, and they clearly mean to be this season's Champions of England.

I hope we bring in the striker that we all know we need.

Imagine being a Spurs player.
Knowing that your club will always sell, underpay (comparatively) or trap their best players and give them almost no hope of competing for the highest honours. What player of quality would be content to commit their future to them? Imagine being in the locker room with Harry now. A man denied the opportunity to have his dream move after all of his loyal and exemplary service and having a gentleman's agreement from ownership that he could move. Who'd ever trust them again?
Spurs are over and they all must know it.

The people currently running the club have brought us the past 9 years and should have all the credit in the world for that.

Still, this Kane debacle makes you wonder what the thought process was.

Jack Pitt-Brooke is a twat of magnitude infinity but his piece on this suggests the deal was never on from Spuds' perspective.

Junior people within City were told it was - these seem to be the sources that filtered through to Sam Lee, etc. But Spuds we're apparently never selling.

And no one from City even spoke to them at the first match?

Suggests to me that people at the Omar level assumed that Levy would eventually sell. Or maybe that Spuds' financial problems would force the issue.

Their finances are a dumpster fire but they've kicked that can down the road a bit. They don't need Kane money to keep the locks from being changed at the stadium.

Like my Dad said to me last thing when I moved out "never assume anything." Seems like a good basis for underpinning the next transfer strategy.

If I were them I'd throw Juve a few shekels and get Ronaldo in. I think he would rake in goals and the optics of pulling that off seem to be sorely needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.